Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #1
New Camper

Question Satellite connection in the main living area does not work

Hi, we just purchased a 2019 Crossroads Cruiser Aire 28 RD. Outside, there are two coaxl connecions, one labeled Cable, the other "Sat". When we connect our Playmaker portable satellite to the SAT connection, then connect the receiver to the coax plate behind the TV in the living room it won't work. I know the satellite and receiver are fine because if I connect directly to the satellite box, it works perfectly. there is not a second plate connection behind this tv, just the one. In the bedroom (where there is no TV installed yet but connections), there is the winegaurd antenna booster that I turned off and still wont work. there is also a second wall plate connection here but it is not labeled. We contacted the dealer where we bought the camper and were told that the living room is only wired for a cable connection which seems pretty silly considering the majority of RVs probably use a satellite rather than cable. can anyone confirm this is the case or tell me how to test it? Bypass it? something? We did run our satellite cable through the slide-out weather stripping to use on our maiden trip with our new camper but that is not how we ideally want to do it. The 5th wheel is supposed to be "Satellite Prepped" so you would think it would be as easy as connecting the dish to the outside "SAT" port, then the receiver inside to the wall plate, and HDMI cable to the TV...but obviously, it isn't that simple I guess. Appreciate any insight you can offer
GretaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Try the other connection, maybe they have them labeled wrong !!! It wouldn't be the first time something was done backasswards at the factory.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks, we did try that too...neither worked :-(
Old 06-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Exact same issue I had with my rig 12 yard ago. The problem was a bad connection on the sat line. Not sure if it was at the outside box, inside plate or the cable itself because the dealer fixed it. There have been a lot of problems with Crossroads Coax cable connections in the past. It appears there is still an issue. Keep in mind (at least in my experience) the Sat cable only goes to the liv room ent center not the bedroom. There have been fixes and people have routed the signal to the bedroom but that is a different thread. I would start your diagnosis with pulling the two connection plates and checking there.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Another thing a person could do is chase that outside connection around to the inside to see which connection goes where, If you have a multimeter and a long RG-6/coax cable. Just connect the coax to the outside and bring the other end in through the door and using the ohm meter chase it to where you make a correct contact with each inside outlet. You'll need 2 coax cables too achieve this, the one that comes through the door, and another to the inside connection, then just use the ohm meter to make the contact to only the little copper wire in the two ends of the coax. that would be the best way to chase your coax wire around the trailer
Old 06-22-2019, 09:08 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I just went through this three weeks ago the first time using our Playmaker. I bought a coax cable tester on Amazon to help troubleshooting the problem. We had the same scenario and had to run the coax through the slide seal to get it to work. I got the tester and checked both coax connectors on the exterior and interior and the satellite coax connector showed a fault. I checked the connections behind the faceplates and the coax connection for the satellite behind the exterior faceplate was loose. I had to use a wrench to tighten it because they had the coax cable bound up inside the wall. It all works as it should now. Good luck.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:32 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk1998 View Post
I just went through this three weeks ago the first time using our Playmaker. I bought a coax cable tester on Amazon to help troubleshooting the problem. We had the same scenario and had to run the coax through the slide seal to get it to work. I got the tester and checked both coax connectors on the exterior and interior and the satellite coax connector showed a fault. I checked the connections behind the faceplates and the coax connection for the satellite behind the exterior faceplate was loose. I had to use a wrench to tighten it because they had the coax cable bound up inside the wall. It all works as it should now. Good luck.
Would you mind telling us what cable tester you purchased?
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:15 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...1&d=1561263242
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A9BCBBDD-B15A-4746-A07A-C4AEAEDD1B46.jpg (135.7 KB, 23 views)
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

At least yours was labeled. Lol. Ours are just two connections. I think the closest one to the side of the camper is regular coax and the one on the right is Sat. On ours.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #10
New Camper

Thank you to all who have responded and offer ideas. I have at last heard back from Crossroads...and it is a fact that the Satellite only runs to the bedroom TV area (where there isn't actually a TV installed) and not to the MAIN entertainment center in the living room..seems like a bad design idea on the part of Crossroads in my opinion.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

That's a big surprise and counter to how CR has run the cable in the past. The good news is it will be relatively easy to get SAT to the Liv Rm TV .
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:05 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

GretaK
I have found that the connecting ends on almost all the coax cable are the cheapest the manufacturers could find and do not make a good connection with the cable...Might want to check or replace as many as you can access, or have someone with a crimp tool, and crimp connectors do it for you...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I had to run another cable thru the wall behind the tv and run my satellite antenna to it and it works fine that way.
Gregpriddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #14
New Camper

I have the same rig a 2018 and after checking all the connections that feed from the out side only goes to the bedroom TV I ran mine thru the corner of the slide by the door and the finished opening the slide when I get home I will be working on a solution

Tags
coaxl, satellite