Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We went camping this weekend to St. Augustine, Florida in our Slingshot 21FD and as luck would have it the weather got ugly. We've owned this TT for 2 years now and never had an issue, but this time we got hit with a severe thunderstorm at 4 AM and water started flowing from the ceiling. The water was actually coming in through the speaker hole in the ceiling just behind the AC unit. I've inspected the roof and AC unit and didn't see any issues but it's impossible to inspect the seal between the unit and the roof without removing the AC itself. As far as I can tell, the only opening between inside and out is the condensation drain area from the drip pan. I'm starting to wonder if the rain/wind was so strong that it pushed the water back up into the unit through the condensation drain path, but then why didn't the water flow from the AC unit itself rather than behind it via the speaker hole in the ceiling? Does anyone else out there have an experience with this same issue or know AC units well enough to offer up a possible diagnosis?

gregoja11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Some times the four bolts holding the a/c down vibrate loose. check these four for tightness

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Site Team

Pull the inside cover off your A/C and check the bolts that hold the A/C to the roof. Some have found these to be loose. Just don't "over" tighten them or you will create more problems. They only have to be snugged up for the seal to work properly.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Camping World (CW) service dept. is indicating a possible seal leak, but that's dependent on a pressure test to verify. After my telephone discussion just now with CW service dept., I'm starting to lean towards the seal because wind driven rain through the condensation drain would have caused the water to come in through the unit itself which it did not, the water came in behind the AC unit which could point towards a seal leak on the back side. Is it likely for an AC seal to be leaking on a 2 year old TT?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
Site Team

Is it likely for an AC seal to be leaking on a 2 year old TT?

Yes, if the bolts are loose.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Just remember that tt is bouncing up and down when you are traveling. s a result there is a lot of vibration and twisting. Thus it can and some times will loosen up allowing the seal to leak. This is some thing I check on twice a year

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Update 8/25/12 - checked out the A/C unit today and found all four bolts loose. They were so loose I could tighten them with my fingers on the socket, then finished up with a soft turn on the ratchet to get them snug. I am hoping this solves my leak problem, I won't know until next weekend when we go camping again as I'm sure it will rain, after all it's summer in Florida. Thank you to all who posted repair suggestions.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Is the camper in storage? Do you have a water hose?
joemusic321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I was just thinking the same thing. So you can put this to bed or have a better comfort level the problem is gone. I second that water hose statment.

I would also pull the AC cover and take off the top tin to the evaporator. Checking the drains in the plastic tray on both sides . I had one plug up with boogers.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote