Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
New Camper

Propane detector beeping

Went camping in my 2020 253RB over the weekend and my propane detector kept going off. Tanks were off. Didnt do anything different then we normally do. Got it home, plugged it in and still going off. Getting 4 beeps and a red light then it goes back to green for a bit. Bought camper in June. Do you think this detector is bad?
Maldoro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Check your coach batteries along with all the cables to be sure none are loose.
Be sure the factory battery disconnect is in the "on/connected" position otherwise your batteries will not charge when connected to shore power.
Check water levels in battery cells & top off with distilled water if needed.
Your CO/LP detector is wired directly to the coach batteries & usually that beeping is due to low voltage.
Or it could be a faulty detector.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:58 AM   #3
New Camper

My fridge is a 12v fridge and working perfectly so doubt my battery is bad.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Those propane detectors only last about 4-5 years at the best of times, I don't think your is that old but check the date on the back when it was manufactured. Probably Chinese junk also so pretty good chance it's junk also and decided to calf just after warranty and before it's time. Mine calfed at 4 years according to it's date, so I removed the fuse that'll be in the wall after you remove the detector from the wall, mine had 6 feet of wire but the fuse was there.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldoro1 View Post
My fridge is a 12v fridge and working perfectly so doubt my battery is bad.
Your fridge in a 30'+ rv only operates on 12 volt?
I know they on a come back but typically they were found in smaller entry level RVs.
If you are connected to shore power everything 12 volt will run through the converter so you will have power to the fridge, but as I said earlier your detector is wired directly to the battery not through the converter.
Disconnect from shore power to see if you then have 12 volts to everything, if not check the battery.
If by chance your dealer was a cheap skate & installed a marine type battery that list CCA, cold cranking amps, on the top of the battery, this is not suitable for rv use but rather a boat to start the engine or use a trolling motor. It should be a deep cycle battery with only AH listed on top.
For safety reasons I wouldn't recommend removing the fuse to silence it!
Old 10-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Hi,
We had the same thing happen to us in our 2013 Cruiser 5th Wheel. We were on the road and called to find out why if the tanks were turned off that the sensor kept going off. They freaked out and said prior to them replacing it (sensor under warranty) that we needed to have someone come out and check for a propane leak. So we did. No leak. Bad sensor! Replaced and the annoying beep stopped. Had to pay for the road call, but I guess better safe then sorry.

Milwaukie, Or

2013 CF335SS Patriot

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Turbo Diesel
TTKITTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Happened to me - disconnected the battery then reconnected it . Think it was caused the heat.
Winterpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

A couple things that don't seem possible, but are fact about those detectors;
If your dog lies near it & breaks wind that will set off the alarm!
Some aerosol sprays such as hair spray or air fresheners will set it off, even if not sprayed near by!
Old 10-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #9
New Camper

You are right. It happened to us many times. Hair spray makes the propane detector beep.
dostiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #10
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterpegger View Post
Happened to me - disconnected the battery then reconnected it . Think it was caused the heat.
I will give it a shot. Still going off randomly. i can hear it when i'm working in the yard.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTKITTLE View Post
Hi,
We had the same thing happen to us in our 2013 Cruiser 5th Wheel. We were on the road and called to find out why if the tanks were turned off that the sensor kept going off. They freaked out and said prior to them replacing it (sensor under warranty) that we needed to have someone come out and check for a propane leak. So we did. No leak. Bad sensor! Replaced and the annoying beep stopped. Had to pay for the road call, but I guess better safe then sorry.
I am probably going to schedule a service call. I'm about 30 mins form my dealer, there are a couple of other minor things they could fix as well.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #12
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Your fridge in a 30'+ rv only operates on 12 volt?
I know they on a come back but typically they were found in smaller entry level RVs.
If you are connected to shore power everything 12 volt will run through the converter so you will have power to the fridge, but as I said earlier your detector is wired directly to the battery not through the converter.
Disconnect from shore power to see if you then have 12 volts to everything, if not check the battery.
If by chance your dealer was a cheap skate & installed a marine type battery that list CCA, cold cranking amps, on the top of the battery, this is not suitable for rv use but rather a boat to start the engine or use a trolling motor. It should be a deep cycle battery with only AH listed on top.
For safety reasons I wouldn't recommend removing the fuse to silence it!
I was surprised to learn this as well. This fridge is the largest I ever had in a RV but yes only 12v. No propane and no electric. I did check the battery and it is a Interstate with dual purpose. I was planning on buying another battery. I can buy two for the RV and move this one to my Boat.

BTW I did have 12v to everything that should, lights work, ignition for my water heater works, slide, etc...
Old 10-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #13
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
A couple things that don't seem possible, but are fact about those detectors;
If your dog lies near it & breaks wind that will set off the alarm!
Some aerosol sprays such as hair spray or air fresheners will set it off, even if not sprayed near by!
I originally thought it was a the jackass burning treated wood next to me but he was only there for one night. I never smelled anything inside of the camper and it did not go off until we were packing up two days later.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:59 PM   #14
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldoro1 View Post
I was surprised to learn this as well. This fridge is the largest I ever had in a RV but yes only 12v. No propane and no electric. I did check the battery and it is a Interstate with dual purpose. I was planning on buying another battery. I can buy two for the RV and move this one to my Boat.

BTW I did have 12v to everything that should, lights work, ignition for my water heater works, slide, etc...
Still sounds like a battery issue especially since you have the dual purpose battery. Be sure the replacement batteries are true deep cycle not dual purpose & have that battery load tested at an auto parts store BEFORE installing it in your boat, it may be toast & strand out in the water somewhere.