Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have purchased a 2006 CR30QB and are happy with our purchase, except for one thing. The previous owner took almost all the extras that are needed to use the camper. I know we need things like the sewer kit. But what else should I get. I would love to see a list of what every camper should have. We were thinking of taking a trip to Camping World to get everything. I know they can be pricey, but everything under one roof sounds nice. As you can tell we are new to this and can use your help. Thank you!!
trevordog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have two water hoses plus a pressure regulator, Beer and cooler, black water hose for flushing the tanks, several sewer hoses (differing lengths) plus multiple configurations of hook-up connectors, stinky slinky to get slope on the sewer hose (plus Velcro strips to hold the hose in place), Beer, 50' of coax cable, leveling blocks, boards; chocks, flat tire tools, bubble level on the pinbox, Beer, large door mat, chairs. This is just the bare minimum for outside set-up. The amount you take will be determined after a few campouts. Welcome aboard!
and don't forget the Beer.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Everything that Stan said is a good start. All of that stuff can be found in the RV section at Walmart for much less than the prices at Camping World. Have fun.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:45 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
I recently added a 30 foot extension for the shore power cord. Got it for $40 at Walmart. Also would add to the list wheel chocks, leveling blocks (I use lynx, but there are others.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

The list you'll need to develop over time as it's purely a personal choice for how you want to set-up and the camping type you do. Plates, Grills, Bed linens, that's up to you Some basics are:

2 x 25ft white water hoses
(1) extra garden hose for your black tank flush
Various blocks of wood for trailer leveling. I carry both wood and the plastic squares from CW. For wood I carry 2x6's for tire leveling, and 4x4 for jack leveling.
(1) extra 30AMP extension cord
In-line Water filter
Water Pressure Regulator
Awning Hook
A basic tool Box ( I purchased one from True Value that has all the basics, including Torx and Allen Keys)
A Stabilizer jack Crank
Wheel Chocks ( I suggest the BAL X type that goes between the wheels) One for each tire
Proper TP
Fun

The rest will evolve over time. Keeping a list inside your unit and adding things as you see fit will make for convenience when you go out to the stores.

Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:27 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

To help with sanitation when messing with the dumping chores. Box of latex gloves, paper towel holder in storage area by outdoor shower, small bottle of dish soap in same area. Always be careful of cross contamination when handling Stinky slinky and water hoses. That's why Stan and Salda01 have recommend a black water hose. Any color garden hose other than the white potable hoses. Use the "black" hose when washing the camper or any other use other than potable. Study up on the black tank as you have many choices of chemicals to use or you can use the alternateGeo-Method. But mainly the dumping sequence and always keeping the blank tank closed when at full hook-up campsites and dumping with at least 3/4 full.

Awning lights, awning strap kit, awning deflappers, bag chairs,barbecue grill, bug spray and thermo-cells, campfiresupplies, hatchet, camper toolkit,pop-upcanopy, outdoor fan, picnictablecloths,extra extension cord,small step ladder or collapsible ladder, broom, dustpan, collapsible clothes rack to drytowels and swim suits outside. The list can keep going on and on.

https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

all that was said is more than true, you just kind of add things till you finally get to a point either you have it all or run out of room.........but don't forget a good 12 bottle wine cooler.......

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:05 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I'm thinking back to my previous trailer. It came with an awning hook, so hopefully you have that. As a minimum I would recommend...
Sewer hose (10')
water pressure regulator
leveling wood or lynx levelers
30 amp electrical ext cord (25')
White potable water hose(25')
Tool box with tool assortment - use a prepackaged kit that you can pick up anyplace
Duct tape
Axe for firewood
Basic cooking and eating utensils

Everything else is personal preference, but a good idea to have extra sewer hoses and an extra water line. I didn't begin with a water filter but would highly recommend one. For your first trip nice to go out with someone who has experience. If you're short something then they're likely to have it.

If you consider the TV mandatory (I don't) and you are camping where cable is available then you will want at least 25' cable line.

My last fall camping trip, even with extra gear, I found my self short of...
1. sewer hose...even with 30' I needed more
2. cable - 25' was not long enough
3. didn't have water filter spare parts and needed an O-ring.

Start with the basics and add later. Find out what you think you need. However, small, light and multi purpose are good rules to use when purchasing something.

Enjoy!

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:06 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

thank you to everyone that posted. Great ideas! I guess this is a learn as you go hobby after you get the basics down. Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:46 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Walmart has really good prices on leveling blocks, 2 packs is not too many as you can put some under the leveling jacks. Water pressure regulator, cheap insurance if you've read some posts regarding flooded trailers. Don't scrimp on the sewer hose, it's definitely a situation of getting what you pay for. The Rhino flex with the fitting for the sewer pipe and an extra extension is nice, take it from someone who replaced thecheapie poop hose that was included with the RV, they puncture quite easily. Flashlight(s), extra batteries, the little fan for the refridgerator,a wet suit (rain!) for setting up camp in the rain, cordless drill for running down the jacks, and very important, especially after this past week, a weather radio, 20 or 30 bucks from radio shack or ? Get one with battery backup should the power go out. And limes and olives (for the gin)
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:52 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Trevor---where are you located ? The Factory Rally is coming up in July. It would be a great place to get "acclimated!"
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
Old 06-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I also use safety jacks that I put under the rear stabilzers this is a quick and easy method to help with the rocking and rolling. The only other suggestion that I have is bring DW and lots of beer, after all you will need some one to bring you the beer while you are in your lounge chair?? Oh did not any body mention the camp chairs?? have fun

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:20 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Don't forget a surge protector. I have a 30 amp Surge Guard portable model, around $230 at any number of on-line stores including CW. If you buy this be sure to get the locking hasp with a padlock to keep it from walking away from your campsite.

We have a Coleman portable lantern that comes apart into four separate smaller LED lanterns.

As you can see, there is no end to the amount of money one can spend. The RV is just a small part.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo

Don't forget a surge protector. I have a 30 amp Surge Guard portable model, around $230 at any number of on-line stores including CW. If you buy this be sure to get the locking hasp with a padlock to keep it from walking away from your campsite.

We have a Coleman portable lantern that comes apart into four separate smaller LED lanterns.

As you can see, there is no end to the amount of money one can spend. The RV is just a small part.
I think you mean the RV is the cheapest part of camping

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Much to my suprise no-one mentioned a tire iron (lug nut wrench) and a bottle jack (remember to jack on the frame as per Lipperts manual) and beer.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Here is a list that I found on the net. It is a nice start to the long list of things you may end up having or having to do

http://www.arbutusrv.ca/RVChecklistWordDoc.pdf

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

I live in New Jersey. Where is the rally. That sounds like a great place to learn.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

One item I highly recommend is a clear 45 degree elbow for the drain. Put it on and leave it on (the cap cord should be long enough to close it even with the short pipe in place). That way you can always check that you didn't have a leak in one of your valves before you try and remove the cap. My cousin learned the hard way that not knowing what is behind the cap is a very bad situation.

08 Ford F350 SRW LB SuperDuty</font>
ggates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordog

I live in New Jersey. Where is the rally. That sounds like a great place to learn.

Near Shipshewana Indiana, near the factory, includes a tour. End of July. Check out "factory rally"
Old 06-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #20
jeb
Family Vacation Member

If you don't wish to spend the money on a surge protector right now, perhaps you can pick up a voltage meter at CW for a lot less money. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ge-meter/29375

At least then, you'll be able to monitor the voltage for a while and see how stable it is.

Ultimately, you'll have to figure out what you want to haul around and what you'll want to leave at home....and this will change depending on the time of year and type of campground you are heading for. If, for instance, it has full hookups, you probably wouldn't want to haul a generator around with you and you might not fill your water tank more than partially.

One thing I would also highly recommend is Good Sam road service. It's not expensive and comes in very handy when you blow a tire...on an interstate...in the rain...in the middle of the night....and the tire is on the road side of the trailer.

Have fun and relax. That's what it's all about!

If you really need something, your neighbors will probably be glad to help you out.

That's just the way we are.

Edited by: jeb
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote