Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I own a Crossroads 21FD Slingshot with a 13,500 BTU AC unit. I am trying to purchase a portable generator and found a Ramsond 3500W (ramsond.com), it is rated for 3100W max. generator power at 30 Amps. Is this enough power (in watts) to run the AC unit? I know the CB on the power panel is 20 amps but I don't know the power requirements (in watts) for the AC unit. Thanks.
gregoja11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I am sorry but I only know what I have read here in regards to generators. Make sure the sound levels are within the standards with the national parks. I understand they are really strict on that. In regards to the AC it draws around 17 amps to start the compressor so the 20 should run it but nothing else that will draw large amount of amps. You will just have to watch the load.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks, yes I checked the sound level which is 59 dB at 21 feet, almost identical to the Honda portable generators which is 59 dB at rated load, except this unit is more powerful and eliminates the need to buy two Honda units and a parallel kit to tie them together. I'm still a bit unsure as I'm not familiar with Ramsond products.
gregoja11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
Site Team

I have the Honda 2000. It will run the AC/micro, but only one at a time. We have no problem with that. Normally you should be able to shut the AC down for the few minutes that the micro operates. As far as tying two together, we haven't found a need for that.
I'm not familiar with the Ramsond either.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I've never heard of Ramsond but the specs look interesting. I'd really like to hear it myself...if the 59 db is @ rated load it's a great value. The specs don't show what the sound levels are on econ mode (Honda is 42db). The rated power is 100 watts higher than the Honda 3000 yet is uses a smaller engine and is almost half the weight of the Honda. This is a concern to me but for 1/2 the price and for the amount I would use it, it's maybe something to think about.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Be carefull when you spend your hard earned money. A lot of companies are copying Honda but dont compare.
I have not heard of them either.
You can go to a camping world and they will crank up a Honda in the showroom for you. That's pretty cool and impressive.
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Smaller engine, half the weight, half the price...hmmmm.
Not accredited by the BBB, but quite a few complaints. I bought a Honeywell 2000 for half the price of a Honda, so many problems finally gave it away and bought two Hondas and very satisfied. Just MHO...for what its worth.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I'm not going to bad mouth Ramsond but I will give you firsthand info I'm familiar with. Prior to these generators selling in the United States they must pass EPA CARB certification and a relative of mine owns the emission testing service that provide such test and performed them for these units. 20 units were sent for testing and out of those 20 only 6 could be tested. The reason only 6 were tested was because parts from other units that wouldn't run had to be removed and installed on other units to come up with 6 working units. After some RND and parts refinement the running units eventually passed CARB certification, on the durability side of things, lets just say it was sub-par. None of the 6 units made it past 150 hours and most were leaking oil or the motor locked up. Some of the units would not power over 10 amps but power and reliability was not what the test was for. After the first group was tested another 20 were sent with all motor CARB requirements performed and they all started and passed. Once again for grins we put the units under a load test to see how long they would last and again it was a sub-par performance. As for the DB level, that was in the ECO mode and its louder than 59 DB but I can't remember what it was. I've seen allot of knock-off brand generators go thru emission testing that are junk and a few that have been great, I myself wouldn't own a Ramsond product. Keep in mind these test were back in 07-08 so Ramsond may have improved durability over the last few years.

Edited by: sking
Old 01-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Honda has a new 3000i-handi model that is less weight than the original 3000-series and has built in handles for ease of movement. I plan to upgrade this year from my honda 2000-companion that I use at camp walmart and other places...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

For what it's worth .... I have the two Hondas with parallel kit and am pleased so far, only used them a couple times, have not heard of the Ramsond either but as has been said, you'll probably get what you pay for, just MHO.
Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamar
Honda has a new 3000i-handi model that is less weight than the original 3000-series and has built in handles for ease of movement. I plan to upgrade this year from my honda 2000-companion that I use at camp walmart and other places...

I saw this too, but noticed that the sound levels were not as low as Honda's original 3000. The posted db's were not rediculously higher, but higher.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I have the 3000 honda inverterand really like it, now 10 years old and still going strong. We had one trailer a 27ft bunk model that the honda couldn't start the air conditioner on. the dealer said it was a multistage ac unitandall the stages were trying to start at once andoverloading the wattage requirements. There was a kit you used to be able to buy that would time the unit starts and lower the wattage draw but we waited for months as it was back ordered only to find outthey quit making them.. Traded the trailer......LOL

I have buddies that can run their air with the Honda 2000 inverter but usually they have to take the eco throttle off so it is running at full to start the air.

the parallell 2000's sound like the way to go and I wish that was what I hadas i'm getting older and the 3000 is too much for me to lift into the truck now although a few years ago I could do it without an issue..

The chinese Honda knock off's are everywhere and somehave goodluck with them and some don't......... depends on how much you use the generator on whetheryou can warrant the price of a honda or yamaha...... they are the topdogs IMHO

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Stay away from Kipor - bought it because it was cheaper than a Honda - only worked one summer - just a big paper weight now. Should have purchased a Honda 2000 watt. Just wanted a smaller suit case style when I did not want to bring the Yamaha 4000 watt. The Yamaha 4000 watt that has been great - quite too.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

One thought on the Honda Handi is that is a manual start and smaller motorand lesser amp load.I have two 2000 Hondas,run 1 most of the time but the AC needed the second one then I'm at 4000 watts. The parallel kit just ties the 110v lines together with no fuse so you can make you're on with a 30amp plug an Y'ingthe leads into the parallel sockets (standerd banana plugs).

Like wise don't know about the other copies but the ones I've seen don't cut it. Yamaha also makes very good units.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Strangely enough my buddy bought a Kipor 2000back when they first arrived inOntario and he has had great luck with it thus far. I think he paid around $500 for it anddespite everyone telling him he would be sorry he actually hasn't been.

At that price he could afford to replacealmost 3 times tohit the cost of a 2000 honda up here so he was comfortabletaking the chance...

He lucked out....... many haven't.

My honda has been awesome, only issue was the battery froze the first year, never replaced it.The generator starts first pull everytime so I figured why bother.

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

all i know is my 2007 yamaha 3500sei still runs like a champ

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

i have a kipor 3000 for four years now. nothing but oil changes, and a spark plug. it was actually the first time i purchased something online. i'm in new york the seller was in the state of washington...his name was yuri. delivered to my door $1001.00 with a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter. 4 other familys we camp with bought from the same guy...only one had to re-jet the carb. we think it may have beenset up for high altiltude.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinella
i have a kipor 3000 for four years now. nothing but oil changes, and a spark plug. it was actually the first time i purchased something online. i'm in new york the seller was in the state of washington...his name was yuri. delivered to my door $1001.00 with a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter. 4 other familys we camp with bought from the same guy...only one had to re-jet the carb. we think it may have beenset up for high altiltude.

Thanks for the info - I'll look for a carb. kit and see if that takes care of my problems

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #19
New Camper

HelloMichael

On another topic..

Noticed you are towing a Seadoo type of unit

behind the 5th. In Canada they would call that a Btrain and will not allow it in certain Provinces. Would like to have one for my travels in USA..Is this legal in all states ?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Depends on the State. Our state allows it and works nice for when we go to state parks on the lake. I had to add a camera in the back so I could keep an eye on it otherwise you will forget it is back there.
Oh Yeah - don't even try to back up.

I have used the following link below as a guideline;

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

It is best to call the State's Department Of Transportation if you want to play it safe.

Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote