Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Rig Washing Services

I was in an RV/Resort Park south of San Antonio when some people came by washing people's rigs with a portable high pressure washer. I declined for two reasons one is I am kind of a cheap skate (I'll do it myself) and Two I don't like high pressure water on my rig. That kind of pressure can do all sorts of things, damage decals, force water around seals and the list goes on.
Now for the issue, one of the rigs next to mine decided to hire their services and they picked an extremely windy day to do this. All of the debris from the washed rig blew over onto mine, and it looked like crap. Then they had the gall to ask me to wash mine for $100.
I told them they would need to clean up the mess they made of mine. They wanted to charge me $100 I wasn't paying they to fix what they messed up. They reluctantly washed mine off using high pressure and doing a very crappy job. Lets just say I wasn't a very happy camper!
Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this sort of thing? What would you have done?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Pro BSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro BSer View Post
I was in an RV/Resort Park south of San Antonio when some people came by washing people's rigs with a portable high pressure washer. I declined for two reasons one is I am kind of a cheap skate (I'll do it myself) and Two I don't like high pressure water on my rig. That kind of pressure can do all sorts of things, damage decals, force water around seals and the list goes on.
Now for the issue, one of the rigs next to mine decided to hire their services and they picked an extremely windy day to do this. All of the debris from the washed rig blew over onto mine, and it looked like crap. Then they had the gall to ask me to wash mine for $100.
I told them they would need to clean up the mess they made of mine. They wanted to charge me $100 I wasn't paying they to fix what they messed up. They reluctantly washed mine off using high pressure and doing a very crappy job. Lets just say I wasn't a very happy camper!
Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this sort of thing? What would you have done?

Using a power washer on the trailer is risky business. The tips usually have a standard color code for the spray pattern. I stick to the black and for stubborn stuff, sometimes the white tip.

Also, when spraying, you got to be careful around the windows as they are not made to be taking a force of all that water "sideways". I learned on my hybrid trailer a few years back that hitting any of the windows with direct pressure from the hose means water inside the rig.

As for they cleaning crews, we've not had a problem with overspray from our neighbors. More issues with busy campgrounds and fire pits being a tad too close to my trailer/awning

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I use my pressure washer on my RV. I bought a soap cannon which attaches to the pressure washer. It sprays soap on the RV and the soap is like a foam that slowly slides down the sides softening and removing dirt with it. I use the pressure washer to rinse it. I don't get close or directly on the unit and have never had a problem.

I've never had a problem with people who come in to clean RVs and over spray. My friends 16 year old nephew was complaining about needing money to buy a car. I offered him $100 to wash and another $100 to wax my RV. That's a decent days pay. He didn't want to make money that bad, he went back inside to his game boy. We were in a seasonal park, he would have made a couple thousand that summer just washing for $100 if he wanted to work.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Gone Traveling

Most rv washers have the pressure turned so as not to damage decals/paint. The few times I've had mine done I've asked about what pressure they use & asked for a test before using on my rv. If they use bleach in their soap mix that is MUCH worse on decals than a mild pressure rinse. I also have a small electric pressure washer that is used mainly for washing the roof & hooking to my water softener to rinse the sides.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Decals

Decals need to be waxed a couple times a year, especially when you have the side(s) that gets mostly direct sun. Otherwise they fade, crack and peel.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I've actually read that waxing the vinyl decals can be harmful if you're using a petro based wax. I use a vinyl treatment like 303 compound. A pain, since you can't just wax over the decals; you have to do them seperately.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

X2 on waxing the decals. Since joining the forum in 2012, I've only used 303 on the decals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro BSer View Post
I told them they would need to clean up the mess they made of mine. They wanted to charge me $100 I wasn't paying they to fix what they messed up.
I would have done the same thing. They should have known better.

I've had great luck getting our 45' fiver washed at Blue Beacon truck washes.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
I've actually read that waxing the vinyl decals can be harmful if you're using a petro based wax. I use a vinyl treatment like 303 compound. A pain, since you can't just wax over the decals; you have to do them seperately.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
I use carnuba wax.