Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
New Camper

I have the Crossroad Sunset Trail Reserve 29SS. Before we leave a site I drain the Black water then the Grey. Then put about a litre of water back in the Black tank and put in 2 Porta Pak deodorizers. After traveling any distance the is an awful smell everywhere in the trailer that take days to get rid of. It only smells after we travel and doesn't smell if I use the sani-flush system. Any Ideas or answers?
AMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

It sounds like your not rinsing the tank enough and not putting enough water in the tank with the chemical. I will add 2-3 gallons on water (10-12 liters) when I add chemical. That way the driving will slosh the sides of the tank and mix with the chemical to cut back on odors. Another thing to check is to make sure your toilet holds a little water after flushing. This acts like a barrier for sewer odors from the holding tank. My toilet will hold water for days.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
Site Team

I would suggest you use the flush system real good, every time you drain your black tank.

If you haven't used the GEO method, I would also recommend that.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
New Camper

Thanks for theadvice Stan and Old Farmer. I was at my folks place and was using a bucket to drain system so was unable to use sani flush but will try to add more water before draining and traveling. cheers
Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

We also get an odor if we don't flush the tank after2 trips, 1 trip skipped and we are ok. We have learned to always flush it. We also use the geo method and will occasionally add some bleach to it as well. The other things to make sure you are doing: close your roof vents before travel, leave a little water in the toilet bowl to cover the seals, close the lid of the toilet, and add3-4 gal of water in the black tank with your chemicals of choice.

The geo method- https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I also Drain tanks and refill the black tank a bit as you do.

Also i run water spigots a bit to keep the drain traps full (sinks,Tubs). If the traps get sucked dry while dumping the tanks there will be direct path to the nasty fumes. That is why we have traps in the RV's and Homes.. Keep em full. They do dry up. You could also plug the drains with drain plugs. Helps keep drain traps full and fumes out.

I also close the roof vents and windows. I don't want any weird vacuum happening sucking my traps dry or pulling in any odors.

It is kinda of my travel check list.

Dump tanks
5 gallons of clean water in the black tank (little bit of water helps slosh and break up solids stuck on walls)
5 gallons water in Grey and Galley tanks.
1/2 full fresh water
Fill drain traps
Install drain plugs
Shut windows and vents
Run hot water tank before i leave, So i have hot water while i travel.

There is nothing like driving for 12 to 14 hours to only stop for the night with a camper full of waist tank fumes.

The other decision i have been pondering is, Tanks Empty while i travel.. I saw a camper along the road last year. A tire blew out and took out the sewer line.. Stinkies everywhere. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Edited by: danskool

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
New Camper

Thanks again everyone, as a newbie there are a lot of tricks to learn so I appreciate the input
Old 06-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I tried a version of the GEO method last time out. 1/2 cup dishwashing liquid, 2 cups Borax softener, and abt 3.5 gal of water. I dumped the mixture in the tank before leaving the house. After 3 days camping absolutely zero smell of any kind. Even the blue stuff I had been using starts smelling after 2-3 days, not bad just a strong chemical smell. With that mixture, no smell. I dumped and flushed before leaving the campground and when I got home added another dose of the mixture ready for the next trip. No smell even after 1 1/2 months sitting... Yeah I know we haven't had much camping time lately.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I echo Danskool
Empty or dried out traps has often been the culprit.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Check your toilet seals. If the bowl doesn't retain water the sewer gas will enter the coach. Same thing if the gasket to the tank and base of the toilet isn't intact. The situation is worse if you leave a roof vent open while traveling, if there is a bad seal it'll act like a vacuum and stink up the trailer....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote