Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Sanitizing Fresh Water System

Heading out on our first camping trip of the year next weekend. Looking at sanitizing the fresh water system before we leave. Fifth wheel is currently sitting in our rock drive way and don't want to drain the 56 gallons of bleach water in drive way that would cause a huge mess. Has anyone made an adapter to attach the fresh water tank drain to a garden hose?

Justin & Kayla Flowers
2016 Rezerve 31BH
2013 GMC 2500 Denali Duramax
judflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Depending on how much bleach you used (a full tank of water only should take a cup or less of bleach), draining it in your driveway should not be an issue. I flush mine twice after sanitizing and then run all the water lines for 3-5 minutes. You might still get a bit of bleach smell but it's not bad. After all this, I switch the hot water tank over and fill it.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
Site Team

If you have powered chlorine, 2 teaspoon full in the freshwater tank will do the job. You don't get that awful smell like bleach and does the same job. When it drains onto the ground, will not harm or have a smell. I personally don't believe in using bleach.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Mark, what's the difference?
Isn't there such a thing as liquid chlorine bleach?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Lloyd, here's the article my brothers, Biology teachers, sent to me.

Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water

You could decide for yourself. One thing I don't like is the bleach smell. You don't get that with pool chlorine and the little smell that's left is flushed out with plain water.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 03-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I'm not worried about the bleach part. The part that i'm having an issue with is the 56 gallons. I have about 3 inches of rock on top of New Mexico clay. If it rains hard here the wife gets stuck in the drive way with her car. I have no way of getting the front of the trailer where the drain is into the grass. i just need to move the water away from the trailer. The only other option i have is pump all 56 gallons into the gray water tank and use my sewer adapter cap that reduces it into a garden hose.

Justin & Kayla Flowers
2016 Rezerve 31BH
Old 03-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
Site Team

Buy a drain valve with a hose outlet on the end. Cut off the end of the drain tubing. Attach valve to the drain line of the fresh water tank. You are now able to hook up a hose and run it to where you want to. That's what I did and it works great.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Just put a funnel connected to a hose (could be taped in place) and support it under the drain and run the hose to the road or where ever.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

how about a 5 gallon bucket with drain fitting installed and hook a garden hose to it and drain the water off to anyplace you like
Old 03-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
Site Team

If you're going to put a drain fitting on the bucket you mine as well put it on the end of the drain hose. Simple, cut, push on and turn to release water. BAM

Old 03-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Buy a drain valve with a hose outlet on the end. Cut off the end of the drain tubing. Attach valve to the drain line of the fresh water tank. You are now able to hook up a hose and run it to where you want to. That's what I did and it works great.

Mark, where did you get this?

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #12
Site Team

Mine looks a little different, but works the same. I think it was Lowes or Home depot. Got it a few years back.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

I did something similar. I didn't like having a drain cap, I wanted a valve. I cut off the drain fitting on the pex, then used a quarter-turn faucet cutoff from the hardware store. Pex on one side, 3/8" compression fitting on the other. I leave the compression nut without fitting on to protect the threads. When I want to drain, I use a short faucet hose that has 3/8" compression fitting on one end, a pipe size (1/2" ??) on the other. To that I have a pipe to garden hose screwed on permanently. Using this little adapter, my drain valve goes to garden hose, for the purpose of routing my drained tank where I want it to go. Nothing special, all parts from hardware store.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:35 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
I did something similar. I didn't like having a drain cap, I wanted a valve. I cut off the drain fitting on the pex, then used a quarter-turn faucet cutoff from the hardware store. Pex on one side, 3/8" compression fitting on the other. I leave the compression nut without fitting on to protect the threads. When I want to drain, I use a short faucet hose that has 3/8" compression fitting on one end, a pipe size (1/2" ??) on the other. To that I have a pipe to garden hose screwed on permanently. Using this little adapter, my drain valve goes to garden hose, for the purpose of routing my drained tank where I want it to go. Nothing special, all parts from hardware store.
I didn't like the drain caps either because they are messy an hard to remove. On my Cruiser Aire I found that I could just remove the caps and screw on a plastic cut off valve -with some teflon tape. I'm not concerned with water in the gravel driveway but could screw in a hose fitting to the outflow end of the new valve. Those valves are about the most bang for the buck you can get for a convenience upgrade!
stormseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
MY MISTAKE! After reading the last comment, I realized I DID NOT cut the drain hose, rather I too, bought a valve with a screw-on thread to the drain plug. I correct myself because I CANNOT assert that the drain tube will fit a Pex fitting. The part about the adapters is correct.
Dalzell SC
Old 03-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

This is the route i went thanks you for you'r help. Sorry for the image being sideways. Still trying to figure out this forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (1).jpg (455.7 KB, 6 views)

Justin & Kayla Flowers
2016 Rezerve 31BH
Old 03-27-2016, 07:49 PM   #17
Site Team

As long as it won't drag on ground your fine now.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Good fix! Here's a thought - unscrew the bolt holding the blue, round "handle" on the valve, and keep the handle handy. Less to snag on underbrush, and less chance of anyone opening the valve to see what happens. Just hold the round blue thing up to the valve and turn it when you want to. Just an idea.
Dalzell SC