Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi, I need some of your guidance ... replacing my power cord plug due to some arcing damage on 1 pin. I exposed the wires and got ready to connect new plug but noticed some "green" powdery residue"on a fewstrands of the copper wire on the black plug.

What is this from? Is it damaged? is it normal, acceptable?

Thanks,
Rich
Texas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Rich, I am not seeing your picture.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

yeah didn't go through will email you directly as you probably know the answer ...
Old 06-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

try this link
WWW.texaspeters4.com/Rich/IMG_2449.JPG

Old 06-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
Site Team

My guess would be --- you got moisture in there.Some of those molded (water proof) ends aren't always what they cracked up to be.

Try cutting it off back further and see what it looks like.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Normally, a green residue on copper is just corrosion. I see it a lot on copper pipe fittings when they are not wiped off after soldering with flux. When the ends of wiring are "tinned" they use flux to aid the tinning process.Clean the wire ends with a small wire brush and you will be fine (or you can strip off a bit of the insulation, cut the wires and start fresh).
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I agree with Lloyd after seeing the picture you sent me. Your molded plug either let some moisture in and or it had a poor connection in it. Just cut it back a few inches and install the new plug. That is what I had to do to ours when I installed a new yellow plug with a built in handle on it.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Hi Lloyd! I did cut about 6" back when I 1st saw it, but maybe go further and see...Hunter mentioned he had this also and cleaned wires. I was concerned whether I needed to replace entire cord due to damage but doesn't look to be needed. thx! Heading to Colorado and taking care of some needed repairs.

rich
Old 06-09-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thx for everyone's input ... helps me from losing a day waiting to call a shop...and most likely get wrong info. Wwill put it together, and then tackle some caulking and then the max - air cover.

BTW I used 303 on the front cap and it is a new RV (except decal in front, which was too far gone)! ok to use 303 on all sides, window frames?

Washed the roof yesterday, replaced all air vent covers.

Lists go on ....

Rich
Old 06-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #10
Site Team

Maybe you should trade more often??????????????
That way you're not suppose to have all that danged old maintenance.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

You can use 303 and just about anything. People might think I am crazy (a lot already do) but I always wipe our unit down with Pledge furniture polish after each trip. I learned that years ago when my dad raced boats. Every time he would pull one out after a run he had me and my sister wiping it down with Pledge. I have used it on our fiberglass boats for years. It does not have any UV value but that is what the wax is for. It is a cheap way to keep a fiberglass trailer or boat nice and shiny.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
Site Team

I use to do the same thing----until I started running down dirt roads. End of pledge for me.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Old 06-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Yeah way off topic ... but what the hay ... I REALLY appreciate the help. Plug is back together and will get connected tonight at the storage.

As far as trading more often ... I need this to keep some sanityto "escape"... besides Lloyd, I bet you are light years ahead of us with regards to mods ...always enjoy reading about your updates and solutions to problems!

Got side tracked ... Tricia came back from store with a bunch of father's day goodies for the RV :-)...

Will post updates from our trip as I can ...

rich
Old 06-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

In my former life I delt with stranded copper wire all the time. After the Government mandated getting rid of all the "bad" chemicals used for cleaning during manufacture, they had to go to a water based cleaner. This happened sometime back in the '80s.

Since then it is common to see the greenish corrosion (copper sulfate) on the stranding. It will actually travel completely through a 20 ft long piece of cable after a couple of years.

Just clean it well (Coke works great, just flush it out well when clean), apply some electrical joint compound to keep moisture out of the connection, and button it up.

You can get the joint compound at any electrical supply store or ask an electrician for a thimble full.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=Hunter11]You can use 303 and just about anything. People might think I am crazy (a lot already do) but I always wipe our unit down with Pledge furniture polish after each trip. I learned that years ago when my dad raced boats. Every time he would pull one out after a run he had me and my sister wiping it down with Pledge. I have used it on our fiberglass boats for years. It does not have any UV value but that is what the wax is for. It is a cheap way to keep a fiberglass trailer or boat nice and shiny.[/QUOTE

So right no UV value. That is what the wax is for. Pledge shines with silicone oil and contains no wax. It also can hide minor scratches on plastic based eyeglasses. My eye Doctor gave me that tip.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Pledge has been used on number of racing boats!

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

I would cut back the conductors a little and the green may disappear, but unless the copper looks a dark brown [from the hot connection] I would not be too concerned. The green is usually a reaction of the copper and moisture which can be exasperated by the heat.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

I have years of experience with green residue on electrical cables. A sure sign of moisture, especially in coaxial cable. If it's too bad, it will come back no matter what you do. It just creeps along the wire and goes deep into the cable under the insulation. Using conductive lube that electricians use is a good suggestion. I would do what others suggested and then check it again in a few months. If it's about the same, leave it. If it got worse; bite the bullet!
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas4

Yeah way off topic ... but what the hay ... I REALLY appreciate the help. Plug is back together and will get connected tonight at the storage.

As far as trading more often ... I need this to keep some sanityto "escape"... besides Lloyd, I bet you are light years ahead of us with regards to mods ...always enjoy reading about your updates and solutions to problems!

Got side tracked ... Tricia came back from store with a bunch of father's day goodies for the RV :-)...

Will post updates from our trip as I can ...

rich
Hey rich, how did your trip go?? Where are the updates?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to denlor
try a strong mixture of baking soda and water and put plug in and then dry it very well. make sure it is dry before using it again. blow out with air if possible.