Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I have a Direct TV Dish now and I hooked up the receiver and dish today.. got a great picture sitting in my driveway... I hooked the cable from the dish directly to the receiver.

Next I hooked the cable to the SAT in line on the outside of the Cruiser... no signal.
I made sure the amp button was not on.
I remember reading somewhere about having to change the connections on the jack connections inside the entertainment center.

Am I correct or what do i need to do?

https://i43.tinypic.com/rlz8tk.jpg

Life is too short not to live it as a Texan.
Texas1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

If you don't have the coax connector for sat. and only have the cable one,You have to bypass the amp. The receiver can't pass the voltage it needs for the LNB to operate with the amp in line. Easy was is to disconnect the park cable coax from the cable connector and drill a hole beside the plate and connect the cable coax to the new plate for the hole you drilled. You can do what some do and run the sat. coax thru the slide seal ,but not as neet.There are servel placed this hs ben ask on different forums. You could search and maybe find some drawings.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Mike, on the older rigs(like yours and mine) the Sat cable went directly from outside to the Ent center. You should not have to do anything. I did have a bad connection on the Sat cable which I discovered when trying to do what you did, so you might look for that as the culprit.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Mine has 2 jacks behind the TV. One is labelled Antenna/Cable and has the switch for the amp with the little red LED. A separate plate on the wall is labelled Sat and only has a coax connector, no amp switch. In the left side compartment there are 2 connections, Sat and Cable...

Reason I know is I just went thru the "no tv" signal thing. While parked less than 10 mi (Traders Village in GP) from all the major channels in DFW I could barely get half with the amp on. I got more channels with the amp off and the best half scale. HMMM Tonite after getting home I pulled the plate from the wall and tightened all the connections. I am now 65 mi from the same cluster of tv transmitters and get several full scale and the rest acceptable. Much better performance 55 mi further out. I also found the little jumper cable from the wall to the TV was flaky. The city references are for the Bedford neighbor, he'll know what I'm talking about.

YMMV
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1949
I have a Direct TV Dish now and I hooked up the receiver and dish today.. got a great picture sitting in my driveway... I hooked the cable from the dish directly to the receiver.

Next I hooked the cable to the SAT in line on the outside of the Cruiser... no signal.
I made sure the amp button was not on.
I remember reading somewhere about having to change the connections on the jack connections inside the entertainment center.

Am I correct or what do i need to do?

Your trailer should have two outside coax connectors. One is for CATV and the other for a satellite dish. The cable for the dish is separate from the CATV and will come into the Entertainment centre as just a cable outlet. You need to connect your satellite box to that separate connector and the dish to the "SAT" connector on the outside of your trailer. Do NOT connect your satellite box to the batwing antenna amplifier. I've added a drawing that I've made up for our trailer to illustrate the connections.

2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Great diagram George. CQ VE3INB de N1NH !! For those of you who only have one cable from outside to inside, consider an A/B Switch. Switch to A if using cable input and to B if using Satelite input. Wire the output of the switch accordingly.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

With my 35RL, I found out that, yes, the outside connections for cable and satellite terminate at the entertaiment center. However, I have two connections on the plate for the sat. One is from the outside, the other one goes to the bedroom. In there, thereare also two connections. One the TV was already wired to(cable/ant) and the other is from the entertainment center(sat). This all was figured out by trial and error. So.... if you want to watch sat TV in the LV, you attach your receiver there and life is good. If you want to watch sat TV in the BR, you have a couple of choices. The one I've tested so far that works is you move the sat receiver to the bed room, attach to the sat connector, go back to the LV and put a jumper coax between the two connectors on the sat plate. That routes the sat signal to the bedrrom. Now, I guess you could get a splitter and send the output of the sat receiver to both the LV and the BR but then the receiver will be in the wrong room for the remote to work...half the time.

Well, that's what I've found out. Not sure if I understand why the engineers did it that way but that's the way it is in mine. I'm curious what others have and think about this.

Craig

2011 35RL

2011 F350
casmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by casmith
With my 35RL, I found out that, yes, the outside connections for cable and satellite terminate at the entertaiment center. However, I have two connections on the plate for the sat. One is from the outside, the other one goes to the bedroom. In there, thereare also two connections. One the TV was already wired to(cable/ant) and the other is from the entertainment center(sat). This all was figured out by trial and error. So.... if you want to watch sat TV in the LV, you attach your receiver there and life is good. If you want to watch sat TV in the BR, you have a couple of choices. The one I've tested so far that works is you move the sat receiver to the bed room, attach to the sat connector, go back to the LV and put a jumper coax between the two connectors on the sat plate. That routes the sat signal to the bedrrom. Now, I guess you could get a splitter and send the output of the sat receiver to both the LV and the BR but then the receiver will be in the wrong room for the remote to work...half the time.

Well, that's what I've found out. Not sure if I understand why the engineers did it that way but that's the way it is in mine. I'm curious what others have and think about this.

Craig

2011 35RL

2011 F350

Craig,

Your set up would work perfectly for a Dish Network receiver. Dish Network has what they call a "Duo" receiver. It has an output that you would connect to the bedroom side in the entertainment area and then you just have a seperate remote for the bedroom that works on radio frequency, not IR, so you can change the channel in the bedroom without going out to the living area.

I have this"Duo"receiver and it works great for the setup that you have. I had to mod my trailer to the same setup as you have to accomplish this. But we love it because my daughter can watch the TV in the living area, and we can watch a different channel in the bedroom at the same time.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote