Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 08:58 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Satellite receiver's

Which brand of satellite receiver would you suggest?
I'd like a portable one as I don't want anything mounted to TT.
We have Direct TV service at the house as we've just gotten it to replace cable.
Was told we could take one of the box's along camping to get satellite reception.
So does one brand receiver work better with direct tv?
hvnbnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:40 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I had Direct but don't think there's much difference except who has the best introductory deal. I would suggest something that automatically finds the sat. Maybe it's just me but I could never manually find it, even with various gadgets. I really liked just pushing a button for reception. Others obviously have more finesse and patience than I do because some campers actually do manage with a manual dish on a stick.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:03 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I've been with DirecTV forever. Yes, you can take your receiver with you. It is possible that you can travel far enough from home that local channels will not come in. In that case, use the OTA antenna or camp cable if you need to see the actual local channels. I use a manually pointed tripod-mounted dish. The key to aiming is patience and little adjustments. Of course if your budget allows, the automatic units are fantastic. Find an open spot, snake the cables back to the camper, plug it in and hit a button. In a couple of minutes, you are ready to go.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have a traveler carryout model. It is dome shaped and you plug into 12 volt and automatically finds the sattelite. Been a very good unit for the last 8 years. We have direct TV also.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I use to use a satellite reciever and I had Direct tv. I don't worry with it anymore. I use to drive my wife crazy with the beep beep beep beep trying to find the satellite. I had an extra dish on a tripod. There is a site I uses to know the direction and angle to point the dish. There's a free app now; Dish align or satellite locater. But if I was going to do it again I would spend the extra cash and get an automatic one.
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

This used to be a lot easier before high-def TV. With a cheap portable dish and a compass, you could take one of your receivers from home and get your content on the road. It was easy. But now your HD receiver from home won't work with the cheaper satellite dishes. You need an HD dish and they aren't as simple to aim. The self-aiming dishes are a lot more expensive.

We've been having fun with our OTA antenna. It's fun to see what channels we can pull in and we've been having fun watching the local stuff from other markets as we travel.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have an auto dish on the roof but still carry the little dome . When parked in trees the expensive roof model will not work