Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Roofing Material

Hello all I am going to be getting up on my roof for some inspection POST Winter, I have 2 questions
1. Is the Roof safe to walk on seems to be asked a lot. I walked on my Old Campers roof without second guessing but seems everyone is worried on the Crossroads campers for some reason. I figure they have to walk on it to mount AC & items & vents I would think its not going to cause issues when I walk on it. Using caution of course & not jumping up & Down mind you.

2. How do I know what roofing material is on my campers roof.

I have a 2018 280 RK.

Thanks in advance for any advise or infor you can provide to me.

Patty
PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

My 2013 has an Alphe membrane roof material. And uses Alpha self levelling 1021 sealant . Guess it is same as dicor sealant
If you want to see how you roof is put together...simply unscrew the 4 screws that hold the inside cover for the roof vent and look inside. You will be suprised how thin the wood is.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
Site Team

After some research I found that there are two types of roofing:
1) Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer or EPDM
2) Thermal Poly Olefin or TPO.(ALPHA)

Easiest method I know is to go inside the RV and locate an overhead roof vent. Using the proper type screwdriver remove the vent trim ring. Most RV manufacturers will leave a section of the roofing material stapled to the inside of each side of the framed vent opening. If possible remove a staple so you can look at both sides of the roofing material.

If one side is a white or a dove color and the other side is black it is EPDM. If the roofing material is all one color, top and bottom, it is TPO. Some TPO roofing has a fleece backing too, but the thing to remember is if the roofing material is all one color it is TPO.

If your RV roofing is TPO you need to do a bit more research prior to using any sealants. Beginning in 2011 new forms of TPO roofing entered the RV marketplace. Basically if the TPO roofing was manufactured in 2010 or earlier or if it has a fleece backing you can use Dicor lap sealant for repairs and resealing.

If the TPO roofing was manufactured in 2011 or later, or if it does not have a fleece backing you need to use the Dicor Ultra Sealant System for resealing and repairs.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I had a 2013 25rb with no ladder mounted on the back and the roof was very thin. I traded for a 2017 26bb and it had a ladder mounted on the back and roof is thick enough to walk on. So if you have a mounted ladder you are ok to walk on the roof but if not I wouldn’t walk on the roof
Old 05-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

My 2010 SS Trail 26rk has no ladder. I'm 245lbs before dinner, and walk it regularly to clear debris and such using a telescopic ladder I bought. No issues, not spongy, or even given me a slight cause for concern. YMMV
Old 05-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Roofing Material

Our 2014 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve has the Alpha Systems Membrane also. I was told by Crossroads; before they sold out to Keystone that we "DO NOT" have a walkable roof! If your TT did not come with a factory ladder, than your roof is not walkable. I do however get up there to do maintenance but I have purchased a 4' x 8' piece of luan (1/8" thick plywood panel) and cut it to 2' x 2' sheets and lay that down before i go crawling around on my roof. Our roofs are constructed of this 1/8" luan on top of the trusses and then the Alpha Systems membrane is glued over the luan. This was done to make the Crossroads Trailers "Ultra Lights" and to reduce costs (materials and labor) overall. I'm not a fan of this 1/8" thick luan roof. I just discovered, while up there the other day, a soft spot and discoloration on the membrane just to the left of the vent in the bedroom and during a heavy rain today, a leak around the skylight above the kitchen. My intent is to get up there in the next couple of weeks when it clears up and no rain is present for awhile, I want to strip off the vents, AC , skylights, transition moldings and antenna, peel back the Alpha roofing and re-roof using 3/8" minimum underlayment and have that RV Armour roofing material applied once all the equipment is put back.
kckettridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckettridge View Post
Our 2014 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve has the Alpha Systems Membrane also. I was told by Crossroads; before they sold out to Keystone that we "DO NOT" have a walkable roof! If your TT did not come with a factory ladder, than your roof is not walkable.
I must be much lighter up in That Atmosphere ! Lol Maybe things were different in 2010...