Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Question for long distance travelers

Does anyone that goes on long haul trips take along a spare tire, and required equipt. to change flats with them, or do most just use a roadside service provider?
Part 2... if you answer yes to the latter, are there outfits (such as AAA) that will provide the service, or would you just search for one whereever you may be at the time?
Rrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I always carry the spare, floor jack for trailer only, and 1/2 inch strong-arm with correct socket that also always stays in the trailer. That would be the day I stand around and wait for a service to change a tire when I want to be out camping, sitting around a fire, not looking at a flat. It takes about 10 minutes to change the tire and its far from hard work...
Old 10-12-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

IMHO a spare should be required and a good one not one that's old and decrepit. Also in place of a jack you might think about something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Aid...53.m1438.l2649
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
phat rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat rat View Post
IMHO a spare should be required and a good one not one that's old and decrepit. Also in place of a jack you might think about something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Aid...53.m1438.l2649
thats pretty slick. I actually thought of doing that with my lynx levelers.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
Site Team

I carry tire and all the necessary tools. But will call service anyway.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
Site Team

[QUOTE=Rrizz;134933]Does anyone that goes on long haul trips take along a spare tire, and required equipt. to change flats with them, or do most just use a roadside service provider?
Part 2... if you answer yes to the latter, are there outfits (such as AAA) that will provide the service, or would you just search for one whereever you may be at the time?[/QUOTE

Before signing up with AAA call them and ask what parts of the country they cover. Then ask them what parts of the country they don't have any service in.

I was considering signing up with them, but they had lots of area where there wasn't any service.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Ive been a AAA member for many years, but went on the website this evening to see if they offered it, (it was after hours) The website is ridiculous to navigate on, so I gave up and sent an email. lol
Old 10-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

10 minutes to change a flat tire on a trailer??? You are hired!
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer View Post
10 minutes to change a flat tire on a trailer??? You are hired!
How long does it take you? Then ask how long does it take to grab a Philips to pop off the hub cover, crack the nuts with the strong arm, jack it up with the floor jack, remove and replace and snug the nuts, drop the jack and tighten her up, and throw the junk tire in the back of the truck. If it's taking you longer than ten minutes perhaps your using the wrong tools, or method, and safer and better off using a roadside service!!!
Old 10-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Your RV did not come with a spare? I would not rely on roadside to have a tire for your trailer.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Takes me less than 10 minutes....I tell the wife to get out and change it <wink>.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrizz View Post
Does anyone that goes on long haul trips take along a spare tire, and required equipt. to change flats with them, or do most just use a roadside service provider?
Part 2... if you answer yes to the latter, are there outfits (such as AAA) that will provide the service, or would you just search for one whereever you may be at the time?
I take two spares , a jack and a socket on a break over bar just to be on the safe side.
Gregpriddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesd View Post
Your RV did not come with a spare? I would not rely on roadside to have a tire for your trailer.
Yes, It does have a spare... I meant an additional spare. I could have been more clear with that part.
I did call AAA, and they told me it is a new service in our area, and they didn't have all the details yet, But she did confirm the pricing.. $35 additional per year if you have the plus plan, and the coverage is the same as for your car as far as towing is concerned, ect.... Not a bad deal.
My renewal is in February, so I will get the rest of the details sorted by then.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I carry the spare under the trailer and a spare spare in the bed. Have good sam but wouldnt call them for a tire change which takes 11 minutes. My wife times me. Carry a trailer king wedge, a breakover bar and spanner.
davidfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

We had 5 different RV's and have never suffered a flat. But, we always have a spare with us. As far as changing ourselves or using roadside, we would probably opt for roadside depending on the situation. If a long way out, we would do it ourselves.

AAA, Good Sam's, your own auto insurance carrier. All have roadside. You just have to compare what they cover on each.
sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Took a trip from Louisiana to Alaska, planned on being on the road 3 months. Took 2 spares for the truck, 2 spares for the trailer, a compressor and 2 of the small Honda generators that together can run 1 A/C in the trailer. Oh, and a 20 ton bottle jack. Did not need the extra spares, the 2 Honda generators would not start up the compressor and did not use the 20 ton jack for myself but did use it to help out 3 other folks broke down on the side of the road. It is much better to be prepared to do as much as you can for yourself and changing a tire is as basic as it gets. I like to be prepared to help others and have now bought a Honda 7000 IS generator that is as quiet as they get, guaranteed not to disturb any camping neighbors, and powerful enough to take care of your needs at home, refrigerator, freezer stove, heat, a/c, if power is lost due to a storm, etc. And also give you power if you do one nighters along the road at Wal-Marts.
BillBolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

We found out that we had better road side service through Nationwide our insurance provider than AAA.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #18
New Camper

AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrizz View Post
AAA doesn't change RV's. Get Good Sam's road assistance.
I carry a spare tire & a battery powered impact wrench. And it puts the stands down in seconds
don1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Years ago we went camping in Sequoia National Park with our 5th wheel. On our way home, we drove down Highway 180 towards Fresno, CA. It was a hot summer day in the San Joaquin Valley - say 112 to 115 degrees in August. We blew one tire, stopped and replaced it with our spare. We drove another 50 miles on Highway CA 99 and blew two more tires on our 32' 5er. I called SoCal AAA and they said that due to their volume of calls, it would be 5 to 6 hours before they could get to us to provide assistance. I removed the two tires, disconnected my truck from the trailer and drove to America's tire store in Bakersfield. They replaced all three tires under warranty. All tires were inflated to 80 psi as called for on the side of the tire. However, in extreme heat conditions, good tires still have blowouts.

Lesson learned, don't count on road side services to help you out. Be prepared with your own spare, bottle jack and lug wrench.

D.
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #20
New Camper

I pack everything to change the tire and a 19.2 battery craftsman 1/2" impact gun and battery grinder and cuttoff wheels. Blew a tire on a trailer once the tire tread wrapped around the axel and got stuck between the backing plate and the shock mount, after lots of cussing and sweating a sawzall and bar and vise grips, got the wheel off the trailer and the spare on AAA shows up.
Mgabaf5230 is offline   Reply With Quote