Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are brand new camper owners and our first trip is this weekend, going to Jellystone in TN. I just have a couple of questions that I need help with. First the stabalizing jacks, the instruction manual is about as helpful as a one arm wallpaper hanger. I know that you are not suppose to lift the camper with the jacks, they are only for stabilization, but how do I know when to stop the motor? Do I stop the motor when I see the camper raise up a little bit or when the jacks hit the ground? How much pressure is needed on the jacks? Also both of our slides are on one side would yall recommend raising that side of the camper up a little under the wheels to offset any lean the camper might have with the slides extended? I have it level in my driveway now but when the slides are out it seems like it leans just a hair to that side.

Second, on the black water system, do I need to put a little water in the tank to start or just dump that little bottle of stuff into the tank and let it be? The dealer gave us a start up package with those little bottles of stuff you add for odor control and to help the solids break down. In the crossroads manual it does not say how to do it. I just thought about it and I guess the bottle might tell me but I didn't think about looking at it until just now.

Third, do yall de-winterize your camper at home before you go or at the campground? And how long do yall let fresh water run though your lines to clean them out. I know that the winterization stuff says its not harmfull but that doesn't mean I want my family drinking it. Jellystone of course has full hookups and water so we bought a britta filter thingy so we can drink water from the tap. Oh yeah also, when yall do winterize your campers does anyone use the compressed air method and the antifreeze in the drains?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
Site Team

I take a good strain on my rear jacks.
The black tank, Put 3-5 gals in to start. Eventually you will find out about the Geo method.
I de-winterize before starting the season (at home) It's a fairly long procedure because you should sanitize at that time.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Welcome Chris and congrats on the new camper. I do not have the auto stabalizing jacks but I lower mine until I see the back end of the trailer lift a couple of inches. I'm basicallytaking some of the pressure off of the suspension but I'm nowhere close to lifting the tires.I know some will also lift the front end after the rear jacks have been lowered just to give a little more stability.

The black water system - there have been many debates over what is better. Using the little bottles or what is called the GEO method. You can google Geo method and read about that. I've used both and both work but the key thingthat everyone seems to agree on is WATER and lots of it. Most will say also to let your black tank get as close to full as possible before you empty it. This way you get a good flush when you do pull the handle. Most of the time after I empty the black tank I will add 3 or 4 gallons of water and some sort of liquid soap thru the toilet so it can agitate in the tank on my way home.

As for dewinterizing, I have always used compressed air and antifreeze in the drainsto winterize. I do not want that pink stuff in the water lines. When I put my rig away for the winter it is ready for use the next season. I notice you are in Georgia, just my opinion but I don't see it getting cold enough to need to run antifreeze thru you water lines. If you blow the air out that should be enough to get you thru.

Good Luck and enjoy your new camper!!!
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

As far as the rear jacks, I run the motor til the jacks lift the trailer slightly. Then I push on the side of the trailer, if it still wiggles a little, i run the jacks down a little more til the trailer feels solid when I push on it sideways. Black tank I generally fill the toilet and flush it four times bbefore I add the chemical. When dumping have it fullbefore you dump. I empty the tank, then close the valve and let the backflush fill the tank for about four minutes, then dump it again. I do this twice just to get some extra high flow flushing. Then let flush water run til it looks clean. I also have a clear fitting that I attache to the sewer pipe and then attach sewer hose to that. That way you see when the drain water runs clean and you have a good rinse of the tank. Hope this helps.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

how do you sanitize?
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Here's a link that explains the water lines sanitation process and also water tank storage maintenance.
http://www.rverscorner.com/rvwatersanitizing.html
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Don't know if it matters the type of camper you have, but, I severed the 'shear' pin in the stabalizer motor year or so ago and had to use the manual crank. I think I failed to stop at the close position soon enough and ........
[*]When emptying both the black and gray tanks, dump the black-water tank before the gray-water tank so the "soapy water" from the gray tank can clean the residue from the hose.[*]Don't dump the black-water tank until it is at least two-thirds full. Don't leave the black-water tank valve open when hooked up at a campsite. This will cause liquids to drain, leaving solid waste behind to harden on the bottom of the tank.[*]Use a heavy-duty sewer hose about 6 to 8 feet long to make handling easier.[*]Carry an extra garden hose for rinsing in case the dump station doesn't have one. Store this in an area where it won't come into contact with your drinking water hose.[*]Never use your fresh water hose for rinsing sewer hoses or the dump station area.[*]Wear protective rubber gloves and avoid touching the outside of the gloves.[*]If others are waiting to use the dump station, skip the tank flushing and hose rinsing steps. Pull away from the dump station and then add some water and chemicals to the holding tanks.[*]Never put anything other than the contents of your holding tanks into the dump station.[*]Leave the dump station area cleaner than you found it.Edited by: Ruck

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote