Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Ok, long trip coming up and I may need to un-hook, re-hook or use the slider. Since we are in a recession I have no desire to spend $300 on a vented 5th wheel tailgate. Is it just as easy to remove the tailgate and store it at home for our trip? This would make things easier and would leave less room for error on the cross country trip.

Am I missing anything here or is this a good option in lieu of a 5th wheel tailgate???
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I always leave the gate at home. With it there you can't forget to lower it and accidentally arrange it into a V shape.

I carry firewood, etc. by using the pockets formed in the Chevy bed for 2 X 6's across the bed behind the hitch. Haven't lost anything yet.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I leave mine attached.. And just lower it. I need to lower it anyway to disconnect and attach the powercord.I can slide my hitch and the pin won't hit the gate either. Unless your towing all the time, I really don't see the value in removing the gate. Those suckers are heavy... Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I leave mine on the truck as well. So farI haven't forgotten to lower it when hitching. I often carry a cooler or something else back there while towing. I have looked at getting a 5er gate but it is a low priority right now.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I leave the tailgate on all the time. I've never had any clearance problems even when the slider is backfor backing up or tight turns. I have a Fold-a-Cover on the truck box that I close up when the trailer is unhitched and the tailgate is needed to enclose the box. We can do daytrips with the box enclosed so that anything in it is out of sight, therefore out of mind.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops
I leave the tailgate on all the time. I've never had any clearance problems even when the slider is backfor backing up or tight turns.

This is the same for me. I had one time it was very close to the tailgate backing into a site,with the slider back, I just put the tailgate down and no problem.

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
Site Team

I guess I look at it a little differently then some.
Spent good money for a 5er, and truck. The price of a flow tru tailgate is pretty cheap Ins.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

The tailgate holds both sides of the bed from flexing in the back when it's closed. Without either type of tailgate there's going to be a lot of stress back there when you're driving down the road. When we used to remove the tailgate & install mesh nets on the back of our 4x4's we would run a bar angled from the back top side of the bed to the floor to stop the flexing. Edited by: Vots

Sin City

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 Cummins

2005 Cruiser 29RK
Vots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I agree with "old Farmer", after you have spent all that money on a nice unit and a 5th wheel, a few hundred bucks for a " v" gate is pretty cheap insurance, I change my tailgate in April and then switch back when the season is done, my thought was the gate was cheaper than the insurance deductible, I bough the black plastic gate, not too badnot as nice as the metal gate that you paint to match the truck but it works..

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Tweety's has them for $176.00 and some change good out fit to do business with
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Thanks and I understand about the fact that I have 30K in the truck, 26K into the camper, $300 into the LCD, 1K into gear for the camper and $300 into a new mattress. I guess I'm drawing the line at a $200-500 tailgate for the truck.

Sounds like my option is to ditch the tailgate for the trip. With the deeper box depth on the newer chevy's the tailgate is longer when open. With the slider engaged and in a tight turn I think the tailgate could make contact.

Have a good one!
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

I have had the Husky Brushed Aluminum tailgate below for over 4 years now and it still looks like new. It is so nice to be able to backup or pull out and not have to give the tailgate a second thought. I did not pay this much for mine at the time I got it but it has been worth every penny we did pay.

http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-be...A2419A0A0.aspx
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:58 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I here yea on drawing the line..Enough is enough with spending on all the accessories stuff. I don't have those v gates either. And i never will. I left my gate home once.. Never again. Nice to put stuff when shopping and stuff. And put up the gate and put the cover on.. Out of site and out of mine. heard hitches/generators/bikes/beer coolers all getting stolen. Toss gate in camper when you need to take it off.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote