Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Crossroads 21FD - I turned on the propane water heater this weekend to exercise the systems on board as I do every trip and noticed a problem right away. The igniter clicks to light the propane, the flame starts, then about 4 seconds later the igniter starts again while the flame is still burning then about 1 second later the flame goes out and the process repeats itself, then the fault light shows up on the info panel inside. I double-checked the propane supply and even switched over to a full tank and the problem repeated again. My guess is that the system is not sensing the flame, so it tries to ignite it again, then closes the gas valve thus putting out the flame. Anyone have any thoughts on the cause of this issue?

gregoja11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

You can try using fine sandpaper on the electrode that looks like a small cylinder that is in the way of the flame, I call it a flame sensor. Sometimes they get some soot on them or corrosion on them and they dont sense the flame. Try using some 220 or finer sandpaper on it. I use 400 on mine when this happens to any of the flame sensors in the house too.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I don't second guess or take any chances with a propane appliance, if it doesn't work properly take it to an authorized repair facility and have it fixed or replaced. Whatever the cost, it's a small price for safety and peace of mind.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit5561
You can try using fine sandpaper on the electrode that looks like a small cylinder that is in the way of the flame, I call it a flame sensor. Sometimes they get some soot on them or corrosion on them and they dont sense the flame. Try using some 220 or finer sandpaper on it. I use 400 on mine when this happens to any of the flame sensors in the house too.

Most reputable RV "experts" will recommend this very procedure. If the propane is turned off at the tank before you start there should be no problems. Quick and easy and will save you a trip to the shop.

One of the best things about RV ownership is the ability to always find something to fix, change, modify or otherwise just tinker with.

Do not be afraid to sand the sucker and see if it helps. You can always go to the shop.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote