Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Power awning horror story

During our PDI the tech made it clear and plain that the power awning though cool, is a back step from the old spring loaded roll up.

Rain? Take it in.
Wind? Take it in?
Gonna be gone for a few hours? Take it in.
Wanna tile it so one side is a little lower? No.

So whats everyone's experience with these? Am I going to regret not getting a standard awning?
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Cool Follow instructions

Do what you are told ! Do not take chances ! Also get anti-flap devices to keep it in check in case you do not do as you are instructed ! Just saying.
TNTINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Deflappers? What does it hook to, there's no bar running along the side.
2015 ST270BH
Old 08-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Rain- no problem unless it's accompanied by gusty wind
Heavy wind- roll it in
Gone for a few hours- depends on weather forecast
Tilt one side down- yes, you can do that depending on your awning model (and roll it up that way also)
Anti flap device- can't reach awning to install without ladder, plus if a storm comes up quickly, must remove quickly before you roll up awning.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:13 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Over on another forum I frequent, a member devised a way to keep the awning out. He created a bracket you screw on to the awning arm. Both a pole and a ratchet strap pole attach to the bracket. The idea is to have the pole prevent the wind from pushing the awning down and the straps keep the awning from flying up. Members there have had great success doing this and keeping their awnings out in somewhat windy weather (some have had it out up to 40 mph winds with success, I'm not that brave). We just did the install last week during the forest river factory rally. Our warranty manager said it would not void our warranty and the inventor really should patent the design.

In the travel position
IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2dr8fnk.jpg[/IMG]

Another way of doing it.

This one used a bimeny (?) Tie down used on boat awnings and the cargo bars used in the bed of a truck to keep things from sliding. For awning tie down he used the kind that hooks to the awning track.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Looks like alot to add to an already expensive awning...

One option if you order your unit is awning delete, then install old-school manual type. I think for the most part, you will be happy with power awning. My friends have one and generally, never any issues.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I like our power awning. I would never go back to the spring type. I always lower the awning so water runs off, and I don't leave the camper for any length of time without rolling it in. So, no problems. By the way, I learned this the hard way.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Things to consider:
1) If you are gone - do you need the awning out?
2) If it raining too heavy for the awning - are you outside?
3) Overnight - if you are in bed do you need your awning out?
4) A lot of wind - even manual awnings are generally in.
I have a power awning now, I like it. I have never had any issues. I use a simple rule of thumb: If I need to be under it - it is out. Otherwise - retract it......

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
Looks like alot to add to an already expensive awning...

One option if you order your unit is awning delete, then install old-school manual type. I think for the most part, you will be happy with power awning. My friends have one and generally, never any issues.
It's actually quite simple. It is a 15 minute install process and only takes a couple of minutes to setup and take down.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Rain, both Dometic and Carefree have power awnings that can be tilted, I've used both. Dometic also has an auto dump feature, but I don't like the massive dump of water, preferring the steady run-off by tilting the awning.

Wind, high winds both manual and power awnings should be retracted. Yes both can be tied down, but fabric gets weaker with age and will tear. Moderate winds, a power awning is ez to retract to partially open to minimize impact.

Ease and speed of operation, the power awning wins hands down. No reason not to close the awning at night or when leaving the RV for even a short time.

Safety, I've never heard of a power awning un-rolling while driving.

Reliability, the one real negative. I've had a motor fail with the awning closed and it took some effort to replace. But a failure with the awning open requires immediate attention and resources to close the awning for travel.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Things to consider:
1) If you are gone - do you need the awning out?
2) If it raining too heavy for the awning - are you outside?
3) Overnight - if you are in bed do you need your awning out?
4) A lot of wind - even manual awnings are generally in.
I have a power awning now, I like it. I have never had any issues. I use a simple rule of thumb: If I need to be under it - it is out. Otherwise - retract it......
X2... I agree. Takes no time and much less hassle to roll it in and out. I tilt mine but if it is raining hard enough "I" don't want to be outside I can roll it up from the door. I love it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I wasn't too sure about our power awning when we bought our Sunset Trail Reserve, but after several months of use and sitting in it under some torrential downpours last week, I think I'll keep it! Really, the only thing that bothers me is how it "chatters" when pulling it back in. By the way, the auto dump feature works very well, but with the rain we experienced last week, it was just one big continuous dump. Kind of looked like a huge open-ended gutter.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

If you use the same spray lube for the slid outs on the awning tracks, it resolves the jerky movement

2014 ST32RL
2012 F250 XLT 6.2L
EQUAL-I-ZER HITCH
zrxkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Rain- no problem unless it's accompanied by gusty wind
Heavy wind- roll it in
Gone for a few hours- depends on weather forecast
Tilt one side down- yes, you can do that depending on your awning model (and roll it up that way also)
Anti flap device- can't reach awning to install without ladder, plus if a storm comes up quickly, must remove quickly before you roll up awning.
That reminds me I left mine out while we went out on the lake, storm came in, when I got back my awning was hanging [emoji20]

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Southaven Ms.
gsbuick65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #15
New Camper

power awning issues

We always take ours in during wind and rain to be safe. I am nervous about the eccentric motion of the motor when bringing it in. I dont know how long the shaft or bearings will last, but we're in our 3rd season. So far so good. Only problems we've had is a lot of the LED's in the strip in the tube failed pretty quickly, and when we got home from Florida this spring, I put the awning out and the tube fell to the ground. Both screws had fallen out of one end on the trip. Glad it didn't fall during the trip. I recommend adding lock washers and thread locking type Loctite on the screws, because there isn't any.
Robert Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

When we got our trailer new back in 2013, the awning had a terrible wobble when rolling out and back in. After several trips to Lazy Days, a technician finally figured out that it needed to have 3 screws on each end going into the tube. It only had 2 from the factory, so it was like a 2 legged stool, it really couldn't stand up! With the 3 screws, the wobble is gone.

Also - if you adjust the settings to have one side a little higher than the other, the rain runs off without causing an issue. For high winds, you need to put it away to be on the safe side.

From tent camping to 2013 - Sunset Trail Reserve 32 Bunk House
Crobyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

At some point we'll get rain when I can stand under it and see how it does. So far we've only gotten rain at night, and I'd put it away before bed.
2015 ST270BH
Old 09-05-2015, 03:21 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Used ours in the rain works great but we pull it in when the wind comes. I was camping in Pine Creek at the Petticoat Junction camp ground in PA and it was a nice night. the guy next to us opened his up and they went to supper. with in a half hour a wicked fast mover came in pulled our tents up and canopies we had to hold them down. We watched that guys awning flip up and over his camper. Lets just say he wasn't a happy camper when he got back. From that point I make sure mine is in.

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

The only issue I had was the wires to the motor got pinched and shorted out. Other than that it works great. I agree with everyone if I'm not under it its in. I've seen too many awnings fly off in a mid afternoon Florida thunderstorm. I personally love it. You can't be the convenience of bringing it in and out with the touch of a button.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I agree with everyone if I'm not under it its in. I've seen too many awnings fly off in a mid afternoon Florida thunderstorm. I personally love it. You can't be the convenience of bringing it in and out with the touch of a button.
Me too! My Dad parked his in our yard once and left the awning out while we went to a restaurant to eat. Thunderstorm rolled in while we were there. Awning and tube was toast when we got home. Seen several others over the years that failed. Mine will come in when gone. It is only a push of a button.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote