Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #21
Seasonal Camper

I am currently negociating on a new Mobile Suite unit and what what I see in this supposed high end unit and the MS is a world of difference, why would a person buy a unit from a "new company" and have no idea if this unit will make it or not, crossroads treid to be supposedly high wnd with the Silverado and it was a failure, I think that crossroads nitch is surely not in the high end market, they make some nice entry, mid level units but non of their products would be considered a high end....for my money we will go with a company with a proven high end product, ....I suggest you go and look at a Carriage unit or a Mobile Suite, a beautiful unit, and to pay big money to a company to a company that may or may not make it seems a dumb bet to me....just my opinion

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:22 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

The Redwood is not a Seville replacement, and the press release indicates that the Redwood is aimed at the full-timing market. The Seville was suitable for full-timing, but seems to have been targeted more at the general top-of-the-line market such as the Forest River Cardinal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo
It does say "Crossroads" under the Redwood logo.
Tom Holsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 AM   #23
Seasonal Camper

The way i read it, Redwood is not a CrossRoads product at all. Redwood is a division of Thor Industries just like Keystone, Breckenridge, Crossroads, Dutchman, Airstream........etc.

http://www.thorindustries.com/home/It seems to me thatThor is entering into thehigh end RV market. Since Thor is one of the leaders in the RV industry Idon't see why they won't be succesful.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #24
Weekend Camper

scott,

artgpo is correct that Redwood seems to be associated with Crossroads. We don't know just how Thor supervises its wholly-owned competing companies. I suspect Redwood is using some spun-off management and construction staff from Crossroads. It might even be using the same manufacturing plants, at least for a while.

And I still think Thor is looking at years of operating losses to establish a new high-end brand.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #25
Full Time Camper

So am I getting this right? Redwood is completely a new RV company that's a sister company to CrossRoads falling inline with other Thor companies, while Rushmore is replacing the Kingston and Seville line?

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

Bet it is still built on a Lippert frame....
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #27
Weekend Camper

Close, with Redwood looking more like a spin-off aka clone of, or graft from, Crossroads, i..e, with a significant cadre from Crossroads. Thor intends that Redwood eventually be like other RV companies wholly owned by Thor but, at least at startup, it is getting a lot of help from Crossroads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salda01
So am I getting this right? Redwood is completely a new RV company that's a sister company to CrossRoads falling inline with other Thor companies, while Rushmore is replacing the Kingston and Seville line?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #28
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
You don't launch a new product as involved as a full-timing unit without an experienced engineering, manufacturing, and management team. THOR was smart to utilize Crossroads as a the division to launch this new product. Who else in the THOR umbrella was up to the task? Certianly not Keystone or Dutchmen.

I like the new product sneak peek; I look forward to an actual full review by the first owner!
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #29
Seasonal Camper

Keith your right it's on a lippert frame.....same old song.....they gave the frame a new name but my money says.....same old thing with a new name

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

Lippert is a metal fabricator that takes prints and production direction from the RV manufacturer. They have expanded their product offering a good bit by also offering steps, jacks, slide trays, suspension components, etc... They did this so a RV manufacturer can come to them with their product idea and Lippert could sell them the chassis fitted for the "body."

Lippert is not a bad company. Their warranty coefficient rate is quite low. If you have a chassis issue, 99/100 times its an inherent design flaw of which the RV manufacturer made. Take note as well that the warranty usually was held by the RV manufacturer, not Lippert. Some incredibly valuable changes have been made the last year or so with Lippert and their subrogation process for claims that should help boost their reputation. But to most in the industry, Lippert is a scapegoat.

Note that all Thor brands, all Forest River brands, all Gulfstream brands, DRV/Doubletree, Sunnybrook, Open Range, and virtually everyone else uses Lippert for their metal fabrication. Only Carriage, Jayco/Starcraft, Marathon use other vendors or self-fabricate.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #31
Weekend Camper

mbinohio

That is right, if you arelooking Mobile Suite, it has a Lippert frame under it too!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote