Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Our Hamton has a main hookup for our satellite up front so am wondering if I can hook up a splitter to the main so that we can watch tv in the bedroom at the back of our Hampton? Or would we have to run a cable from front to back and possibly have to drill holes to install from front to back ??? I've heard if I put in a splitter that I won't have very good reception ??
arly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

don't drill holes just yet.. Need HDMI to view in HD.. Coaxal is on its way out !. Like the VCR.

I will be changing my whole house over to HDMI and pulling out all the co-axle wire. I have already bought cables and a hdmi splitter. When my current old, standard receiver dies, Then i will make the plunge to HD TV.. Even in the camper, rendering the co-axle cable useless. Like the VCR.

My house has coaxle currently. I have one receiver running 5 tv's (splitter after splitter).. NON HD set up. And the picture at best is 720. And looks good but non HD. My Camper has two tv's running from 1 receiver. Using a splitter. You can only split the TV out on the back of the Sat. Receiver. The cable from the dish to the receiver you can not split. I will not be spending a dime or drilling any holes for a NON-HD Coaxle set up anymore. Old Tech.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the reply. We understand what you're saying. Now my problem is Ok we do it your way but I still can't change channels from the bedroom in the back which is 40 feet away ??
arly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Arly

You can buy a wireless video sender at Radio Shack. It sends the tv signal and the ability to change channels from quite a range. I have the sender on one of my satellite receivers in the basement of my house and use it to send the signal upstairs into the kitchen which has the receiver. I have had it for around 10 years and have never had a problem. No wires to run no holes to drill. Very easy to install.

BrianEdited by: Badwin
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

we are using the 5.8mhz unit from this company, includes a IR remote repeater (or you can use RF remotes).

http://www.nyrius.com/products/?category=21

We bring the Sat into the living room to the SD receiver, from there the 5.8mhz unit sends it to the bedroom. Works well, but it does not like people walking between the units, so it definiately is a line of sight unit.

We tried just running an RF connection out of the receiver and through the cable wiring plant, but the picture was not that great, this is much better.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

It also depends on your sat receiver. I have a dish that outputs HD and SD. I ran the SD output and split the cable going to the bedroom (after the power amp) and now can change channels and watch different shows in each room. Yeah, it's not HD in the bedroom but then, Hey, were camping right?

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Yup, Stan, we are camping.. But,, The TV is HD ready, The receiver is HD ready, and the only thing that is keeping you from getting the best of the best out of your equipment, Is a $25 HDMI wire!.

Also. Back to the change channel thing from another room.. Arly, You need the "X10", No getting up to change the channels "no more". http://www.x10.com/automation/pm5900_s.html#

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote