Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has any one ever changed the seals on a dometic refridgerator door. I am pretty sure that this is my problem, after doing the dollar bill trick. I am curious if it is a difficult jobb or something that I can just do my self. I already called Dometic and they told me that the seals are about $150 dollars including the shipping cost.

I hope someone can answer this time. It seems that the questions I ask I either get one answer or none.

I don't want to get a complex.....

2017 Thor Windsport
36' Motorhome
Pulling 2018 Ford Flex
usolm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Hi there folks, I noticed that I didn;t get any responce yet, if you dont know the answer does anyone know where I can go to such as another forum to get the answer. The dealers around here only want to install so they can make the money. I asked the dometic parts guy and he told me they come with directions.

I'm getting sour milk..... Please help.

2017 Thor Windsport
36' Motorhome
Pulling 2018 Ford Flex
Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Lou, I have no experience with the door seals. But you might try RV.net. They have a pretty big following.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Thats what I was going to suggest,...rvnet.com...But it shouldnt be that hard to do, look at the way the old one is attached ...do you have condensation prob are cooling prob?...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I have done home fridges and it's not that hard. What surprises me is the cost of the seal....$150 seems like a lot. I would shop around and talk to a few local dealers for their opinion. For THAT much money I would also be absolutely sure the seals are the culprit (this is the first time I have heard of an RV seal problem after only 3-4 years). Are your sure it is not the door that is out of alignment...or the latch?

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Lou, I've replaced home frig seals as well and they are not hard. I was curious so I went out to look at mine, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the seal off without removing the door and taking the front panel off first (the panel slides up, but I don't have enough clearance to take it all the way off). I expected to find either a track that the seal fit into or screwsunder it that hold it in place, but found neither.Home seals can run close to $100 for just a lower seal, so the $150 doesn't shock me too much, although I agree with Stan...shop around some.

Since the seal is basically a magnet, if it comes close to the frame, it should grab hold. I would check the alignment before shelling out on a new seal. One of the Google searches I did talked about the hinge should lift the door slightly up when opening (to help in closing it). If it didn't, then the hinge could be out of alignment or worn out.

Sorry that I can't offer more. Good luck!

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thank you for all your assistance. I will double check the hinges and the door allignment first. I also thought that the seals were a bit too much money, thats why I came on to the forum, I have the good sam extended plan and they weill cove the fridge, but it does not cove seals. I was told to check them first. The problem I am getting is that the temp in the fridge is boarder line between cold and spoilage. I can put a half gallon of milk in the fridge on friday and by sunday it is sour. I got suspicious so I started to investigate.

2017 Thor Windsport
36' Motorhome
Pulling 2018 Ford Flex
Old 06-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Do you know what temperature the fridge is holding? It should be about 40 degrees in the refer section. It might be that it isn't the seals but rather a bad thermistor or something in the fridge other than the seals.

Are you getting a lot of frost in the refer section? Is the freezer getting a lot of frost?

jeb is offline   Reply With Quote