Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2022, 12:50 PM   #1
New Camper

Roof Leak Repair

After some recent storms, I noticed some moisture in our cabin. It looks like there is a leak by the caulking on the front passenger side of our roof. You can see the crack, where the water was entering in the photo.

I checked with a local RV place, and they said recaulking the area would be 300 dollars or more. To do a pressure check (since I'm concerned with other potential leaks) would be 500 or more.

I'm relatively handy, but I'm kind of paranoid of messing up, since water damage is so bad. Is this something I can do myself?

Also, there has been some water in from the area of our bedroom vent. I'm not sure if that is the caulk, or if there is some other problem withe the vent.

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roof .jpg (246.1 KB, 18 views)

2012 Nissan NV3500 SL
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail 290QB
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #2
Site Team

If you can use a caulking gun you should ok. Remember to clean the are well, so that the new caulk will stick. I would reseal the whole roof line.
Looks like your roof needs a good cleaning also. Might have to clean it twice.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:15 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks,
I take it that I should take off the old caulk first, right?
Do you have a recommendation of the type of caulk I should use, or do I just check the owner's manual?

2012 Nissan NV3500 SL
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail 290QB
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I would clean the roof thoroughly and use Dicor self levelling caulking. Pick it up at any RV dealer or off Amazon. It’s in a regular caulking tube. That’s what is on there now.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:02 PM   #5
Site Team

Another alternative would be Eternabond tape in either 4 or 6 in. width.
It will cost you more, but if you can get it cleaned up good enough it will be the last time you should have to seal that area.
It does have to be clean before applying tho. You can lap it half on each side of the seam. Just follow manufactures directions for clean up and applying.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Yup, Dicor self leveling is the one to use.
If your caulk wasn't so lumpy, I would recommend you use Eternabond tape on all the seems. Not sure you can level off the caulk to do that.
Should you decide to remove some caulk, be careful not to damage the roof material.
Good luck.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:27 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Dicor self leveling. I agree!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:29 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
After some recent storms, I noticed some moisture in our cabin. It looks like there is a leak by the caulking on the front passenger side of our roof. You can see the crack, where the water was entering in the photo.

I checked with a local RV place, and they said recaulking the area would be 300 dollars or more. To do a pressure check (since I'm concerned with other potential leaks) would be 500 or more.

I'm relatively handy, but I'm kind of paranoid of messing up, since water damage is so bad. Is this something I can do myself?

Also, there has been some water in from the area of our bedroom vent. I'm not sure if that is the caulk, or if there is some other problem withe the vent.

Thanks,
Clean the area (or entire roof) with:
Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner RP-RCl60C
and then run a new layer of Dicor self leveling sealant over the top of the cleaned old sealant. You can also use mineral spirits to clean the old sealant.

IF you try and remove the old sealant you run a good chance of tearing a hole in the roof material. If you get it clean the new sealant will adhere to the old. The cured Dicor is pretty tough to remove.

I was able to remove all of it around a vent (I replaced) but I stretched the fabric so much removing the old it now has ripples in it. In your case I don't think you need to remove the old.

My roof is Alpha (brand) TPO so I used the Alpha self leveling caulk, but I would imagine the Dicor self leveling would have worked just as well.

Here's a link to the roof cleaner:
https://dicorproducts.com/wp-content...aintenance.pdf

Here's a link to AZ Expert cleaning an old roof. He has lots of videos demonstrating how to repair roof leaks.

This video will help you determine if you have a TPO or EPDM roof material:

Happy camping:
Dustin

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:19 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

When recaulking some of my roof and molding I was told to clean the area with alcohol as well, which I did.

While we are on the subject of roofs, I have my camper under a nice cover I had built with sides and back that come down to 6' from the the ground and I was amazed at how dirty the roof still gets. I do live in a wooded area and it can get dusty, but really after several thousand dollars for a cover I was expecting better. At any rate, my camper does not have a ladder and is aluminum structure. I am a bit hesitant to get on top of it to thoroughly clean it. Fortunately, there is a car wash in my area that has a nice catwalk on both sides, but this is still somewhat strenuous. I assume getting on top of my type of roof would require the use of 1/2" plywood to place across the rafters so I can walk on it safely?

Tags
leak, repair, roof