Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Just want to share a little experience with all of you.

In late November, Julie was good enough to allow me to purchase a new 32" Toshiba LCD, to be used both in the spare bedroom and the Cruiser. She insisted we get this one because it was cheaper(on Sale). On 2/15/09, the video failed on this unit (Model #32AV500V). Contacted Toshiba Customer Service same day concerning problem. This was finally resolved yesterday morning.

Here comes the rant!

I am evidently too far away (65miles) for them to economically repair/replace the unit, so they will be refunding my purchase price. Now, God knows I'm thankful that we're not left hanging in the wind on this deal. But I just can't believe that a major company like this is basically telling me that, Here's your money back, we won't stand behind our product and oh, you have to wait 7-10 days before the unit is picked up, then once we receive confirmation that it is picked up, we'll send your refund...in 4-6 Weeks! They won't repair/replace a unit that went out before it's in the 3rd month of warranty.

Then, their letter said, "Thanks for being a loyal Toshiba customer". Not anymore Toshiba.

Guess I'll be looking for that Sony I wanted in the 1st place.

The funny part...when I told Julie the final solution to this...she was verwy, verwy quite for a few moments...then she said,"I guess you need to go buy whichever one you want"!

Almost made it all worthwhile!Bout broke my jaw to keep from smiling.

Thanks for allowing the rant

Tip: Before purchasing an appliance or electronics, etc. go to the manufacturers customer support website and search for a local repair center(you may have to call some companies to get this). If it's more than an hour's drive, you may want to reconsider. That's for those of us that live out in the "boonies" anyway.

Happy camping ya'll!

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

That is just weird. You would think they would have replaced it so they could keep the money. In this economy cash is king. No one gives money back anymore.

Well glad you get to buy the model you want anyway.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Lynn, we know all about the hassles of living in the "boonies" but it is well worth the peace and quite that comes with it. Glad to hear it all worked out.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I have 1 Sony Bravia and 1 Sharp Aquos. Very pleased with the quality and unit. I know it is a inconvenience but you can now go buy the one you "really" wanted!

mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
I have 1 Sony Bravia and 1 Sharp Aquos. Very pleased with the quality and unit. I know it is a inconvenience but you can now go buy the one you "really" wanted!

Michael, are the audio/video about the same quality? I'm always open to suggestions. I'm also looking at Hitachi as I've heard alot of good things about them over the years. Guess I'm just a little partial to Sony as we still have a 20" CRT in the computer room; picture is still great, these ol eyes just have a hard time reading the Direct TV guide! And we have a Sony 42" LCD in the Living Room that several have "WOW'ed" over.

Again, any suggestions and supporting specs are surely appreciated. Thanks again all.

07 Cruiser 30SK

&lt
Old 03-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Well - I would buy either all over again. I think I like the picture on my Sharp Aquos better then the Bravia of the same size (26"). While the Sony, I feel - dominates the larger LCD market with their 120hz refresh engine the Sharp Aquos in the RV size range seemed (to me) to have a sharper image and good contrast. Also, the Bravia's have a premium price built in and at 26" I felt the Sharp was the best value.

If I were to buy another 40"+ LCD it would be a Sony. If I need another sub-32" LCD it will be a Sharp!!!!

Happy Shopping!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Here's mine:

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...8,2082,00.html#
Old 03-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I have 3 of the sharp aquos, bought all 3 on line, delivered righ to the house in 3 days, no sales tax, and never stepped foot in a store, we are buying 2 more for the camper, very satisfied with the product and no regrets, I will never buy another tv from a store, the internet is the only way to fly.......

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Dell is where I bought mine, at the time as a cardholder they included a 15% OFF coupon and free shipping. I agree - shop online. I also bought my Bravia online.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Online, yeah, been looking. I really appreciate the input... and I'm looking for a 32".

07 Cruiser 30SK

&lt
Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Lynn check out the Best Buy Store Brand Insigna it is made for them by Sharp

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Thanks, Frank. Yes, I've looked at the Insigna, Visio, etc sets. I've done some research and according to the tech forums, these are considered "disposable" TVs. In other words, if they go out during the warranty period, no problem, they usually will replace the unit.

But, again according to the tech repair guys online,repair parts are hard, if not impossible to come by for these units.Hence, their term, "disposable". I guess we've seen this transition building for years that alot of things we purchase seem to be going this route; Just throw it away and go buy a new one. A $20 hair dryer, OK, but a $4,5,600.00 television, I find thata little hard to swallow.

07 Cruiser 30SK

&lt
Old 03-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

You are right about that I find that they are making these as disposable item's The small TV in our room I have had since 1981 Still works will no repairs at all. The one in the living room I had to replace four years ago, and it replace a unit that I bought in 1999. That was one of those fancy rear projection wide screen tv that I got to watch Nascar with. Two weeks ago we had the washing machine go and later that day the refrigerator I hope that the new ones last as long as the old ones did. I any calling these our retirement appliances.

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote