Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Loaded up and went out to the local state park for the weekend. Just the 3 of us, time to re-connect.

When we got set up and I got the outside done I went in and noticed the DW had both AC's going. I scratched my head. This is a Texas State Park with only 30A hookups. My trailer is wired for 50A service but I have an adapter to 30A plus a 30A extension for just this type of situation. I had never tried the second AC on 30A. This is our second time out in the new trailer so still learning. The dealer installed one of the new Penguin II AC's in the bedroom before we picked it up, part of the deal, to supplement the main AC for the Texas heat.

It was abt 95 when we got here and peaked at 103. Both AC's chugged along all afternoon and the trailer stayed at 77-78.

Not complaining mind you just real surprised. I was careful to not run any other high current items, IE microwave, water heater on AC etc, but the TV has been on and a couple of fans.

Evidently the second AC is a high efficiency type and both can run off a 30A circuit. Gotta love it when you get a surprise like this. That means my 4500w generator MAY run both.....

Any thoughts???
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Is there a power switching device on board? I have a Powerline Energy Saving device on my MH that was standard equipment. If there is only a 30 amp shore power connection I can run both a/c however it will allot the power in the coach.

Which of the 94 beautiful TX state parks are you visiting?

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Purtis Creek

I don't think there is a power switching device, just the normal RV setup, battery and converter. It surprised me.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I guess it cold be done but the problem is the biggest draw on amps is when the compressor starts up. If both are running and does not cycle causing the demand on amps I could see it would not cause the breaker to pop. But my big concern would be the voltage drop as you tried to draw that much power. That in is self can cause lots of damage to the AC units.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I was so surprised I forgot to check the voltage, good point. I did check the power cord several times and although warm it was not hot. At least not much more than the 104 yesterday....

Confirms my next purchase of a Surge Suppressor.