Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #1
Site Team

Reinforce the axle

Not sure if this would work. But, can you weld a thick angle steel to the length of the axle to strengthen it? Not sure if the welding would weaken the steel of the axle or not. Plus, don't know how you compensate for the arch in the axle.

Any comments?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Probably better to go up one size of axle. I had to go from flimsy 3500 lb one to a 4400 lb axle , which is a 5200 lb axle with 2200 lb springs. Thicker than the 3500 that bent on first long trip. Never a problem after that ,

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Mark
I remember seeing one manufacturer that had a bolt on bar that went from left side to the right side, a set of two, but can't remember if it was Morr ride or not...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Did the axle bend on your ford? Front or rear?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Mark
I remember seeing one manufacturer that had a bolt on bar that went from left side to the right side, a set of two, but can't remember if it was Morr ride or not...

Tommy, I think what you are referring to is th X Factor Crossmember. It reduces stress on your frame from travel over rough roads, tight cornering or extreme side forces. It's aim is to Reduce frame stress.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Do not weld on trailer axles you will change the hardness of the axle and it will likely break later. Change the axle to a heavier weight rated axle. Welding to axles weaken them. They have a specific heat treatment from the manufacturer for there weight rating.
Thomas Walch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Walch View Post
Do not weld on trailer axles you will change the hardness of the axle and it will likely break later. Change the axle to a heavier weight rated axle. Welding to axles weaken them. They have a specific heat treatment from the manufacturer for there weight rating.
Adding an extra angle iron may strengthen the axle, but there is potential for the metal to crack alongside the weld unless the axle was preheated. BUT the big problem is that trailer axles have a certain bend to make sure the tires run straight. Welding on those axles could bend the axle so tire wear becomes problematic.

Do as the others suggest, get bigger axles.
stetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Not sure if this would work. But, can you weld a thick angle steel to the length of the axle to strengthen it? Not sure if the welding would weaken the steel of the axle or not. Plus, don't know how you compensate for the arch in the axle.

Any comments?
Interesting question. I wondered the same thing. After a month of research I gave up and ordered a heaver axle. Just drove to Wichita today and picked them up.
But, making the axle tube less flexible (part of the suspension) will put more load on the spindles and the result will be bent spindles. I'm sure there are other issues with welding to the tubes (such as a change in tensile strength).

My trailer tires wore out on the inside tread in the first 5000 miles I put on the trailer. I went from 4400# axles to 6000# axles but I kept the 2200# springs. This new axle will flex (and flatten) less but the springs should give me about the same cushion (I hope). The brakes went from 10" to 12" and the new axles have self adjusting brakes.

Ordered from here: " https://www.theoempartsstore.com/60655E-ST-EZ-KIT.html "

Shipping was $225. Made to order and can't be returned once you sign for it. Lead time was 5 weeks. I tried to get Dexter to apply credit toward the "upgrade" but all they offered was to replace with the same setup. Which clearly was inadequate. Last summer's 5000 mile trip was about 900 lbs under the load limit of the trailer/axles.

So, this weekend I'll be swapping the axles and installing wet bolts.

" https://nickstruckparts.com/products...gaAqzlEALw_wcB "

good luck with your research. it's a difficult decision.

Dustin

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

The only place to weld on the axle is the spring seat area. I have an 08 Cruiser 30SK that has a weight of up to 12k and came with 5200 k axles, Thats a total of 10.4 K load Capability. You tell me why?. OK, so I have so far replaces the rear axle with a 7K axle and have now seen completely less tp zero adverse wear on the tires. I would like to replace the front axle as well but I'm waiting on budget for that. Since the tire wear has subsided. I'm not too much worried about it. Will change it out ASAP but not tomorrow.
08 cruiser 30SK 5er, solid surface counter tops, 400 watt solar system, 6k axles, dexter never adjust brakes, 16" LTs draging a hyde drift boat behind an 08 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4, Duramax-Ally, CCLB.
dbflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #10
Site Team

12000# total - 20% pin weight = 9600# axle weight.
12000# total - 15% pin weight = 10200# axle weight.
So 10400# axles are the correct size. They axles are sized for the weight they will carry not the total GVWR of the camper. On a 5th wheel the mormal pin weight should be 18 to 20% of the GVWR.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:49 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Hey Dagst1, Thanks for that info, I've always wondered how they could get away with such light axles. Then my case is also a bit different due to the fact that most of the time I'm pulling a tag trailer. Either a drift boat or ATVs.
08 cruiser 30SK 5er, solid surface counter tops, 400 watt solar system, 6k axles, dexter never adjust brakes, 16" LTs draging a hyde drift boat behind an 08 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4, Duramax-Ally, CCLB.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:18 AM   #12
Site Team

Then you would need to add the tongue weight to the camper weight. Then that total should be kept under the camper GVWR.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

So good to know, thanks again. No wonder my tires were wearing. Not any more and have never had a blowout since switching to LTs about 10 years ago.