Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

satellite/TV questions

I'm considering getting a Dish Tailgater this weekend and have a few questions.

For those of you with their interior TV on a living room/bedroom swivel like I have in my 270, how do you remove the TV to access the cabling? Does it lift out, or do I need to remove a panel?

What is the best way to get satellite to the outside TV? Do I need two receivers to have satellite to both inside and to the outside TV? Another way to put is if I have the receiver set up for the inside TV is there an easy way to connect that signal to the outside TV without removing and reconnecting the receiver outside?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Not sure about removal of the TV. For the cable, I believe all the interior cable is connected together (spliced) after the booster. That's how it is in my older rig. So what I did, was to splice the coax AFTER the booster and ran a sat cable from the receiver output to this splice. That gets me sat signal to the bedroom and outside coax connector. My sat receiver has two outputs (HD and SD) so it was easier for me. Not sure how many outputs the Tailgater has. The HD signal goes to the liv room TV and SD goes to the bedroom and outside. Just don't turn on the booster when watching sat.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Kingfish58,
I have the swivel tv with two cabinets above it on my ST26RB. I placed the dish receiver in that cabinet on an angle with wood I cut out to anchor it to. To run he HD to the tv connction, I removed the panel behind the tv. It has six screws holding the panel. This lets you get to the mounting bracket. It was difficult, but I managed to plug in my HD cable this way. It was on the left side of my insignia tv. That's the left side as you are standing in front of the tv looking at it. If you have the cabinet above, you can run the HD cable through the same hold above the tv that cable are already running through.

As far as the outside connection, I'm not sure how that works yet. I think you would need another receiver for Dish. I was told that the second outside cable connection goes to that outside tv but have not confirmed that. I do know that King Tailgater 2 works well, and it has two cable connections if you need them.

If you don't have any cabinets above your tv, you can possibly mount the satellite receiver below the tv with some modification. My friend did this and it looks good.

On a similar note, I have a question. Does anyone know how to connect to cable at a campsite that offers cable tv? I tried, change my input on my tv, as well as switched the cable from the "antenna" to the "cable in" connection but got nothing.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Steve, when I hook to cable, I go to the antenna booster that is located behind the main TV and turn it off via the small switch on the booster. This is a must-do or you will not get a decent signal - if your RV is like mine.
The red LED goes out and then I start the channel search on the TVs. My RV has two outside connections, one for cable and one for satellite. Make sure which is which - mine were not initially labeled and when I connected cable to the satellite connection I had the same result as you!

Kingfish, my main TV has a small ball-chain hanging down to unlatch the TV so it extends and swivels. The ball chain mounts to a release tab, in case you do not see a chain you should have a release mechanism - unless it is a fixed mount.
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Denviola, thanks for the info. I know which one is satellite so the other must be cable. I'll give it a try.

Kingfish, sorry to hijack your thread. Wasn't intentional. I hope you got your answers also.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:42 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

@kingfish58 I don't have a satellite dish, yet, but do have the TV that swivels, on the backside of the TV, there is a mirror mounted on hinges that opens to reveal the cables and mount.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Many thanks for all the replies, this will be very helpful.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Kingfish if you are near Beaux Bridge next week end I will show you how we set up ours. Great group of folks there on our twice a year get together. My bride is a football nut and we do not leave home with out it
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Fhenn, I'd like to make the Breaux Bridge gathering but this weekend will be my only opportunity to camp this month.

And yes, football is driving this purchase! The LSU nation is feeling with might be seeing something special with Leonard Fournette.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Just to follow up, I'm camping now and can watch the tv outside with a direct connection between the receiver and tv. Nice hd picture. I have been unable to connect to the inside tv using the satellite input.
Is there a way to check if the built in satellite coax connection works?
Yes, I turned the antennae booster off.
Steve, the back of my tv had the 4 screws, thanks.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Where does that outside connection with a tv mount go? I hooked up a outside antenna to the connection on the back cause my omni antenna don't work good.
Southaven Ms.
gsbuick65 is offline   Reply With Quote