Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
New Camper

We have a 2006 27" Zinger BH that needs replacement tires. Orginial are ST205/75C14 the " good old boys " at the campground tell me ' D Load - 6 Ply " is the way to go and say GoodyearHMG 2020 - ST205/75D14 are the best.

What do you think ? Anyone now using these ?
Rick
Old 04-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Going up a load range is good insurance but in my opinion the Maxxis are best right now. Also C load are 6ply rated and D load are 8ply rated.Edited by: Beamer5
Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I just replaced the tires on my TT a couple weeks ago. They were starting to crack horribly. I replaced the factory tires with a set of Kumho Radial 857 from Tire Rack. I wanted to go to load range D and Kumho were the only ones I could find in a 14" load range D. I also ordered a Dill High-pressure retro-fit trailer tire pressure monitor! I installed the new sensors when I did the tires and they work great! I read a lot of good reviews on the Kumho's and hope they serve me well. I believe it will be just like anything else, if you take care of them they will last.
AvyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Site Team

I have no problem recommending the Goodyear Marathons. I replaced the original tires with them a few years back and they have served me well. I'm in the process of replacing those now with another set of Goodyear LTs. Only reason for the replacement is I'm going to a 16 in. tire from a 15in. If you decide to go with the Goodyear, just tell the dealer you want a set that's stamped on the side
"made in the USA" and make sure the build by date is a recent one.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Regardless of the brand of tire, going to Load Range D is good advice. I went up one load range on our 5vr and it made a load of difference. Because you can put more air pressure in the higher range tire, they run a lot cooler. It was the heat that the tire produces that caused them to fail in our case. When I had LR D's on the trailer and the pressurized to the maximum of the tire, they always ran hot. They were always hot to the touch. I bought temperature gun and measured temperatures on the LR D's on hot days of30 to 40 degrees about ambient.We just completed a 7000 mile trip to the Southwest US andunder the same conditions, the LRE's on the trailer run about 10 degrees above ambient.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
New Camper

Thanks everybody for the info......