Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
New Camper

I have a 08 Kingston with a Coby DVD/AM - FM radio. The reception on the radio is very poor. The FM antenna for the redio is a wire about 3 feet long that plugs into the unit. My cheep portable radio works much better than the Coby unit.Is this an anantenna problemor is the radio just junk? Does any one else have this problem and how can I correct this problem?
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

We have a RCA theater system in our 09 and have the same problem. I saw a fifth last weekend with an aftermarket antenna mounted just forward of the main slide and he said it works great. This is my plan for the weekend, I will post pictures once I have completed the install

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I had the RCA unit in my unit replaced 2 times under warranty, and they were both junk, I threw it out and replaced mine with a Bose wave.......nice system, and easy to use....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

When I had my Coby unit and experiencing the same poor reception, I found that coax cable would fit into the antenna recepticle on the back of the unit (where the 3 foot wire goes). So, I attached a 2-way splitter to the amplified connection behind the TV with a short piece of coax. Then attached a short piece of coax to the TV and another short piece of coax to the Coby antenna FM input. Raised the TV antenna, turned the amplifier on, and was pleasantly surprised with the very much increased radio reception. Didn't keep the Coby as it didn't provide real 5.1 surround sound. Replaced with a Best Buy brand on sale for around $100 and have been happy since. Don't use the splitter any more as the Best Buy unit has two speaker wire type connections for the radio antenna. Can't use coax.

Hope this helps if you keep your Coby.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbinohio
I had the RCA unit in my unit replaced 2 times under warranty, and they were both junk, I threw it out and replaced mine with a Bose wave.......nice system, and easy to use....

I would love to have a Bose in the fifth, I have a lifestyle 48 and 52 samsung in the basement of the house. I have yet to convince the Banker (wife) to let me have one for the fifth.

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

we liked the bose so much I bought another one for the house, really easy to use, plug and play....if you buy one make sure you get the multi disc player.......

Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCREES
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbinohio

I would love to have a Bose in the fifth, I have a lifestyle 48 and 52 samsung in the basement of the house. I have yet to convince the Banker (wife) to let me have one for the fifth.

You are taking the wrong approach, buy the newest Bose update model for house, move the old unit out to the 5er. Then it is a win-win. Much easier way to convince the wife it is good move...

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

the unit we have for the camper we use on our patio when were spending a weekend at home..the sound from them is great to say the least...the other one stays in the living room

Old 06-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We have a small exterior antenna along the upper edge of the dining slide that seems to pick up stations real well. Was mine after market or from factory?

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastn
...So, I attached a 2-way splitter to the amplified connection behind the TV with a short piece of coax...

Agree, put in a splitter and use the TV antenna.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
New Camper

Send a message via MSN to jspedows
We solved the problem of radio stations by moving our XM radio from my wife's car to the 5th wheel when we go, and have all the wonderful music we could ever ask for. A great investment for both her car and our trailer. We currently just run the very small antenna for the XM and point it toward the south. We really like the XM services.

jspedows is offline   Reply With Quote