Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

If I geta DirecTV dish can I wire the RV to receive the signal in all three antenna jacks? Here's my idea: Dish to "SAT" connection. Inside the coach I loop a small piece of coax from a splitter connected to the incoming SAT jack to the standard antenna jack. In theory would I not be able to connect a DirecTV receiver to the existing antenna jacks at the other antenna sockets?

Second question: Since I am not considering an expensive sat dish I am looking at alternatives such as a DirecTV HDTV dish on a tripod. Any thoughts?

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Im not an expert but have looked at many forums trying to figure this out myself.

As far as I can tell, your theory about the jumper cable will not/should not work, atleast not the way that I think your saying, (by just jumping the main sat plate to the ant. plate on the outside, not inside the wall). The reason is the satellite signal wont go through the antenna boosters in the trailer no matter if they are turned on or off. It has something to do with the booster not allowing the type of signal thatany sat.dish puts out. I think it is because the ohms are higher with the sat. signalthan what the booster will let through.

I have a theory about it myself. It goes like this: the ant. plate in the trailer entertainment centerhas all the wires for the trailer in one place.

Take a jumper wire behind the plates and just jumper the satellite signal into adiplexer, then bypass the ant outputs by drilling your existing wall plateand adding another output (labeled sat out) to the plate in the bedroom. I havent figured out what to do about the outside jack yet (but Im thinking since there isnt an ant. booster switch outside the trailer that it is just a sort of piggyback off the main ant. inside the entertainment center in the living room area. So I dont know what to do about the outside jack, yet, but you can probably do the same for the outside jack as I am going to explain for the bedroom jack.

Anyways, take the sat. output on the back of the sat. wall plate and add a splitter, 1 goes back to the sat. wall plate for the entertainment center sat feed. Then take the second sat. output off the splitter and run a wire over to the ant wall plate and cut the ant feed wire to the bedroom area add adiplexer (this is different from a splitter it is a splitter of sorts that will have 1 side which is either an input or output with 1 place to screw the cable onto, and the other side which has 2 places to screw the cable onto that are different;2 input/outputs on the other side, 1 carries the 75 ohm ant. signal,and then the other carries a sat. signal)and attach the ant wire and the sat wire to the bedroom feed wire after the booster using the diplexer. (this way you are only using the feed wire for both signals but only 1 signal at a timewill be used and you dont have to run a new wire this way) Then reattach the output that is 75 ohms back to the ant wall plate that feeds the bedroom the ant. signal.

Then in the bedroom cut the wire andadd anotherdiplexer off the cable coming in the opposite way that you did in the entertainment center with the cable cut put the 1 cable from the entertainment are coming in,into the side of the diplexer that has 1 input/ then on the other side 1 wire will go back to the ant feed wall plate in thebedroom,the other wire will go to a new output feed that you add to the wall plate and label that feed, sat out.

With this setup though you will need a sat box at each output to hook to the sat output and then to the TV. This only brings in the sat signal directly from the satellite dish itself. So you need a box at each output.

I havent taken the wall plates off myself yet but will do so in the spring when it is warm enough to open the slide.

But from what I have read online, the main wall plate for the ant. in the entertainment center has all the cables for the whole system wired into the back of it. That is, the bedroom and outside cables come to that 1 wall plate and all branch off from there taking the ant. signal from that 1 central point. So if you could open up the back, and see the wires, somehow you could possibly jump them that way and get the results that you want.

I know I am going to be doing some mods on this myself in a month or sooner if it warms up.

Hope this helps

BrianEdited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I tried to read all this and understand,but I'm to old I guess. I do know that the deal with the Sat. signal going thru the ant booster, is only when you try to hookup the dish to the Ant. jack outside than thru the receiver to the TV. I think what is said is the receiver used a voltage that can't get to the dish. Anyway I have done this different ways and it worked.I have taped into the coax of the Ant. and put the receiver before the booster and that put the receiver to every room just like cable being hooked up.I am now using a transmitter and receiver setup in this camper to transmitt from my living TV to the bedroom TV.For me on this camper this was the easy way to go.But if you want to check out the way I did before, go to the winegard web site and you can find it under the questions and answers.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:18 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The short answer is "NOPE!". I've attached a drawing that shows how I've connected my satellite and Batwing systems as well as the radio.

Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:02 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I think the first issue will be that the antenna is RG58 and the satellite is RG6.

If you are doing 2 receivers (or more) than you typically split at the LNB with multiple cables.

If you are doing a single receiver here is a trick (though not HD). Take the satelilite into the receiver, the receiver usually has a composite out (RF) you can attach cable/antenna to here (I would do an A/B switch to select between the receiver RF output or the Cable/Air output, would add protection to the receiver circuits, don't know how they would react to the booster and other issues). Now you have a single receiver putting out to the main TV (at high quality) and the other TVs (at medium/good quality). You can get an Remote repeater to allow you to use the remote in the other rooms.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB1965
I have taped into the coax of the Ant. and put the receiver before the booster and that put the receiver to every room just like cable being hooked up.

This is similar to what I tried to explain above, and is probably easier. I hve a special situation though as I have dish and my receiver is a duo receiver, that is, I can have two TV's hooked to the receiver and still be able to watch 2 different channels at the same time on the two different TV's.

So I tried to explain what I felt may work for all situations.Edited by: fixit5561

Old 02-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Here is a useful linkon how to rewire the antenna booster wallplate to be able to allow satellite to pass through:

http://www.flamingsquid.com/images/satellite_rewire.pdf

I did this and run two coaxes from my dish to my trailer... one to the "cable in" and one to the "satellite in". The dish will allow up to 4 connections. At the living room wallplate the "satellite in" is then connected directly to the bedroomcoax so it never passes through a splitter.

This is a solution for being able to run two boxes in your trailer but not sure how you'd run three unless youallow forthree coax runs from the dish orget your original question answered about using a splitter or multiswitch.Edited by: TF36DSMatt
TF36DSMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I don't have HD on my camper TV.I did buy an HD dish,but it was the standard dish and mount and was heavy and large.The mount I tried was a roof mount tripod,but the whole thing was top heavy in the wind, so I have just stayed with the small dish.If I can find a small dish with the HD feed horn I may try that way someday.Anyway we are fine with no HD after all when camping ,you need some roughness to make home feel better.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

The Kingstons have a separate satellite feed. This assumes that you have a single cable feed. Do Cruisers have 2 separate feeds, or a single?

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Yes my 04 cruiser has two seperate feeds one sat. the other cable.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Our 2010 Cruiser has two feeds. The two feeds are the reason I asked the original question on this thread. So far it looks doable but a little effort must be put forth.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Ok on a cruiser where is the 2nd feed found on the exterior for the sat. I see what I think is the outside cable feed right by the entry door but that's is all I find.

Is there 3 outputs? Main tv, bedroom and ?

Thanks

2005 Cruiser CF29CK 3 slides

19.5 ft Glastron SX IO Boat

Tow Both
gbontrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

The cable outlet that is by your door is probably to hook up a tv outside your RV.

My sat. feed and cable feed were under the same plate on the right side rear of the trailer. I had to bend down and look up to see the second input.

Also in my trailer all the cabling inside the walls is RG-6 that is for everything, cable, ant. and sat.Edited by: fixit5561

Old 05-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbontrag
Ok on a cruiser where is the 2nd feed found on the exterior for the sat. I see what I think is the outside cable feed right by the entry door but that's is all I find.

Is there 3 outputs? Main tv, bedroom and ?

Thanks

Yes there are three outputs on my 04 cruiser. Main TV, Bedroom, and that outside outlet by the door. The bedroom and outside outletare connected with a splitter inside the wall, by the ant booster. Edited by: fixit5561

Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Ok going to look for the outside hookups. Nothing I find in the books about the location. I feel stupid that Ihave not found the connections and have hadthe 5er since it was new.

You learn something new all the time.

Thanks

Tow Both
Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Well I found them all. Didn't think but they used the same covers as the outside 110 plugs.

Good to go now

Tow Both