Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Potential Water Damage?

Since South Carolina has taken on Seattle's weather pattern with the rain, I have noticed that with my slide in the out position water is coming off of my slide out topper. It is then going down the side of the slide out and some is running under the slide out. I thought that the slide topper would prevent this but the water is puddling on top of the topper causing it to dip in the center. I know the best way to prevent this is to close the slide out but with it raining so much I need somewhere to go and hang out away from the DW. I am concerned with the water running underneath the slide on the wood floor it could cause potential water damage. I am sure that someone has come up with a fix for this and would love to get how they did it. Thanks for any advice that can be given.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side Edit.jpg (191.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Bottom Edit.jpg (299.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I don't have toppers, but I have seen some people use small beach balls or pool noodles to create a "tent" to direct water off.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

This is where we need the crossroads rep to respond...

I am also wondering what potential damage could occur from the bottom of the slide getting wet. My unit stays setup 6 months out of the year and all three of my slides get wet on the underside, very similar to your photos.
It seems like the under sides are made of cheap particle board that cant take much moisture without expanding. Not much can be done to stop the run off.
zerch911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #4
Site Team

Apparently the bottom of your slides aren't covered/sealed with the same type of material that is covering the bottom of the trailer?

Mine is sealed with a membrane, same as the bottom of trailer. You might want to consider getting something like that material and sealing the bottom of your slide with it.
I can't imagine that particle board is going to last very long if it continues to get moisture.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Potential Water Damage?

It has something that appears to be a spray on type sealer. It is like the boards are treated, but they do stain after they get wet. When I first bought the trailer, I thought they forgot something (my last unit had the membrane) but after looking at other new units they are all built the same now.
I am thinking about an additional spray or paint on type of sealant. Kinda of why I would like a response from Crossroads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I ran silicone along the bottom of the lower wall trim on my slide. My dad is a retired service tech, and said water sometimes wicks up thru the bottom (where belly wrap, wall, and trim all meet).

Check INSIDE. Carpet may be wet right at bottom of side wall. Then you will know for sure you have an issue.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I did the same when I first bought the unit, basically re-caulked the entire unit. I don't believe I have an issue, but it is just something that does not look like it stand up to repeat moisture.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Zerch you are correct, it does look like the particle board does have some kind of protection but I am still a little worried about it. I wonder if anyone from Crossroads can give any insight what it might be treated with. I think Eddy has a good ideal with the bead of silicon around the bottom. I also have checked inside and can not find any evidence of water but was more concerned with it over time.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

There is a crossroads rep that monitors the site and has provided a great deal of info on their products. Since I am on my phone, I can't figure out how to message her right now to read the thread.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Also, when I know there will be a heavy rain, I have used some gorilla tape and created a drip edge along the bottom of the slides so that the water is diverted past the bottom of the slide, but that is a little ridiculous to do all the time.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Talked to Crossroads tech..

Thanks to Christian for her assistance in getting me in touch with a Crossroads technician, I was able to get some answers to what is on the bottom of our slides.

Per the tech, the material on the bottom of the slides is purchased in exact sizes from a supplier whom supplies most all the RV industry with this type material. He did make it sound like "press board", but it is dipped in a water resistant sealer. Should something need to be cut during construction, then more sealer is added to cover the cut area. It appeared this is something they try to avoid.

We did discuss how I added an extra bead of silicone along the outer edge to further protect material. Which he responded is a good idea and would definitely not hurt anything.

Basically what I gathered (my opinion only) from the conversation is that some thought was put into the fact that this material would be exposed to the element, however repeated continuous exposure will break down the coating over a shorter period of time than the life expectancy of the unit. If water is getting on this material, I would attempt to do something divert the water.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Bring this thread back up....I am seriously considering putting some Thompson water seal on the bottom of my slides. Has anyone done this before?
My slides stay open all summer or about 7 months out of the year.... Can Thompson's damage wood or make it deteriorate for some reason? I have used it on a deck before with good results, but the underside of the slides is more like particle board than solid wood...
Old 03-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

My seasonal neighbors had same dip problem with their topper and had a mobile tech look at it. He raised the attachment channel on the wall of the trailer to create a steeper angle for the topper so run off would be greater also made a pvc pipe support that helped keep the angle in heavy rain and he is able to take the pvc apart and store when not used. he put crutch tips on the horizontal base to have a softer surface against the roof material.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerch911 View Post
Bring this thread back up....I am seriously considering putting some Thompson water seal on the bottom of my slides. Has anyone done this before?
My slides stay open all summer or about 7 months out of the year.... Can Thompson's damage wood or make it deteriorate for some reason? I have used it on a deck before with good results, but the underside of the slides is more like particle board than solid wood...
If it were my unit, I would probably buy a can of Hercules truck bed liner and roll/brush it on. Being a plastic material, it will be impervious to water and should last indefinitely. But before applying it, I would remove the aluminum trim at the bottom of the wall and remove any caulk as well, then make sure to brush the exposed edge of the floor. Finally reinstall the trim and caulk.

Another option would be to use Plasti-dip from Lowes or HD, it is available in both spray and brush on cans. Probably won't be as durable as the Hercules material.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Bike rack | RICH »