Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Being a camper for only about 1 1/2 years and only logged about 6000 miles I have concerns about security while in the campgrounds. Although I have not had any problems, I have notice some folks have everything locked up (bikes, chairs, grills, etc.) and then some leave everything just sitting around. I sure it depends on the campground that you may be in like a state park or a private one. Another thing or rumor that I have heard is folks like us while camping have hadbad guys come into the parks and make trouble for some folks. It has been suggested to me to carry a weapon of some type. I did have a minor problem in a large city in SD last summer where some rough looking guys flagged me down near a city camp ground and was begging for money. I just moved on with no problem be it made me start thinking whatIF.?????????? Later that day I setup camp at a state park and there was no security and very few campers at this park. With all of my family sitting aroundthe campfire at dusk, I started to look around and thenearest camper was 300 yards away. Again here Iam now thinking what IF????????? Since then I have purchased a weapon, got my CCW and have been to the shooting range several times, and have been reading a lot about people and weapons. Looking for input from you seasoned campers on these matters. Thanks in advance Robbie
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

We live in western Colorado and have been camping for over 30 years. Many of those years we really didn't go more than a few days at a time. I don't think you will see security people at most camp grounds. The state parks, national parks etc don't have any other than park rangers. Be aware of what and who are around the camp grounds. I haven't heard of any problems in our area and we do camp in some isolated areas. We like it when the other campers are 300 yards away. We have been in camp grounds with no one around. We went jeeping and had some one put their tent next to our trailer. We thought they were from the city and wanted to be close for security!???

Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I've been camping for 30+ years. Â*Stayed in just about every kind of campground from public to private, from remote and isolated to crowded and packed. Â*I'm one to leave without securing every thing outside the trailer. Â*Honestly, if I felt I needed to I would move on to a campground I felt more comfortable in. Â*In my experience it is the crowded and packed campgrounds that give me pause for concern. Â*

I own guns and I'm an avid hunter. Â*But I'm never a fan of carrying weapons with the idea of protecting myself or my family. Â*Children gaining access to the weapon and shooting someone, domestic disputes using the weapons and accidental discharges all discourage me. Â*I know we're all sure it will never happen to us, but so did most of the people involved in incidents like these. I don't recall a story from the NRA telling of a camper using force to protect him/herself. Â*If I feel I need a weapon to protect myself or my family it will time to find a new way to travel.

As an insurance agent I have only had one claim since 1971 where something was stolen from a campsite in a campground. Â*This is not to be confused with someone who parks a trailer on their remote property. Â*These are targets for breakins

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

You have to decide on conceal carry. If you have children and you don't want weapons in the home, the camper isn't any different. If you have weapons at home, I would think a conceal carry is fine and I would carry camping. How many people are packing that haven't had the training that conceal carry permits require??
When seconds count and police are minutes away at best, you decide!!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:30 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Pretty much same as everyone else, 30+ years & have never had a problem & really don't worry about it. But that's Me.

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

It's more dangerous driving to the campground than camping. More people die from falls than shootings!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

i don't have the same amount of camping experience as the previous posters (thats because they are all old) but we camp at alot of county campgrounds and they have a good county park police presence. i've never felt threatened at a campground if i were to feal uneasy i just would'nt bring my family there. that being said if your compotent and can carry legally, i dont see anything wrong with that andi would'nt have a problem with it. btw i am one of those that cable locks my bikes and i put my bbq back in the pac&play because of kids that roam while mom and dad are getting sauced up. i put my chairs in my pick up so they are dry for my early morning coffee.

-ed

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I always have one with me, I used to carry a 9mm but now have a 40cal that is small enough to carry and I do have a permit. It is just reassuring that it is there if needed. I don't think its for every one but it is your right as an American !
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I have always treated camping and campgrounds the same as any other location. Try to stay aware of what's going on around me and possible adverse situations. In 30 years I've never had an issue. Bad things can happen anywhere. Just be prepared.

I travel well armed but I feel it's really a serious choice as to whether someone else chooses to do so or not.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

While I understand your need to feel secure and handgun may give you that feeling, here in Canada, a Louisville Slugger will do just as well and it's legal. If you ever decide to visit Canada, leave you handgun(s) at home, because if found by our police, you will be arrested and your handgun(s) will become part of a new car. Instead, drop in to your neighbourhood sports store where you bought your handgun(s) and buy a stout Louisville Slugger and a baseball. It will serve two purposes. You can legally use it for your personal protection, if the need should arise, whichis highly unlikely and you can use it to do a little batting practice with your kids.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

The gun laws in Canada are the reason I'm not going to Canada. Have the criminals turned in their handguns? Have the "rural" parts of Canada turned in there handguns? Probably not, and I don't believe the laws are being enforced out there either. I won't come to Canada to hunt either.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Maybe we could keep the original post in mind when we reply. The Louisville Slugger option is as valid as concealed carry, and he has a point for Canada. I laughed at the tongue in cheek response.

Can we keep this away from aright to bear armsdebate?

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:43 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

I don't have as many years camping as mostof the others that have posted, but I have never had anyproblems. I think that forums like this one and campground guide books/ratings help us find the right places to stay. I don't carry buthave no problem with others that choose to exercise that right. Protectionfor me is myyellow lab to warnmeand a Cleveland pitching wedgeby the bed(Gottatravel with thewedge and my shag-bag....there's always an open field around to pitch balls).

I agree with Al....the second I feel unsafe or feel likeI have put my family in harms way is the second I find a new way for us to travel and spend time together. In the mean time, camping remains the GREATEST way for us to escape and spend loadsof quality time together.

Reading the posts of the guys that haved logged 30+ years has made me feel pretty good. Robbie, thanks for thetopic...Camping, like everything in life,is not exempt from the "What IFS"!

2003 F250 PSD

Central Jersey
JerseyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:14 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa2
Maybe we could keep the original post in mind when we reply. The Louisville Slugger option is as valid as concealed carry, and he has a point for Canada. I laughed at the tongue in cheek response.

Can we keep this away from aright to bear armsdebate?

I guess I did usea little sarcasim.Sorry! Idid not intend to start a"right to bear arms" debate. I was trying show that not all countries allow handguns for personal use and Canada happens to be one. Anyone who doesn't wish to visit Canada because they can't bring along their handgun has made their choice and I have no intention of changing it.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:25 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I for one will always have one available,

Never bring a knife (ballbat) to a gun fight

I have heard of a lot of criminals on the run staying in campgrounds, Never seen them and hope i never do, But the minute they try to harm my famaily some one will be going to the morg.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all of your replys as they do help us rookies keep in touch with the real world. One thing I would mention about having a CCW is the legal stuff that comes along with the permit. All thou mine is good in 37 states, each state has different rules that you must comply with. In all of the classes that I have taken, they say your best defense is to leave the area if possible and the last thing to do isdraw your weapon. I have purchased a lock box for my equipment that can be opened in 2 to 3 seconds,(if you know the comb)and have screwed it to the floor. We live in rual NW Mo. and my kids will be moving from LA to PIT this summer so we will be taking the trailer out west to help them. Our plan is to tour the NW states on our way to PIT. Hope fuel stays down as we will be traveling about 7000 miles on this trip. Again thanks everyone for your input. Robbie
Old 03-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Have fun on your trip!! Come visit Michigan on your way through!

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

I'll be carrying this year for long remote trips that we take. I decided that after sitting on the I in the middle of noplace SD for 3 hours with no cell service lastyear my .40 would be better defense than a pop can, should some dirt bags come about.

I did not feel comfortable with my family in the truck and people slowly driving by and no protection. I had thoughts about someone or someones stopping and asking for money, jewlrey, gps, flat screen in trailer, truck wheels, etc. I made sure not share these thoughts with DW.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustman
The gun laws in Canada are the reason I'm not going to Canada. Have the criminals turned in their handguns? Have the "rural" parts of Canada turned in there handguns? Probably not, and I don't believe the laws are being enforced out there either. I won't come to Canada to hunt either.

Where you choose to hunt is up to you. Both countries offer some amazing places to go, each different in its own way.

I just wanted to clarify something though. I have a 12 ga shotgun, 2 rifles and a .45 pistol. All are legal, all are registered. I can take the shotgun and rifles pretty much anywhere, but the handgun has to be either on my way to the shooting range, or on my way home. Trigger lock on, in a locked case seperate from the ammo. Definitely no concealed carry. The idea of being able to carry appeals to me, but then I think of all the other people that could get that permit......

And I come from a "rural" home, and there are 5 rifles, 2 shotguns and 2 handgunsthere, legally.

Travelling in Canada without a weapon is not dangerous. I have never been in a situation where I wished I had one of my guns to protect myself or my family.

I hope I did not stir the pot up here or offend anyone, as that is not what I was trying to do. Just wanted to clarify that we are allowed to have guns, we just have different rules.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

lenny, sounds like Canada rules are like the state of Ill. No con. carry and you must do about the same thing when going thru Ill.or move it to your trailer. I think the info that you gave us will help all of us as we travel to or thru Canada. I think these forum are great and they give us a wide range of info and experience from across the countries.It appears that pulling that trailer is the best way to see the world as we all want the same thing. I am a retired airline empolyee, and have spent many hours flying around the world but no more airlplanes, as the camper is the way to go. Robbie