Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
New Camper

Roadside Coverage Options

Hi Folks-

I have a 2014 Crossroads Zinger towed by a RAM 2500 Diesel that we've used with no issues over the last 2 years in lots of Colorado mountain driving.
Over the weekend we were towing up a moderate hill and the transmission failed on the truck. The work will be covered by RAM, but getting us out of the situation was a nightmare.

Here we were, uphill with no transmission and could not get a single point of contact for a tow. I really wanted to avoid having to contract a separate tow for the truck and Zinger. After about 3 hours, we were able to get a single tow vehicle to get us to the dealer with out-of-pocket payment.

Right now, I have roadside towing for the truck through State Farm, but not the trailer. RAM also offered towing coverage for the truck only.

So what's the best option here? What do people do when their tow vehicle fails? Any opinions on Good Sam coverage?

Advice appreciated and thanks.

Sammy
sammyjenkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
Site Team

I have Good Sam but have not had to use it. I'm thinking of adding Rv towing onto my AAA policy. It's about a $35 extra fee. So for me it's $118 for my truck and rv.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
I use the Good Sam Roadside coverage. I had the same thing happen 2 years ago in the mountains of VT. Tranny gave up pulling away from a stop sign. Called GS and they sent a heavy duty wrecker that towed the truck and trailer an hour away to the nearest Dodge dealer. Didn't cost me a penny. One thing I will tell you about GS is they are not very fast getting help to you. Took almost 6 hours before the wrecker showed up. Had to call them back after waiting for 3 hours for the first wrecker to show. Found out that the first place they called was too expensive and they dropped the ball and never called anybody else until I called them back telling them no one showed up. Had to wait another 2 hours for the next guy to show. They may not be the quickest but they are the only one that will either send one big wrecker or a wrecker and another tow vehicle for the trailer. I've had to use them about 3 times while towing over the last 15 years. Also have used them for our other vehicles when broke down or the DW forgets to put gas in the car.

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I had AAA for years until we bought a camper, and were given Good Sam. At renewal time, I compared, and AAA wasn't even close. I've used GS, and they are great. It all depends where you break down, and which local shop is in their network. Bottom line, GS covers your RV and all your vehicles for less than AAA charges for just the autos.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
I had AAA for years until we bought a camper, and were given Good Sam. At renewal time, I compared, and AAA wasn't even close. I've used GS, and they are great. It all depends where you break down, and which local shop is in their network. Bottom line, GS covers your RV and all your vehicles for less than AAA charges for just the autos.

Besides that, AAA isn't available in every state. Least ways they weren't when I checked a couple years ago.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:07 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

No you're right. Don't get AAA if you travel far from home. Not covered in alot of places.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

We have had AAA for years with RV coverage when we just had a small popup. We got Good Sam when we purchased our 5th wheel last fall. I plan to keep AAA around but drop the RV coverage, as I like the discounts and travel planning options they have for us, plus it's the better coverage for when we just have the passenger vehicles. Just got my tripTik (custom directions) and travel books for this year's planned trips

Thankfully we haven't had to use either for towing, but like the coverage that Good Sam provides with the trailer/tow vehicle.
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

When we bought our 2016 Sunset Trail 250RB it came with two years of emergency roadside assistance with Coach-Net. Has anyone use this?