Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
New Camper

satellite connection in RV

Have a Hampton that is satellite ready. Has 2 hookups in back for cable and satellite. Main area has the 2 hookups as well but bedroom and back bunk area only have 1 which I am guessing is cable?? Can some one help with how I can have satellite in the bedroom and bunk house area??? Is there anything needed to change as I guess I thought satellite ready would mean entire trailer was set up but had no luck hooking up receiver on these areas.
lookin4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

do a search on this forum as this has been discussed recently. I hooked mine up behind the booster box (added a tee to the coax going to the bedroom). I don't get HD to the bedroom because the HD out of the receiver goes to the living room TV. My other receiver output is SD which is fine. I tune the receiver so we can watch different channels.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Lookin
I might be missing something, but I do not understand why there is two seperate coax cable runs in the RV...One for satellite and one for cable, other than the fact that you might want to use the satellite in the main living area and the cable in the bedroom at the same time...Coax cable is all the same, RG6...You should be able to connect your satellite into the cable port and have satellite though out the camper....If that assumption is incorrect someone please explain why...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Not sure why....hopefully someone will chime in, but I had that same though but it definitely did not work!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Because of the booster....The satellite cable runs straight to the ent center. The cable coax runs straight to the booster and THEN to the other bedrooms/hookups. The booster blocks satellite signals. That's why I had to install a TEE in the coax going to the bedroom AFTER the booster.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Because of the booster....The satellite cable runs straight to the ent center. The cable coax runs straight to the booster and THEN to the other bedrooms/hookups. The booster blocks satellite signals. That's why I had to install a TEE in the coax going to the bedroom AFTER the booster.
X2...This is my understanding as well as I have asked this question many times.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
Site Team

My Sunset Trail has 2 connections on the rear of the camper, one for cable and one for satellite. The satellite connection is connected to a single coax that terminates in a connection behind the living room TV. The cable connection is connected to coax that joins with a cable from the antenna in the amplifier box. It is distributed to the living room TV, the bedroom TV and the outside TV connection.

When I got my Winegard Carryout and Dish Network receiver, the instructions said DO NOT connect to coax that passes through an amplifier, or it will not work.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Stan & Kemp
Thanks for the explanation....
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
New Camper

agree with Gsxrgizz Unsure why.... hopefully another person may chime with, yet I needed that similar however but it surely would not operate!!!!
robles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

So I spent the weekend at the lake looking at the rats nest left behind my TV by the factory. In my trailer, I currently have 4 TV outlets that I would like to have connected to satellite instead of cable. One TV is in the main living room area, one is in the main bedroom, one is in my sons bedroom and the 4th is on the outside wall.

Once I was able to pull everything through the incredibly small I found everything labelled as follows.....

TO TV 2 - runs to a 2 way splitter connected to 2 cables but don't know where they go to
TO TV 3 - should go to one of the bedrooms
TV ANT IN - coming from the antenna to the booster
CABLE IN - from the outside connection to the TV
TO RADIO - N/A

I get that the main TV is direct connected to the satellite box and that TV2 and TV3 would go to either bedroom but I am confused about the outside TV as I can't figure out where that cable is. The only thing I can think of is that maybe one of the two cables from TV2 that runs through the splitter goes to the outside outlet however, if this is the case, where does the other cable go and what is it for??? If this is not the case, where is the outside cable and what are the other two for that run through the splitter??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

In the end, I just assume that If I run a splitter from the main satellite to the other three connections everything should work but U still have two questions.....

1. If I add another satellite box to my sons room would I just direct connect it like the main TV so he can watch shows independently of us?

2. Can a splitter run into another splitter? If I split the main cable to connect the other rooms and outdoor, what do I do with the splitter coming off TV2?

Thanks for the help!!!

Cheers
Old 05-29-2015, 05:31 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Anyone??

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

OK, I will give it a shot!

1. Yes just hook the sat cable to your sons receiver.
2. You can split a splitter but signal loss may take a toll. Also the splitters need to be of the freq range of the sat signal. IE...you can get splitters for UHF, VHF and then there are ones for satellite.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Each sat receiver needs to be connected to it's own LNB aka low noise block downconverter which drops the frequency from about 12 gigaherz to about 950 Mherz. A block downconverter reduces either all of the even numbered transponders or odd numbered ones depending on which type one tunes into. The LNB is the dish mounted device into which the coaxial cable is connected. This reduction in frequency is necessary because microwave frequencies do not travel well along wires while low frequencies do well along wires.

Hope this helps......
fuzzdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:22 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

We have DISH dual tuner DVR so only need one DVR. Our dealer ran satellite to our bedroom with quite a bit of difficulty and lots of time and he said lots of connections. Not sure why he didn't just run one cable directly from the DVR to bedroom. We have the Winegard Traveler. Anyway, has worked pretty well until we went to factory rally last week. Got there and bedroom TV reception was horrible. Living room was great. We thought we must have a loose connection somewhere and sure didn't know how to even find it. Got back to our summer home spot and bedroom TV is working great again. Any suggestions as to why one TV would not get good reception?

Klrful
Full-Time RVer
Klrful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

I have a dish dual and have never had that particualer issue. Not knowing just how the cable was run makes it difficult to diagnose. Was the booster on? It should be off. Bad connection at bedroom TV? If it works fine now, you may never find out just what happened.