Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I am being "forced" to plug into a buddies outside receptacle (on his RV) for about a week or so. I am currently plugged into a house outlet (15 or 20 amps) and can get by decent enough. I have learned that I can run everything I need on electricity except the following combinations:

water heater and microwave

water heater and elect space heater

microwave and space heater

I haven't messed with the A/C yet, but don't forsee the need for it anytime soon.

My question is, should I see much of a difference plugged into another RV vice plugging into the house?

Thanks,

Jim

(and the kids- Christopher and Jenna)

2008 ST31QB

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty (7.3 Diesel)

https://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...y/DSC_0633.jpg
JimandCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I am no electrician butI would think if you are plugged into his RV and he is plugged into a 30 amp circuit that would be your limit for both trailers. You will be limited to whatever the circuit is you are plugged into on his trailer. So I would think if you are plugged into a 15 amp on his RV you would both be limited to 15 amps each. Someone with more knowledge of electrical will come along and straighten me out.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Hunter11 I believe you hit the nail on the head.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

The 30 Amp supply to your buddy's trailer is a finite resource shared between both trailers but not equally. If he is using 20 amps, you can only use 10 amps before the main 30 amp breaker trips. If he is using 5 amps, you won't be able to use 25 amps because the outside outlet on his trailer is protected by a 15 amp breaker andif you tryto draw more than 15 amps it will trip his breaker. He may be able to run his air conditioner but you will not be able to run yours because of the 15 amp limit on his outside outlet.
billyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

If his outside receptical is on a 15 amp breaker in his rv that is what you will be limited to. I think they are all 15 amps except the a/c and it should be on a 20 amp. Also his outside receptical is probably not the onlyrecepticalon that circuit so if he has anything plugged in to that circuit you will be limited even more. You might wantto find out what else he has on that breaker so he will know.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimandCindy
I am being "forced" to plug into a buddies outside receptacle (on his RV) for about a week or so. I am currently plugged into a house outlet (15 or 20 amps) and can get by decent enough. I have learned that I can run everything I need on electricity except the following combinations:

water heater and microwave

water heater and elect space heater

microwave and space heater

I haven't messed with the A/C yet, but don't forsee the need for it anytime soon.

My question is, should I see much of a difference plugged into another RV vice plugging into the house?

Thanks,

Jim

The short answer is NO, and that is because the receptacle that you are connected to on your buddies RV will likely have the same size breaker (15A) that he'll have in his home.

Your power consumption current can not exceed 15 amps as long as you connected to the other trailer. That is why you can't use some of your appliances. You appliances have the following current requirements: Water heater--->10 to 11 amps, Mircrowave--->8 to 10 amps and the space heater--->10 to 12 amps. The one load that everyone forgets is the converter and it draws anywhere 5 to 8 amps. So you can see why you'vebeen unable towork the combinations of appliances that you listed. If you need hot water, put the water heater on gas. If you need heat to warm up the trailer, use your gas furnace to raise the space temperature quickly and the electric space heater to maintain the temperature. With only 15 amps of power available, it's a matter of time sharing and substitution. Also remember, if your buddy is using his trailer at the same time then you may not have 15 amps available to you.

By the way, don't consider using the A/C because it's a sure bet that you'll trip the 15 amp breaker in your buddies trailer.Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:41 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks to everyone who replied. The true test will be when I hook up later today.....

Jim

(and the kids- Christopher and Jenna)

2008 ST31QB

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty (7.3 Diesel)

https://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...y/DSC_0633.jpg
JimandCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

We did this once when we dry camped forbird hunting over Thanksgiving weekend. Our friend had a diesel pusher with what I recall a 5000 watt generator. We plugged into his out side recepticle but had limited power. Kept the water heater and fridge on propane and didn't run the micro or the wife's hair dryer. We were able to watch tv and run the furnace blower, etc okay. Just watch how much load you put on the outlet and it should be okay.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote