Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Saturday I just got a letter from the city telling me that I can not park my travel trailer in the side yard next to my drive way. It is gravel. They are going to fine me $50.00 a day until I move it. I thought this was America!! Why have a property if you can't use it. I have a meeting with the Building codes inspector. we will see what happens. Has any one else had this problem?
Thanks for your feed back!

2008 F150 4.2L V6 yes a V6

2009 Zinger 19RD
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Ever city is different. You might have to black top the area. I know a city near me had the same ordinates. It included boats, RV and any type of trailer. They had to be black topped. Some people had them on the glass. They are all worried about how it makes the area look to other people. Keep fighting it!!!
campingWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

What they are telling me that I have to be 35 feet back from the property line. I just think big brother is getting to much into our business. We will see. I will let ya know after our meeting Tuesday at 3:00.
Wish me luck!

2009 Zinger 19RD
Old 06-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
Way back in '95, when my wife and I bought our property and had the house built, the HOA paperssaid that there was no parking of anything on the grass, including cars, RVs, boats, etc. This was supposed to keep un-sightly dead spots from being in the grass when you moved whatever was parked there. We checked with the HOA and they said parking on the driveway was fine. The only issue there was that our documents said the driveways had to be concrete, asphalt, or some other solid surface. Since that time, there is one person (not me) that parks the travel trailer in their grass and at least one other that has installed a gravel apron on his driveway for his classic cars. Rules are made to be broken.Who is enforcing them determines what the penalty will be.

....As campingwi has said, every location is different.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

These Municipalities are all worry about their image to attract people to move there. They are all need to be within reason. I would try to reason with them and all to come and meet in the middle. Make everyone happy.
campingWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Yup, I had a pad poured when we build my new home in a development (where not HOA was established) and after the HOA was established I had to move my camper. (Because I live on a corner lot) for those with wood behind them were allowed to keep their campers. I fought the fight and found the true colors of some neighbors because of it, but moved my camper to a military facility (local). I would have more than likely moved it anyway, but was upset that I was given no choices. Many neighborhood are requiring this of boats and trailers and even pull behind flat trailers also. Guess it's all in the location, location, location. My next home will be in the woods with no one around or see my trailer and such.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:16 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Each community is different. In some it pays to fight, and you may get what you want. In others fightingcan end up being financially painful.

Case in point. Our community requires trailers/boats etc to be parked behind the front of the home. Generally is not enforced in our short Michigan summer, but sure is when winter comes.Neighbor refused to obey andDecember comes with a foot of snow on the ground and the trailer in the side yard jutting out past the front of the home. Township requires him to move it, he fights. They come out to inspect. Not only is the trailer in violation but his storage shed doesn't meet code as it is not the required 5 feet away from the property line. We're nowin January with more than a foot of snow. Township requires both the trailer be moved and the shed moved by 2/1 or they will haul both away at the owners expense. Neighbor still refuses and chose to call their bluff. He and his wife come home from work one day and no trailer, no shed. Both are moved to an impound lot. Now he has to pay all the moving expenses incurred by the township + daily impound fees for both the trailer and the shed. In addition he must move both back at his expense. Township wins, he loses.

I've learned never to assume anything and check with zoning ordinances before I choose to do anything.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I had a similiar situation, we have no HOA but I did get a letter from the city about moving my RV, I was told it was too big and too tall, I did see a lawyer and found it it's against the law to descriminate against on particular thing, if you are going to ban campers, then boats, utility trailers and anything else other than cars has to be banned, I did threaten to sue an I told them when everything else was moved I would then move mine, I live on the lake erie shore and there are boats everywhere nobody had to move and the issue died, just don't let them think they have the upper hand...good luck

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I guess paying taxes and trying to do the right thing isn't good enough for the government. i think all government employees must of been kids that were picked on in school and now they can get there revenge on us. LOL

2009 Zinger 19RD
Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I will also say it depends on the municipality. However, first thing would be to ask for a copy of the ordinance so that it spells out EXACTLY what the code is, not the inspectors interpretation of the code! Where I live, during the months of Apr-Oct. you can pretty much park the rv anywhere, even on the street for up to two weeks at a time(grandparents clause), but during the months of Nov-Feb, the Rv, boat, etc, must be stored behind the front plane of the house and on a solid surface, i.e. concrete or asphalt. Gravel is only allowed if the driveway is grandfathered in. So, I poured a new 85-foot pad, and ran a 30-amp circuit with cable out to the pad. So "Camp Driveway" is open 24-7, 365 days a year
One other thought, unless your inspectors have nothing to do, I doubt they just drove by and cited you, there must have been a complaint from a neighboor or something. Do any of the other neighboors have campers, boats that might have gotten gigged by the same thing?

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I guess I'm lucky, We live out in the country on an acre lot, The drive way is about 160ft lond 25ft wide all concreet with a pad next to the garage with 30amp plug in right there. Ithe garage is 30ft deep so the camper does well sitting there. I might see if i can get a pic
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Don if you have that much room, how did chris take out the mail box? Chris said that the mail box ran out in front of him

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Frank, I still have not figured it out. It was like 4:30 am and I think he thought he had to sneek out, I think he thought he should have given a little money, He ate like 6 pounds of Lemmon Pepper Chicken wings, Half Gallon on Vodka, Half cord of fire wood . Once he saw my beed room light come on he gunned it, Then he gunned it again only to figure out it was the mail box holding him back. Thats when he started thinking and Rammed it over.

Now you know why I have not been able to aford a new box.

Sorry back on topic.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Local governments are looking for money. I watched our local code inspector

drive down the street and get out and measure how far trees and bushes

were from the road all the way down the street. I saw him write something up for one neighbor. They need fines and

fees because revenues are so low. It will just get worse.

07 Chevy Silverado Z71

07 Zinger 32QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/P1000558.jpg
thegreatcanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

You have that right. There is a town in the center part of the state here, that the mayor and city board directed the police chief and department to go out a write 100 tickets a day.The chief of police went public with this order. The mayor denied it but being the genius he is he put it in writing.

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

This beautiful country of ours is no longer "by the people, for the people".

Rather "for the politician, by the politician".

Walt
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

We had the same problem at our last house. The city said that the trailer could not be parked on gravel and that it had to be setting on a solid surface. So I poured three pads. One for each set of tires and one for the front jack to set on so that it was setting on a solid surface. They came back and looked at it and said that the whole drive had to be solid. I told them that they told me it had to be setting on a solid surface and it is. I also told them when I saw all of the cars that are parked in peoples yards in the city moved onto a solid surface that I might think of changing it. I never heard from them again.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:04 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee

Walt

This is our fault. We elect these folks, we fund them and we accept what they decide. Unlike our founding fathers who had two choices .... submit or rebel ... we have the voting booth.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee

Walt

This is our fault. We elect these folks, we fund them and we accept what they decide. Unlike our founding fathers who had two choices .... submit or rebel ... we have the voting booth.

Try to get a non politician on the national ballot. It is no longer who is the best choice it is more who's worse than the other. Even if you write to them their response is that they know best. They use a lot of words to say it, but that is what they say. Term limits and raises by the people served only. They should have the benifits and average salary of the people they serve.Edited by: Chrisnan23

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy1967
Frank, I still have not figured it out. It was like 4:30 am and I think he thought he had to sneek out, I think he thought he should have given a little money, He ate like 6 pounds of Lemmon Pepper Chicken wings, Half Gallon on Vodka, Half cord of fire wood . Once he saw my beed room light come on he gunned it, Then he gunned it again only to figure out it was the mail box holding him back. Thats when he started thinking and Rammed it over.

Now you know why I have not been able to aford a new box.

Sorry back on topic.

There was no mail box there, none, Nan was out there checking.

And besides I didn't drink the whole half gallon, there was a sip in the bottom.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote