Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

So my new E rated Maxxis were delivered from Discount Tire, 484.00 delivered, 3 or 4 work days, they come highly recommended. Bought my Michelins for my Yukon from them also. I intend to use metal valve stems and have the tires balanced, I've been doing my homework I'm thinking I want the means to jack the trailer myself so I can repack the bearings annually, maybe rotate the tires. Guess I'll need a bottle jack, how many tons? Will jack stands work or should I use wood? How big of jack stands? My Cruiser is probably under 10,000 loaded. I know I should jack the frame, not axels, where though (placement)? Scissor jacks up or down? I'm a bit anxious working under a jacked trailer so I want to do it right.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I think you will hear three basic ways. Jack by the frame ... that is how Lippert and CR says to jack the trailer. I have seen others jack one tire at a time buy the U bolts. The third way is to roll one tire up on blocks to lift the tire you want to change off the ground. After seeing a post back a few weeks about a collapse of an axle tube. If you choose the frame method it would be a jack with blocks of wood to lift the frame however, on one side you my have to work around the gas line. Lifting by the U bolts I would lift one tire at a time as the same with rolling the trailer up on blocks.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I use the tire changing lift ramp I carry all the time. It is a bit more work but very safe and won't hurt the tubes.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

If you do not believe the axle tubes on the Cruiser are not marginal look at this post http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...ID=18378#18378

Sorry I can not seem to get a clicky to work.

Jacking on the U-Bolts is probably not recommended and Lippert tells you not to.

rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

That was my rear axle in the above referenced post. After that experienceI would never recommend supporting the trailer on one axle even for a short time.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote