Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2023, 02:18 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Roof puffed up while traveling.

Recently had a full top - bottom detail done on my Hill Country HCT32RL. Guy caulked compete roofline with DAP AMP. Also washed complete unit and roof, looks new again ! On the way home, I noticed in my rear view mirror that where the front cap meets the roofline, there was a small section on both sides where air is getting under the roof and it is puffing up. Crawled up there and I do not see any spots where air could get in there. Could it be coming from somewhere further back, like around front a/c unit ? Caulking looks good, roof has no tears. All seals appear solid. Any ideas?
Ready to Rumble
cwalther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 03:23 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

It’s not so much that air is getting in as the air flowing over the camper actually pulls up on the roof. I’ve seen many a camper with the infamous roof bubble travelling down the road. Roof is still attached across the front.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalther1 View Post
Recently had a full top - bottom detail done on my Hill Country HCT32RL. Guy caulked compete roofline with DAP AMP. Also washed complete unit and roof, looks new again ! On the way home, I noticed in my rear view mirror that where the front cap meets the roofline, there was a small section on both sides where air is getting under the roof and it is puffing up. Crawled up there and I do not see any spots where air could get in there. Could it be coming from somewhere further back, like around front a/c unit ? Caulking looks good, roof has no tears. All seals appear solid. Any ideas?

Years ago they had that problem. (membrane getting air under it) At that time it was decided where the front cap and the membrane meet, the membrane wasn't tucked under that front cap and secured good enough. Consequently, air would get in there and the roof membrane would balloon. Sometimes even tearing off the roof. Everybody, including myself bought a roll of Eternabond tape. (4 in.) We cleaned the area the tape was to cover real good and lapped the tape half over the front cap, and half over the membrane. You have to clean it good and roll the tape down straight with no ripples or gaps. Once this is done correctly you shouldn't have to worry about the roof tearing off because of air getting in there.

Some even went so far as to apply the tape in the same manner on the rear of roof also.
I have also seen where some of the guys by passed the caulking and applied the Eternabond tape all the way around on the roof edges, and every place there was a roof intrusion. I never got that ambitious.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote