Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

power issue

For some reason the GFI plugs in the trailer keep tripping when I try to vacuum in there. The unit is plugged into a 15 amp outlet on the house. Only the lights are on and the power to the plug keeps going out. The power to the unit is still on because the microwave is showing 0s.

The one in the bathroom did the same thing so I plugged the vacuum directly into to house power.

My husband says the vacuum is drawing too much power. We have had this trailer for 18 months and this is not the first time I have vacuumed it. What causes these things to trip in the first place?

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you replaced the GFI receptacles, or are they the originals?
Those are not the best GFI's.
You might also check the junction box outside, probably under the slide, attached to the frame. They are notorious for getting moisture in.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

They are the originals. It is a very damp day, could that be causing the problem? As a matter of fact, it has been damp for several days.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Moisture is what sets mine off out here in the garage.
Did you travel when it was raining? That is usually when the problems start. If you open the junction box and look, you will know if you have any loose connections, plus, you will know if moisture is getting there. Just make sure to seal them up good when you close it back up. Silicone.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Yes, we did travel in the rain, but not the last day of our trip. Where would I find this junction box?

Old 10-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Site Team

See my 1st post.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

My gfci in the bathroom is connected to the outside plugs and the kitchen plug and will kick off when hotplate is pluged in outside. Plugged it into one in the bedroom and everything ok. Had to run a decent extention cord to finish up.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
See my 1st post.
Right! When things dry up, I will do that! Thanks!

Old 10-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
They are the originals. It is a very damp day, could that be causing the problem? As a matter of fact, it has been damp for several days.
Absolutely, I had similar issue two weeks ago. It was warm and very humid and the GFI would trip for no reason. Very frustrated since it kept shutting off the satellite receiver which required a several min. recovery. Next week, it was dryer and no problems with the same items powered up.

Two things to keep in mind, RVs have more outlets on a single GFI than a S&B house, so more potential problem locations. Second, the power cable to the slide outs is exposed to road and outside moisture more than the other wiring and usually there is a junction box mounted on the frame, all of this is more susceptible to moisture and therefore GFI problems.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Thanks, guys! It sounds like moisture is probably the culprit. We are expecting dryer weather soon.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Have you tried plugging into a higher amp outlet. If you are low on power that can also cause breakers to pop.
grandpadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

GFI plugs are especially designed to trip in wet, moist, humid, environments. This is why they are placed in bathrooms and kitchens. They hopefully keep you from getting shocked. They do come in different levels of quality however. Check for moisture. If you have moisture then they did their job.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:16 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

We have a higher outlet, a 30 amp, but that would involve hauling out the extension cord as the outlet is located at the rear of the house, where the hot tub used to be. I just plugged into, side of the house. It was raining, I was tired and cranky and just wanted to get this job done - vacuum part of the carpet and clean it with the carpet cleaner.

Moisture sounds like the most likely culprit. I have older fluorescent lighting in the basement and I've been having problems getting the lights to come on. This morning it is dryer and the lights came right on. Obviously moisture is an issue for them as well!

Old 10-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

It would be worth it to have someone run that 30 amp to the front of the house.
grandpadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

I think that would cost quite a bit. With our 30 amp extension cord, we can reach it just fine. I was just too frustrated yesterday - I needed a quick fix (plug the vacuum into the house) and I needed to know the cause. Now that the air is dryer, the plugs in the trailer are working fine.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
Site Team

[QUOTE=Loneoak;87619 I just plugged into, side of the house. It was raining, I was tired and cranky and just wanted to get this job done - vacuum part of the carpet and clean it with the carpet cleaner.

Moisture sounds like the most likely culprit. I have older fluorescent lighting in the basement and I've been having problems getting the lights to come on. This morning it is dryer and the lights came right on. Obviously moisture is an issue for them as well![/QUOTE]

I just caught this.
It sounds like the issue is probably in your house, not the RV.
Like stated by a previous poster, it might be good to get it checked out.
True, it might be costly, but so would trying to replace all your possessions.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

I was replying to the part about moving the 30 amp outlet to the front of the house. Not worth the cost to us. We have a 30 amp extension cord so we can plug the trailer into this outlet if we need to, or if we people staying with us then they can plug into it. The rest of the time we use the pigtail and plug the trailer into a 15 amp outlet.

Last year we went camping early in the year and it was raining when we got there and during set up. All the electrical stuff on one side was not working and the problem was the GFI. Once we pushed the button, everything was working fine.

What happened this time was when I pushed the button, it went off again. Obviously caused by all the moisture in the air. Things are working well today, because it is dryer.

As for the house, we do not have any electrical problems. I hope this clarifies things. I don't want people to think we have a poor electrical system in the house which is threatening to cause a fire.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #18
Site Team

This is what I was referring to. You stated you were plugged into the house when the problems occurred.
Anybody has the potential of having an electrical issue. I wasn't trying to make you feel bad, just pointing out what I gathered from previous post.

I just plugged into, side of the house. It was raining, I was tired and cranky and just wanted to get this job done - vacuum part of the carpet and clean it with the carpet cleaner.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Did you try plugging the vac into a plug that is not on the same series as the gfci? try one that is in the bedroom ..

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

I plugged it into another outlet, the one in the bathroom and it did the same thing. When I plugged it directly into the house, it worked. So the problem was in the RV.

Sometimes things don't come across the way you want them to.