Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I am picking up my new Zinger 25BH on Tuesday. I found 5 page PDI checklist on the internet (I think it is for an Eagle brand) that looks pretty comprehensive that should help. I am not sure what the dealer is going to go over, but I ant to make sure I am not missing anything and then kicking myself later.

Does anyone have anything specificI should "absolutely" be looking for or at? Any past experiences I can learn from?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Have them demonstrate that EVERYTHING functions. Make them move it, run it, or whatever it does, be sure it works. Tell them to have the frig cooled down to temperature, not just show you it is getting cool.

Have them watch/help you do everything required to hitch/unhitch and completely set the camper up for camping, including leveling, etc. I don't care if it is winterized, have them put water in it and check everywhere for leaks and make sure the pump doesn't cycle due to leaks. They can re-winterize it after the PDI, don't settle for anything less.

Don't be in a rush to hook up and head home. Take an hour or so just to be in the unit and look around. You are liable to notice things that need adjusted, touched up, etc. Easier to get it done before you leave.

Ask them to check the lug nut torque with a torque wrench and also check the spring hanger bolts and U bolts.

It is your money, don't be rushed.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

climb under, over and through all. Take a pad and pen to take notes. A camera is a good extra.
Do NOT sign any papers until any problems are repaired, even if it means returning later to take it home.
If possible, find a campground near the dealer and camp for a couple days to try everything, yourself.
Of course, this means taking bedding and some food and utensils.

Edited by: seabee
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

I sent the dealer an email letting him know that I was planning on checking out everything and every system, top to bottom front to back and everything in between. I also asked to have a service guy on hand that could answer any technical questions. The salesman said the service department does their won walk through and repairs before I do mine, so I guess we willget a goodmeasure of their qualitywhen I get there.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Don't take their word for it - found issues on my PDI and refused to take delivery until it was corrected. If all goes well then your dealer is a "keeper".

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Do not hand them the check or sign any papers until the PDI is completed to your satisfaction. I don't care how long it takes, take as long as you need. We made the mistake of handing them the check before finishing the PDI and they rushed us through and spent extra time with the people next to us that hadn't paid them yet. Bring a video camera and record the whole thing. You can use it as a reference later. That helped us w/ winterizing and dewinterizing. Make them open up the panel and show you the water heater and how to winterize/dewinterize. Not only have them show you how to do/work everything, do each thing yourself as well so that you know you did it right. If they are putting your WDH on, have them show you how to hook and unhook and then do it a couple of times yourself w/ them watching. Be sure to note how it sits on the ball and how things work. Ask questions about how to adjust if you need to adjust later as most dealerships set up the WDH incorrectly. Climb on the roof and check it for cracks and/or leaks. Check all of your caulking and seals. Most importantly, do not take ownership until everything is to your satisfaction. Do not let your excitement get the better of you or you will miss things. If you have kids, leave them at home if you can. If you can't bring entertainment for them. We had to bring our daughter, so we set her up in the trailer w/ a portable DVD player (no TV in ours when we bought it) and a movie. It kept her occupied while we learned about the trailer. We had me video and DH learn the systems. It is a lot of info and you will be overwhelmed and exhausted. The video camera is a good tool to remember everything. You can also use it later if they say something was covered that wasn't. Good luck and enjoy your new trailer!

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

That was some very good advice for you Mike, it's much easier to get things fixed before you take delivery. Just left Camping World where my brother-in-law bought a new Komfort at the show last week and drove off without it due to issues uncovered during the PDI. If the person doing the PDI doesn't have answers to all your questions or is not familiar with your unit (the CW guy didn't know how to operate the self leveling system and several other things he should have) ask for someone else to demonstrate all the systems. Congratulations on you new unit, travel safe and enjoy.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Wow - a lot of great advice! Thanks to all, i really appreciate it. I have already told DW to be prepared to leave without it.. Just bought a new camera with a 16 Gb video card so I will be taking plenty of pictures and videos.