Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2009, 02:40 AM   #21
Weekend Camper

Thanks Cobra 909.

Installed a backup camera ($49) it was on sale,
5.5" TV B&W monitor with AV inputs ($25.00)
Power strip ($8.00)
400 Watts DC to AC Inverter ($25.00) Already had one. You can use a 150 watt and above inverter.
15 foot Modular single jack (phone cord w/modular jack rj11 about $6.00) Already had one
1.5" x 2.5" piece of Plexiglas ($0.00) I had a Plexiglas.. I did use a cd cover but changed it to plexiglass
Various bolts/nuts/washers/screws, plastic ties. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Cable holders..
1 to 1.5 hours to install.

If you have any of the above then the cost goes down.

If the TV does not AV inputs then a RCA CRF900 RF Modulator is required.
($20.00). Recommend a TV with AV inputs.

The only thing I had to buy was the backup camera, had everything else.

Got the camera from x10 and it is a "NightWatch2 Low-Light Wired Camera". This camera is a B&amp;W camera that can be used at nighttime.

Materials for the camera:

1 NightWatch2 Low-Light Wired Camera.

1.5" x 2.5" piece of Plexiglass

2 screws self-tapping that will fit in "L" bracket. Insure the bracket has 2 holes in each "L" that are in line (not offset).

3 small bolt and nut (about 1" long will do)

3 small washers

A CD cover (used a cover from a 30 pack CD) or Plexiglass

Plastic ties.

Cable holders with small screws.

Or

If you a color XCam Anaconda (color) cost on sale is 49.99

Note: both cameras has 60 ft of cord

Color TV = cost expensive

I installed the camera on the ladder between the 5th and 6th step on the left side of the ladder.

Drill 2 small holes that the screws will have to tap into. The holes have to be smaller then the screws.

Mount the bracket with 2 screws that the bracket is centered on the rail. On the "L" that is facing parallel to the ground with the most outside hole put the CD cover on and aligned the CD cover. It will fit right up against the trailer wall. Just make sure the CD cover is facing down otherwise you will hold water in it. Put the Plexiglass on top of the CD cover. I laid the Plexiglass on the CD cover that will be centered on the outside hole of the bracket and is parallel to the back of the trailer. The camera will be bolted into place using the Plexiglass. Drill a hole using the outside hole in the bracket and put in one small bolt facing up. Attach the washer and the nut on the bolt and tighten. Take the camera and uncoil the wire. The camera has two mounting holes. I enlarge the holes to fit the bolts. If you can find 2 small bolts what will fit into the holes then you do not have to drill. Mount the camera under the CD covers with the mount under the Plexiglass and aligned the mount to the Plexiglass. Mark and then drill 2 holes through the Plexiglass and the drill. Insert the bolts facing up into the camera mount, CD cover and the Plexiglass. Put washers and nuts on. That's it to mounting the camera and the CD cover will keep the rain off the camera. The Plexiglass will be the firm mount for the camera so there is no camera movement. I did cut a small section off the CD cover so the camera will not be showing the CD cover.

Used plastic ties down the ladder for the camera wire. Run the wire on the right side (passenger) side under the trailer. I will use the pipe for the gas line or drill a small hole in the frame for the plastic ties Use the cable holders with small screws and drill small holes in the front of the fifth wheel and under the cab of the fifth wheel and insert the camera wire. You can tuck the rest of the wire under the 5th wheel mount when not in use, keeps it dry. . I will use plastic ties, mount them around the pipe and insert the wire into them.

Next will be the TV mounting in the truck.

This was done in a 2008 GMC k3500

Used large pieces of Velcro for the inverter and power strip and TV..

Used a notebook and used Velcro for the TV and on the bottom of the notebook.

Used the seat armrest to the right of the driver for the TV. If no one is with me then I put it on the passenger side on the floor at a tilled angle. Or you can figure out how to mount the TV on the dashboard. Just remember that right is left and left is right when viewing the cars behind you.

This was done in a 1999 GMC k-3500

Materials:

5" B&amp;W AC/DC TV with AV jacks or use a RCA CRF900 RF Modulator with the TV..

Various bolts, brackets, self-tapping screws.

15 foot Modular single jack (phone cord w/modular jack rj11)

You will have to figure this out and might have to modify mounting the TV on the overhead.

The TV has to be ridged or it will shake like Elvis did.

Mount the TV close behind the driver just to the right of the drives head and back far enough so the driver will not hit his/her head on it when adjusting the seat. The TV will be mounted on the overhead. Several ways to do it. Mount the TV on the cross beam of the overhead using brackets, use care not to put a hole into the roof. The object is to see the TV in your rear view mirror. The video will be just like you are looking at cars behind you using the rear view mirror. If you can mount the TV in front of you, then you will have to remember that the video is reverse.

I did drill holes through the roof and used long bolts to attach the brackets for the TV. Used a sealant to make holes waterproof. Figure when I sell the truck the TV will stay with the truck.

This is really securing the TV. I used round head bolts for this.

If you have to use the RCA CRF900 RF Modulator with the TV, the modulator has instructions.

The camera will have a separate lead to attach it to the TV and then to15 foot Modular single jack (phone cord w/modular jack rj11). Run the 15-foot cord to the back of the truck. I have a crew cab so I just open the back door and put the cord into the door then close the door. You can run it thought the firewall and then to the back of the truck. The way that I ran it then when I see it I know to unplug from the camera when I unhook the trailer from the truck. Now when you have the 15ft cord back to the truck I run it through the side bed holes and wrap it around my trailer plug. Just plug the camera wire into it.

Mount the Power strip and the 400 Watts DC to AC Inverter close to the driver. I used the console on the floor and self-tapping screws. Plug in the TV and the camera power adaptor to the inverter; plug the inverter using the 12volt adapter into your lighter. Turn the inverter on, power strip on, TV on and adjust the camera lens so that the video is right. The camera can be adjusted vertical and horizontal.

Note. Be sure to turn off power when the truck is not running.

Hope this is helpful.

I see everything behind the TT now.

2008 GMC 3500

oldman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

Sorry about fogetting the picture.

2008 GMC 3500

Old 05-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #23
New Camper

Here is the link to the photos showing the installation of the camera, wiring, and monitor in our Cruiser.

http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/s...albumview=grid

Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #24
Weekend Camper

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z...view=slideshow

This is a slideshow of the backup camera.

2008 GMC 3500

Old 05-20-2009, 03:47 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

Thank you very muchÂ*You have inspired me. I have the inverter and other assorted parts and pieces. Now I am looking for a camera and a small monitor.
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:48 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

Thanks oldman2 I guess I have 1 more mod on my list.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #27
Weekend Camper

This is the link to the camera. Also it is on ebay.

http://www.x10.com/products/sc23a_sp_2cv_39c144.html

2008 GMC 3500

Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #28
Weekend Camper

Thanks oldman2.
johnnnyo is offline   Reply With Quote