Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi all,

Been looking at the cruiser ctx 26rk travel trailer, then i came across a floorplan with a front living room in a different brand that i really like. So the question is do you pick quality construction (16" on center studs, hung wall) with a floorplan that is ok, or do you pick the tt with the floorplan that works better for you, but the construction is laminated walls?
pootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Although I would pick quality over floorplan myself, I would also wait for a year or two (if I had the time) to see if Crossroads is coming out with that floorplan. You could also call Crossroads directly, refer them to a website with the floor plan and see if they have it on the drawing board already.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
I would think that adjusting to an OK floorplan would be much easier than dealing with lesser quality construction.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Go for the quality and after sale support everytime!
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:37 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

We are in the process of looking for a new trailer and have looked at several floor plans and brands. Yes quailty goes a long way but ask yourself how happy you will be a year or two from now with a floor plan you just "settled" on. One of the brands and models we have looked at is the Carriage Cameo, they are a quailty unit but we have taken them off our list for the simple fact all the floor plans we looked at were okay for our needs but we did not really like them enough to want to spend the next 5 to 7 years in them. I would continue to look until you find somethig that is quailty built that has the floor plan you really want. You can always come back to the one you are looking at if you don't find what you really want. Just my $.02 cents for what it is worth.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:48 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

First, It really depends on what you are considering quality. I don't automatically consider laminated walls as lower quality and I wouldn't automatically consider less expensive features as lower quality. Even poor workmanship may be a negative and should raise concern, but it doesn't automatically mean lesser reliability. The number one purpose of an RV is to be used, not admired, so cost is #1 (if you can't afford it, you can't use it), reliability is #2 and customer support is #3, (so that you don't miss any camping days), Floorplan is #4 and features/quality #5 (makes the camping experience better or worse). Finally, only you can judge the value of the 'perfect' floorplan. What is your camping experience so far? Are your needs likely to change soon? How different are the two floorplans you are considering? Virtually every floorplan has it's good points and bad points. Make a list of good and bad points from your perspective for each floorplan, maybe that will help.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

The cruiser is a rear kitchen model with front bedroom. Brand X is a front living room model with rear bedroom with a slide. I have been looking for something with 1 or 2 chairs and a decent sized bathroom (prefer side bath). Kids are teens, sometimes they camp sometimes they dont; sometimes they sleep in tents, sometimes they dont. I am hoping to keep my tt for closer to 10 yrs., so i dont want a bunk model. I figure they can sleep on table and couch if need be. Like the 29rl from the ctx lineup, but dont want a 34' tt.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
...quailty goes a long way but ask yourself how happy you will be a year or two from now with a floor plan you just "settled" on.

My wife and I try to shoot for the "wow" factor, which happens when you step into a unit and immediately say, "I really like this." Any reaction less than that automatically disqualifies it fpr consideration.

Our new Cruiser happened to be a "wow", plus Crossroads is quality. Happy hunting for which manufacturer works for you!
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:56 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootsie
The cruiser is a rear kitchen model with front bedroom. Brand X is a front living room model with rear bedroom with a slide. I have been looking for something with 1 or 2 chairs and a decent sized bathroom (prefer side bath). Kids are teens, sometimes they camp sometimes they dont; sometimes they sleep in tents, sometimes they dont. I am hoping to keep my tt for closer to 10 yrs., so i dont want a bunk model. I figure they can sleep on table and couch if need be. Like the 29rl from the ctx lineup, but dont want a 34' tt.

If you're going to keep it for 10 years you need to get the floor plan and size you want. We looked for 5 yrs + and couldn't find a front living room model we liked until our Sunset Trail. One of our requirements was a full sized queen which eliminated all previous models. Like you we tend to keep our unit for a very long time Important to be happy with it.

If Brand X (okay to name them here, BTW) has the floor plan but you're not comfortable about the quality, then hold out until you find what you want. In the long run you will be happier. I still haven't seen another unit that I like as well as ours. THAT is what you're looking for.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
As a QA by profession the wow factor needs to be there but takes a back seat to quality everyday. I'm anal and good at my job, no way am I going to plunk down 35K for a slapped together rolling trash can. If they can't finish a unit in an acceptable level of quality what do you think they did in places you CAN'T see.

I consider Crossroads to be good quality and attractive in terms of colors at it's price range. Other's have floorplans that I like and consider "good" companies with a 2 year warranty like KZ, Jayco, Open Range and on the higher end Carriage.

Just my humble opinion but I haven't met a Keystone product I'd buy - a one year warranty, mixed reviews on customer service and I've seen them built - nuff' said for me.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We looked for over a year and almost settled twice butbacked out at the last minute.....then one day we saw a Cruiser and were hooked, research showed the warranty and constructionto beimpressive...then we saw the perfect floorplan including everything she wanted...so just keep looking, both are important...When shes happy, Im happy...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

"My wife and I try to shoot for the "wow" factor, which happens when you step into a unit and immediately say, "I really like this." Any reaction less than that automatically disqualifies it fpr consideration."

lynlou14760,

We do use that for some of how we feel about a floor plan but we have a list of thingsof must have items in our next trailer andthe units welookat must have those items or have them available as options or we move on and don't waste time. I research units by how the manufacture handles issues and past issues with those units more than the amount of warranty they have. We are currently looking at 5 different units that have warranties from 1 year to 5 years. Are we comfortable buying one with a one year warranty, you bet.

Pootsie,

Larry gave you some good advise on selecting your next unit. Make a list of the pros and cons of the units and floor plans you like then do your research on the ones at the top and go from there.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I have never seen any floor plan that wasn't a compromise in some way. You can get used to those. . . . . .

BUT I have seen quality issues that you could never get used to.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

For Nan and I it was love at first site( she loved it and I was looking at it). But really when she loved it I worked with it and now love it! (She has got to stop saying what if we...) Can you afford it and will it last? Those are the questions I think matter, You can always modify it to your tastes. Edited by: Chrisnan23

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Since it deemed proper to list brand X, i am also looking at the open range roamer RT281FLR. Not a whole lot of info on their site as far as construction. Maybe crossroads will see this and build one like it, now that would be way cool!!!