Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Roof Repair Question

Hi All:

Been a long time since I've been on, but I know this is the place to come with questions

I've somehow managed to tear my roof lining on the edge above the bunkhouse window. Don't remember hitting anything, but nevertheless, the pictures don't lie...

The guy at the storage facility wants $380 to "fix" it. I have a call in to discuss exactly how he intends to fix it. In the meantime I wanted to reach out to the real experts, this community, to get your thoughts/recommendations. I did see a product from DiCor, that simply looks like a sticky rubber patch. Has anyone used this, and does it work?

Not looking to spend money I don't need to, but I do want to fix this correctly. For some reason the photos are upside down...

Thanks as always for your responses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3489.jpg (71.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3490.jpg (85.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3491.jpg (70.8 KB, 15 views)
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Looks like you may have caught a tree limb. Eternabond tape should fix it up. You can google it. I have used it in the past and it works very good.

Just make sure you prep the roof - clean the area very good. I carry a roll of the 4" wide for "emergency's "
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Looks like you may have caught a tree limb. Eternabond tape should fix it up. You can google it. I have used it in the past and it works very good.

Just make sure you prep the roof - clean the area very good. I carry a roll of the 4" wide for "emergency's "

Ditto on everything dagst1 stated.
I use a roller when I put the tape on. You want to make sure all the air pockets/bubbles get squeeze out.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:26 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

I think your repair guy is looking to make some easy money off you as the $50 roll of Eternabond tape, that he probably already has on hand & needs 6-8", is most likely what he plans.
Clean the area with denatured alcohol, heat it up the area if needed with a hair dryer, add tape & as Loyd said roll out the air bubbles. It's also good to add some Dicor caulk around the tape edges once it's smoothed out to prevent the tape from curling up while washing with a brush.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:40 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Agree with the above. I caught a limb on another 5er years ago and sliced a 10” cut in the edge of the roof. I had a roll of Eternabond tape that I keep on all campers I’ve ever had. Cleaned the roof with alcohol. Let it dry and used the Eternabond and a hair dryer. When I sold the camper the area was still good as new. You can do it.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Alcohol is a poor cleaner for Eternabond. Alcohol has no affect on oil.

This is from the Eternabond website.

Quote:
Cleaning Recommendations
For EPDM and metal clean with a "hot" (fast evaporating) solvent like - lacquer thinner, acetone, automotive brake parts cleaner, or a commercial EPDM cleaner, or a good, non-residue leaving cleaner.
For thermoplastic roofs like PVC, TPO, Hypalon, score the surface of with a Scotch-brite like pad (or equal), sand cloth a sanding sponge, etc. Wipe off dust.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:06 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I was going to mention using acetone, but Mark beat me to it. Be careful not to get it on anything else.
If you were to ask this question on the Faceblek pages, someone would throw in 'Flex tape'. Do NOT go near that junk. It contains petroleum distillates, and will react with, and damage the roof material.
EternaBond is amazing stuff. Get it positioned correctly the first time, you won't have a second chance. (ask me how I know).
If you don't want to buy a 50 foot roll, someone on eBay sells it by the foot.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Alcohol is a poor cleaner for Eternabond. Alcohol has no affect on oil.

This is from the Eternabond website.
Thanks for the info: It was a new camper at the time so the roof fairly clean at that time. But I’ll log that knowledge for another day.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 03-04-2021, 05:08 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Ditto on the acetone instead of alcohol for cleaning

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

This info is good to know and plan to get a roll of that tape. When I bought my trailer three years ago (used private sale) I was a babe in the woods. I brought it in to a local RV dealer to go through the whole unit to see if everything was working and any do's and dont's. One item was a tear in the roof possibly caused by a tree branch. Their price was $6000 to replace the rubber roof and any material underneath. I had to take a look at the hole that would have created such an expense and I was shocked to see, actually very hard to see, was a slight slip in the material. Short story, I had the roof repaired on an vehicle insurance claim. Cost was $500 deductible.

Pretty sure if I had known about this tape I would have gone that route.

Has anyone used the EternaBond to seal around roof vents, AC, etc. Or is the caulking the best way go go.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:58 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Dicor lap sealant for the sides and Dicor self leveling for the roof.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:57 AM   #12
Site Team

[QUOTE=Yakherder;147173]This info is good to know and plan to get a roll of that tape. When I bought my trailer three years ago (used private sale) I was a babe in the woods. I brought it in to a local RV dealer to go through the whole unit to see if everything was working and any do's and dont's. One item was a tear in the roof possibly caused by a tree branch. Their price was $6000 to replace the rubber roof and any material underneath. I had to take a look at the hole that would have created such an expense and I was shocked to see, actually very hard to see, was a slight slip in the material. Short story, I had the roof repaired on an vehicle insurance claim. Cost was $500 deductible.

Pretty sure if I had known about this tape I would have gone that route.

Has anyone used the EternaBond to seal around roof vents, AC, etc. Or is the caulking the best way go go.[/QUOTE]

I have heard of different ones using the tape to seal around everything. I haven't gone that route. For one thing, once you put it down, it's pretty tough to get it off. I think about the occasions when you might have to replace a vent, AC, or what ever.

I did lay a strip down where the front cap meets the roof membrane. Lapping equally onto each all across the front of the roof. Years back (about the time frame of my rig, there was problems with wind being able to get under the membrane and lifting/tearing it off. Some of us figured by lapping the eternabond over it would eliminate that problem.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Thanks PapaT and Lloyd for the feed back. I'll be looking to do some sealing in the near future.

While I have your attention, what is the best method to get the old caulking off?
Old 03-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakherder View Post
Thanks PapaT and Lloyd for the feed back. I'll be looking to do some sealing in the near future.

While I have your attention, what is the best method to get the old caulking off?

A good putty knife comes in pretty handy. Plus a lot of patience.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:18 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
A good putty knife comes in pretty handy. Plus a lot of patience.
Absolutely, I agree.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:24 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Patience must you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakherder View Post

If it is old and dry, GENTLE application of heat might also help.
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:18 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

I've used the Eternabond over repaired surfaces on my old camper.. never as a primary sealant. There are other forums where people swear by the stuff for everything.

My old camper had it covering the front/rear cap transitions, and the sides of the roof where it intersected with the wall. I also had it sealing a cut on the roof (which was flat). I never had an issue with leaking and it was on there for about 5 years before I sold it this spring.

I'd use it again. It can be removed with a heat gun or hairdryer. Just heat it up.. the plastic cover will peel off and then it can be scraped off.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

The ETERNABOND TAPE is considered a "permanent repair"
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote