Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

Thanks Everyone, for all your suggestions. Vent covers are definitely an excellent idea!
As for at the ammonia treatment... I need more background before I'd consider introducing additional chemicals into the mix.
My question(s) to those of you who have used this procedure:
How does this treatment actually work? Does anyone know what the chemical reaction is that allows the ammonia to absorb the residue of formaldehyde or construction adhesive /materials? Is there an ammonia smell left in the unit after the treatment? What about mattresses, seat cushions, pillows etc. Are there any materials or components in the interior that I have to be concerned about surface damage or discoloration from the ammonia exposure?

Thanks again in advance!
CC
CanukCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #22
Site Team

I don't know how it works--it worked on mine that's all I know. For the answers you want, you will more then likely have to ask a chemical engineer.

It didn't hurt any of the other components in my camper, that you mentioned.
It's your choice whether or not to try it on your camper.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

Like Lloyd says, I do not know why it works, I only know it does. I put vent covers on mine, because the sun down here hats the stock covers. They just plain dissapeared. Left for a trip, the they were all there 90 miles Later afte setting up, went into the bunk room and it was gone just leaving the frame. replace all three, and with in two months I installed the smoke color one. My theroy is they cut down on the uv ray's
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

I am having the Max Air covers put on mine while it is in the shop. The lids as is are thin and cheap anyway. These will help provide some protection as well as give me the ability to open during inclimate weather.

As far as the smell. I just opened mine up. Cabinets, windows, and door. Smell was gone.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #25
Full Time Camper

Just got the Cruiser out of storage and all is well; no moisture thanks to silica cat litter. No mice this year.
We decided to try RV Shocker to rid the RV of that stale smell and it worked well leaving the RV smelling sterile.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #26
Site Team

Seems like great stuff. Even could be used when buying a used Rv. Or eliminating pet odors in the Rv

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:29 AM   #27
New Camper

I am so glad I came across this thread. I have been racking my brain all winter trying to figure out what the smell could be from and how to get rid of it. It's a new unit from last June and I was fearing the worst. I even ran an inspection camera through the wall from the outside fridge vent yesterday thinking the odor might be mold. My first guess was cheap leather smell mixed with cabinet wood stain and wall paper glue. It's an awful odor that clings to everything including plastics and food cans. The odor in my unit seems to be limited to the pantry and the cabinet above the TV which is why I was inspecting that wall. I feared it was mold but after reading this thread I now realize I am not alone and it is more common than I thought. They obviously use the same stain and glue in these units regardless of brand. Venting is not the issue in my case as the unit has been vented year round and it doesn't help one bit. I will try these suggestions to absorb the odor and hope like crazy that it helps. It's an acceptable smell in the trailer but a terrible smell once the food from the pantry is brought into the house. It doesn't taste good either as any soft food seems to absorb it and hold if forever.
fronzie359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #28
New Camper

Fronzie359, did you solve your smell issue, if yes, How did you solved it? I do have the same problem. tks
maz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #29
New Camper

I put an open margarine container of ammonia in the trailer for 24 hours, so far I don't see a difference. I will leave it there another 24 hours and hope the smell goes away. If this doesn't work the next step will be to try a scent absorber. I will keep you posted.
fronzie359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #30
Full Time Camper

Wipe down every surface and open it up and ventilate.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:53 AM   #31
Full Time Camper

Put in a pie tin.....
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:37 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronzie359 View Post
I put an open margarine container of ammonia in the trailer for 24 hours, so far I don't see a difference. I will leave it there another 24 hours and hope the smell goes away. If this doesn't work the next step will be to try a scent absorber. I will keep you posted.
I don't think you put out enough containers of the ammonia. I used several pie plates placed in different spots. Plus I did it on a very warm sunny day with the camper sitting outside in the sun, completely closed up.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #33
Weekend Camper

I plan on trying the amonia in pie tins in May just before we camp next. Should be plenty hot to really do the trick by then. I plan on placing several tins of ammonia around the camper...and maybe some small ones on each shelf in the pantry! I assume it would be best to go around an open up all the cabinet doors when I do this? Just to make sure the ammonia permeates everywhere?

Thanks!
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:31 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge2 View Post
I plan on trying the amonia in pie tins in May just before we camp next. Should be plenty hot to really do the trick by then. I plan on placing several tins of ammonia around the camper...and maybe some small ones on each shelf in the pantry! I assume it would be best to go around an open up all the cabinet doors when I do this? Just to make sure the ammonia permeates everywhere?

Thanks!
I think a few pans on the floor with all cupboard doors open should be enough to do the job.
The more open pans you have to deal with when removing---the more chance you will have of spilling one.

When you go in there to open it up for airing and removal, believe me, it won't be fun.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #35
Weekend Camper

Well looks like this thread started in Aug of 2014, I chimed in in Jan of 2015...

We have a 2013 Zinger BH 28' ..... I swear the smell inside is getting worse. Opened the doors the other day to ventilate & It's pretty wicked in there! We could smell it wafting down the driveway... 20' in front of the trailer! I am concerned that it could be a mouldy smell & not the smell of construction materials that I was thinking it is.

I did hav a few small windows open over the winter but the roof vent covers I installed last year aren't helping a lot given all the snow on the roof over the winter. But the vents and several windows were open all last summer - Nothing seems to help very much.

We seems to get the same smell in the unit that was there when we bought it but it seems to be on the upswing rather than dissapating as you would expect of a "New trailer Smell" over time.

So I am thinking - If it were mold, where does it normally show up in RVs? We have never seen anything that resembled mold. I thought I read earlier of someone checking their Fridge vent for mold. Is this a commom place for it to show up & where else is it important to watch for mold? I would think that the bathroom & window frames are common places to watch.... We do some early & late season camping so the heat is on a lot & the moisture on the windows etc can be plentyful. However on warmer days & when we are not using the unit, we tend to ventilate all the time, 3 roof vents wide open & a couple small windows. That always seems to dry things out pretty good. We dont really use this unit any differently than our old '05 Dutchmen... We never had any issue with mold in it or strange smells either. Ventilation never seemed to be an issue.

Any suggestions & thoughts are welcome.
CanukCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #36
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge2 View Post
Has anyone else found that the food they keep in the pantry still smells like the pantry when you take it back into your house? I am a notorious over-packer - at least where camping food and snacks are concerned. I like to be prepared with options! We do not normally notice a smell in the pantry at all. The camper smells like camper...and we are not opposed to that smell. But when the trip is over and we take all the left-over dry goods back into the house, the camper smell stays with them. And it's pretty strong! You don't necessarily want a big wiff of camper every time you grab a cracker or have a bowl of Cheerios.

Again, this only seems to happen if the food is in there more than a few days. The pantry doesn't seem damp or anything, and we have had the a/c running for the past several trips, so the temperature in there stays pretty steady.

Next trip out I'm going to try a box of baking soda in there and see if that makes a difference. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Amy
Hello Amy good luck we have the same problem since day one the smell is still there
Sunnydunn
Sunny Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #37
New Camper

I have a 2014 Sunset Trail 28bh I to have the same problem with oder inside my trailer it gets into everything and you can smell it in everything that comes back inside my house after camping. Love the trailer hate the smell.
Freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:01 AM   #38
New Camper

Smell

I am thinking that it is something that they used in manufacturing trailer.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:59 AM   #39
Weekend Camper

I would be interested to know if it's just Crossroads or do other RV owners, such at Forest River, experience a similar smell that clings to everything??
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:15 AM   #40
New Camper

I have been paying close attention to other trailers as well.I haven't smelt anything in others brands, I also asked them.I went around to other RV business that had Sunset Trailers and noticed they had the same smell.The placed where we bought this trailer is no longer selling this brand name trailers due to some problems that they are having.Again I believe it is something the manufacture used when building these trailer.I would love to hire a lawyer and fight this company there are to many trailers out there across Canada and the USA having the same issues.