Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
New Camper

Why do you always see extra sewer hoses on sale ,,,,does the one you get with the camper not always work at the campsite,,do you need longer ???? thanks,jeff
Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Let me tell you a little tale about my last camping trip ... better known as the trip from .

The campsite I was on had the sewer dump at the street. In order to get level I had to pull most of the way to the other side of the pull through. Now mind you, I've had this problem before and carry two hoses with a hose connector. Well, on this site the two hoses didn't reach far enough. Normally not a problem but I didn't have enough hose to reach the dump drain at the street even if I backed up the end of the trailer to the street. I ended up acquiring another hose (now I have three) and another hose connector.

Most modern sites have the sewer dump about the middle to 1/3 from the rear of the trailer which generally allows for one hose. Many older campgrounds have the sewer dump at the street. Worse, some you share someplace between campsites. It pays to be prepared, ie buy what you will probably need at some point, but buy it on sale ... not at camp store pricing.

Edited by: papa2

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with all of that and if you got the cheerer hose you will eventually get a hole in it.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

yes. sometimes you might need different lengths.i carry a 10' and a 20'. i can also attach them together if i needed. when i have full hook ups i seem to use my 20' most. if i have to dump out when leaving a campground i'll pull close to the dump out and use my 10'.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Ido the same as spinella, I carry a 10' and a 20' with a coupler in case I need to put the two together (which I have). I bought the triple wrap from CW and have had them for about 4 years now with no issues.

I also believe if you keep it off the ground ona sewer hose support it will last a lot longer. Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Well add me to the list that carries a few spares as well. As mentioned, you just never know when you might need an extra hose to make a connection or if the main hose gets damaged or a hole in it. Just make sure to be the heaviest duty you can as they will last longer then the cheaper ones that are out there. Did that once(cheap hose) when I was a noobie and first time I stretched it out to make the connection...rip. Always be prepared for the unexpected.
Of course this is not limited to sewer hoses either. Do a search on the forums and you will see that most of the things people carry is because at one time they needed it and did not have it. For example, I carry about 5-6 sets of lynx levelers, 2-extra power cords, bag of bungee cords, 10-ton bottle jack, and the list goes on. Wife usually asks when I buy an extra something, don't we have one of those already, I say yes, but remember when we were at "fill in blank campground", we did not have it. That usually ends the conversation, at least for the time being.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Typically the one they "give" you is the thinnest POS they can muster. Buy yourself a good one like the Rhino which I bought in two 10' sections, has twist lock fittings and a 90 degree poop pipe fitted end.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have more than likely the finest collection of sewer pipe of any body. I think that Keith can attest to that. I just seem to end up in places that are hook up challenged . I have two 10 foot hoses one 20 foot hose and one 15 foot hose, plus an assortment of other set ups. On the other hand Janet goes for patio lights that another story

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I don't have as much as fhenn has but I cary an extra 10' as some of the connections have been to the rear of the spot. I have one of those hose holders that slope the hose to the drain but it sometines falls off and then creats a low point that sometime is a pain. I do not dump until the tanks are 1/2 or more so I can monitor it as I dump.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I think fhenn wins thetrophy. I keep one 20' and two 10' and have had to neededall of them at once at a campground in SC.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

George and Debi...If your hose comes off the slinky, try wrapping velcro to hold the hose tight. On a 10' hose I will wrap it 3X and they neverfall off the slinky. Works great.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

I do the same thing Stan. Never has fallen off
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Yes definitely get a good quality sewer hose, it is worth the extra that you pay for it. I have a few myself a 20 ft and 2-10ft. It seems to get done what I want it to.

I havent camped alot but when I did last year it needed the extra and was glad that I had it.

Also I use a plastic gutter that I modified with 2-8 ft sections that I can lay my sewer hose into. I have the slinky type also but it seemed to not hold as well as I wanted it to and did fall off once.

So I made the 2 plastic gutter mod, and it is deep enough that the hose doesnt come out of it.

Someday I will take pics of it and add it to the mods sectionBut right now in MI Im sure that it is all frozen together in its fence post holder under the TT.

Wishing for summer to hurry up and get here! Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn
I have more than likely the finest collection of sewer pipe of any body. I think that Keith can attest to that. I just seem to end up in places that are hook up challenged . I have two 10 foot hoses one 20 foot hose and one 15 foot hose, plus an assortment of other set ups. On the other hand Janet goes for patio lights that another story

Too funny!

I would not skimp on sewer hose.Don't forgetthat the sewer hose is the only thing standing between you and what is inside of it!

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

(I have more than likely the finest collection of sewer pipe of any body. I think that Keith can attest to that.)

Yes I can, at the Texas rally last year we had to take him into town to get more sewer hose. He already had quite a collection.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I have seen the rain gutter on folks that full time in a location and was looking into that but I think I will try Keith's velcro idea. See that is why this forum is so great... just look at all the ideas.

george

Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

For anyone who uses the rain gutters to support the sewer line... Where do you store the gutter?

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Hi Lonnie,

I have a 5" square plastic fence post mounted under the TT by the drain openings. The gutters fit perfect into it along with 30ft of sewer hose with the attachments too. So everything is in 1 place for the sewer hose, and it is all right by the drain itself. I will take pics later on today and try to post them later. Its only 16 here right now so I dont see anything being able to be pulled out today.

Brian

Old 02-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Here are the pics of the sewer hose storage. I cant take credit for the design, I searched for a while to get the sewer hose storage that I wanted that was easy to access and found this design for the end capsonline and went with it. I think the planswere on RV.net.

Here is the picture of the business side of the tube. It has a screen door spring on the door holding everything in with conduit holders on the door hatch side and little D-clips holding the spring to the fence post itself (the D-clips are riveted in so no hang ups inside like a screw may if used). I liked this idea because it meant no locks hasps, etc to open the tube. Just grab the door and pull it down and it is open.

On this side it isnt obviously going to be used alot so instead of the extra expense of adding another screen door spring, and hardware, I just simply bought 2 latches that had a hole trhough them for a lock of some kind and put one on each side and shut them and then added the cotter pin to keep them from opening up. I got these on closeout from Lowes for like .84 cents. They hold this side nice and tight and with the cotter pins holding them shut wont open, but can still be opened if needed by removing the cotter pins.

In the underside of the fence post I also added a soffit vent with a screen, (a really narrow vent) which lets water drain out of the middle of it if need be and it lets it have more opening for fresh air to dry everything out good.

Now the two gutter pieces fit inside one another, then there is a chain hooked onto one of the gutter ends to hold the gutter piece end up by the drain for the TT. I slide the one gutter inside the other one with the chain, then put my sewer hose inside, then all the adapters, etc. then slide it all inside the fence post with the chained side out. This way all you have to do is grab the chain and pull and the gutter sections and all hardware come out in its own little drawer made from the gutter.

When I put the two gutter pieces together that was the tricky part of the mod. One of the gutters has about 1/8" cut off the top of the gutter edges, both of them. This means that when the gutters are inside each other 1 doesnt stick up further than the other one. So you go and get a gutter conecter piece, sand out the inside stop pieces and then when the two gutters are together, put the conecter over them both which then the conecter clips over the two gutters, and it holds them together so that they wont fold up on each other.

Any questions please just let me know

Brian

Edited by: fixit5561

Old 02-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by J & A
Why do you always see extra sewer hoses on sale ,,,,does the one you get with the camper not always work at the campsite,,do you need longer ???? thanks,jeff
Sometimes, the supplied hose will be enough and sometimes not. It all depends on the campground and where the sewer pipe is. We carry two hoses, a 10 foot and 20 foot hose. That gives us the flexibility of 10, 20 or 30 feet of hose and before you ask, yes I've laid out 30 feet of hose.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote