Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 06:47 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Power Panel Question

Now into my second week in the Rushmore Lincoln. the orange looking block marked "water heater." Is that supposed to light up if the electric or gas to it is on? If so, it doesn't.

Anyone come up with a nifty way to light the panel when opening the door? I was thinking a thin-profile LED mounted to the frame above. Bonus points if it has a side-mounted switch that would turn the light on when the door was opened!
20160719_060522.jpg
Old 07-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Team

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ight-2309.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Lloyd! That answered half of it. Several ideas there, gives me a starting point. Now, anyone know if that orange thingie is actually a light?
Old 07-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
Site Team

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ons-11691.html

If you do a search on the subject, you will come up with numerous threads.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Here is what we did to light up our panel. I used an led strip light and a plunger style door switch. I tied the power into the switch for our step lights so that way the lights are not coming on every time we open the door. We just wanted them on at night.

As for the light on the panel, it should only come on if there is a problem with the water heater when it's on gas (gas is flowing but burner doesn't ignite). At least that is the way ours works.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Lloyd, I do use the search quite a bit, and have already learned much from this site. I'm trying to pay on that by posting my repairs. I wasn't real sure how "orange light thingie" would be handled by the search engine! That sounds better than mentioned I was so tired by that time I simply couldn't think straight.

So not broken. Light on, is broken. The switch for hot water in my previous Cougar came on when switched on, was just thinking it would be the same. Assumptions are very dangerous things! That red light glowing as I left for work every morning was my reminder to turn it off on the way out. I really didn't see why I should heat water for ten hours while I was gone. I'll come up with something. And you folks have some really neat lighting ideas!
Old 07-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
Here is what we did to light up our panel. I used an led strip light and a plunger style door switch. I tied the power into the switch for our step lights so that way the lights are not coming on every time we open the door. We just wanted them on at night.

As for the light on the panel, it should only come on if there is a problem with the water heater when it's on gas (gas is flowing but burner doesn't ignite). At least that is the way ours works.

Am I the only one who wants to kick someone at Crossroads in the shins for using such small printing on that carbon fiber board? It’s so hard to read.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Aim higher
joep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joep View Post
Aim higher
Old 07-20-2016, 05:46 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I just cut a 1/8 strip of white Gorilla Tape and put it over the interior light switches. I can see it in the dark to flip the correct ones. Florescent tape would be even better. Not elegant but cheap and quick.

If they were going to rig the lights that way, why not at least put them a eye level by the door?
Old 07-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
Am I the only one who wants to kick someone at Crossroads in the shins for using such small printing on that carbon fiber board? It’s so hard to read.
Crossroads doesn't make the panels, they get them from a company called KIB. I have a friend that is a sales rep for KIB and have complained about some of the things on their panels but don't think it did much good. I don't have as much of a problem of reading the panel as I do trying to press those little tiny buttons for the tank levels! Plus those things never work right anyway. Next summer I am considering installing the SeeLevel monitor and replacing those stupid push buttons!

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
Crossroads doesn't make the panels, they get them from a company called KIB. I have a friend that is a sales rep for KIB and have complained about some of the things on their panels but don't think it did much good. I don't have as much of a problem of reading the panel as I do trying to press those little tiny buttons for the tank levels! Plus those things never work right anyway. Next summer I am considering installing the SeeLevel monitor and replacing those stupid push buttons!
Good info. Maybe you could kick your buddy in the...uh...shins for us then. The design of those panels is pathetic.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote