Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

satellite/TV hookup questions Part 2

I can't seem to pick up a satellite picture through the built in satellite coax on my 270bh. I tried both of the external jacks (Why Crossroads can't out a simple "S" and "C" on these is beyond me) and turned the antenna booster off. No signal. I disconnected the antennae from the TV and tried both jacks again with the booster off, no signal.
I know that the cable jack works since I used it the first night I had the trailer but not since. I've never connected the satellite until this weekend.
When I disconnect the satellite dish feed coax from the trailer and run it directly to the dish receiver box connected to the inside TV via HDMI it picked up the signal and worked fine.
Am I missing something? Is there any way to test the satellite coax line? Does the length of coax line degrade the signal? I had 50 ft from the dish to the trailer, and another 50 ft coiled up between the internal satellite feed above the TV to the receiver inside the trailer.
Does Crossroads have a standard for the external jacks, i.e. left is cable, right is satellite?
Is it possible the satellite cable inside the trailer from external jack to above the TV is broken? The message was "complete loss of signal, check connections." How do I test this?
Old 10-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

When I first got my rig the sat cable from the outside to the junction box in the ent center was broken (fixed under warranty). Not sure where the break was but check the connections that you can get to. If you have a continuity tester and some pieces of wire you can check the continuity. My box does have a SAT and Cable indication but both are white and hard to see. I don't think you have too much wire. It would take quite a bit more than that to degrade the signal.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Stan. Do you know if there is anything spliced into the satellite cable line? It seems so simple-single coax line with an input and output, hard to see what could go wrong.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish58 View Post
I can't seem to pick up a satellite picture through the built in satellite coax on my 270bh. I tried both of the external jacks (Why Crossroads can't out a simple "S" and "C" on these is beyond me) and turned the antenna booster off. No signal. I disconnected the antennae from the TV and tried both jacks again with the booster off, no signal.
I know that the cable jack works since I used it the first night I had the trailer but not since. I've never connected the satellite until this weekend.
When I disconnect the satellite dish feed coax from the trailer and run it directly to the dish receiver box connected to the inside TV via HDMI it picked up the signal and worked fine.
Am I missing something? Is there any way to test the satellite coax line? Does the length of coax line degrade the signal? I had 50 ft from the dish to the trailer, and another 50 ft coiled up between the internal satellite feed above the TV to the receiver inside the trailer.
Does Crossroads have a standard for the external jacks, i.e. left is cable, right is satellite?
Is it possible the satellite cable inside the trailer from external jack to above the TV is broken? The message was "complete loss of signal, check connections." How do I test this?
I cannot get mine to work through the satellite hook up on the back of the camper either. I have a 2014 32 BH cables on the left which I have used in the sunlight on the right.

Where it comes in over the TV I removed the cover and tightened up the RG6 cable to the back of plate. On the rear of the camper I then cut away the silicone and removed the cable and RG6 (on right) plate. Once removed I noticed the RG 6 cable was not tightened but it still does not work. I then noticed it was not an RG6 connector but a tv connector. I plan on buying one tomorrow to try again. I will let you know but hopefully that is the fix
onlywvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

By the way I added a 3 foot RG6 cable from the satellite plate in camper to the receiver where it comes in over the TV. I know regular cable will not run the king tailgater.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Thanks WVU, keep me posted. So the satellite cable in the trailer is in fact RG6?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I'm pretty sure it is RG6, at least it is on my older rig. Not sure just the connector would stop the signal unless it wasn't making contact for some reason. Not sure about the splice. Some have said the satellite cable also goes to the outside coax connector by the front door or storage area so it may be spliced somewhere.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

On the rear of my new trailer, the connection input in the rear of the trailer on the right is for satellite. The open connection above the tv, i ran a coax to the Dish receiver. I haven't figured out how to get the regular cable to work though at a campsite that offers it. I only tried it once and I'll try again later this week. I think I may not have turned off the antenna booster.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Steve, when using cable you want to leave the booster off. The booster is for Over-the-air signals only.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Just tried the new connector between the satellite cable and the rear connection point for satellite and no signal
Old 10-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I called King tailgater and they said you cannot have a splitter. Since I have three TVs that is the problem it is prewired and each have a splitter in the wall somewhere.

I used a piece RG6 and a connector from my receiver to the satellite dish and it works so that means you will have to establish a connection through the camper somehow to each receiver. To my main TV above the bed and also in the rear bunkhouse tv, let me know if anyone has any great ideas on how to do this. I am thinking I have a connection point from under the camper through the wall somehow
Old 10-07-2015, 05:53 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I had this problem with my Seville, the way I finally solved it was to measure the voltage coming out of the receiver. The system needs 18 volts DC to operate. Put a short cable on the receiver and using a multi meter selection on dc volts and measure the volts coming out of the receiver.One probe on the cable in the centre and the other on the ground on the outside of the cable. If you get 18 volts continue hooking up your cables and measure each one as you get to the final one at the satellite coming in. If at any time you don't get 18 volts,the problem will be in the previous cable or connection. I hope this helps.
Finlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:59 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks, that does help I knew it had to be a voltage problem
Old 10-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Happy to help.....Later......Cheers
Finlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

A friend of mine has a 27 BH and he cannot get a satellite signal off the rear RG six connector either like me on my 32bh. Does anyone with a Sunset Trail of any kind able to get a satellite signal?
Old 10-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #16
New Camper

I have a 250RB Sunset Trail with a King Dome Dish Tailgater. I can run my satellite hookup using the left connector on the back of my trailer with a 25ft cable. If I try to use a 50ft cable it will not work. The 50ft cable is good because I can direct connect it to the receiver and it works. My guess is it's a cable length problem with the Tailgater. I tried calling Dish but they were no help. Didn't try calling King.
jdg369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Here's an update of what I've found out so far. I contacted Crossroads and Rodney Jackson, their retail services rep, sent me the schematic drawing of the cabling for Sunset Trail. It shows a dedicated satellite line from rear of trailer to the inside TV cabinet outlet marked satellite. The other cable outlet has a splitter to the outside cable jack and to the bedroom if applicable, in addition to the TV cabinet.
I downloaded a copy of this schematic on the documents page. Rodney also noted that it "should be" RG6, which is required for the Tailgater and I believe most satellite systems.
The schematic shows the cable hookup on the left, the satellite on the right. Jim, can you connect the Tailgater on the right hookup?
While I haven't tested yet, I think my earlier issue was the non-RG6 cable connection I had between the tv and the receiver inside the trailer. The Dish for my RV site says the receiver can use up to 200 ft of RG6 line, and a splitter should not be used, so all should work IF the info I've received from Crossroads is correct.
It is good to know that Jim has his Tailgater working using the built in wiring. I'll report back in a few weeks when I have a chance to get to my trailer.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

To Update: The Dish Tailgater worked fine on my trailer this weekend. I used the 50 foot RG6 cable supplied with the dish connected to the right outside satellite cable hookup on the trailer, as drawn on the Crossroads schematic. Inside the trailer, I used a shorter 6 foot RG6 to connect from the outlet to the receiver. HDMI to TV.

I think my issue earlier was using a too long or non RG6 cable inside the trailer.