Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Purchasing new Cruiser and wondering if it is a good idea to do the final walk thru and make sure everything works before paying them or just check the things they were suppose to fix, pay and then do the walk thru where they show you how everything works. Just wondering what others have done.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Do a complete walk thru as you would do if you bought a house. Personally, I would do a walk thru before even signing the papers, this way you control the findings / outcome.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Check that thing over top to bottom and inside and out. Make sure every mechanical system works and they show you how to work everything you have questions about. Do an internet search on "PDI List" and you will get several you can work from.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I have made up a list for everything to check, question is, if something is not right should I purchase and let them fix it or can the whole deal. They are suppose to be fixing a few things now and doing there PDI. So when I check it over everthing should work as advertised. Got to drive 300 miles to get it and did let them know I expected everything to work. Just dont want to be told, oh we can fix that tomorrow and then have to go stay in a hotel somewhere, I sure dont want to have to be driving back and forth.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I am sure the roof will be part of the inspection ... I was a newbie and did not inspect the roof and that was the first thing it went back for. They might want to hurry you though the PDI but ask ask and look at everything. It will be one last thing you will have to get fixed later
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Do not rush, make them fix the things you have found wrong. If you have all ready found some items check them carefully, and make them demo those features. Do check the roof, there have been cases where the transport guy has punch a hole in it from branches or other items.. have your own PDI list with you, and check against the one they should have. Record all of the demos on how things work.

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Do not give them a check or sign papers until you have completed the walk thru to your satisfaction. I have made that mistake and the dealer tried to rush us out the door without giving us time to check everything or make them fix the few little things we saw. They said, just make a list and come back to get it fixed. We did and they fixed it, but that is an hour and a half trip each way we could have avoided.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

One thing that we missed in our big day, was the awning, it was too high and we asked how do you reach the awning and the guy said" Oh this metal stick. and he took it out to show us and he could not reach it so he had to go and add another on to it, so now our one is two taped together. Our rig should have had the automatic awning,and it cost too much to change it now, and so up the ladder we climb everytime,( and each time it seems to be getting higher )
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

D0 not sign the documents or hand over the check until anything found is corrected. Make the dealer make it right.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

On our 1st trailer the dealer insisited that we process the paperwork 1st so they can begin the PDI and cleaning along with some BS that units aren't PDI'd until ownership transfers, along with don't worry you have a warranty. I didn't make that mistake on this unit.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

All good information here. See if there is a campground nearby for a shakedown cruise so you are not so far from home to bring back if some issues do occur...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

We do plan on staying at a near by campground, hope everything works. Plan on going to Ohio from there then to Oklahoma then back to Florida. Really will be a shake down cruise. I plan on getting to the dealer early and go over everything. Already got my checklist and some good ideas from this forum.