Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
New Camper

shore power

I had my 5th wheel plugged in at home and everything worked fine. Went to a camp site and seconds after plugging in , the breaker on the campsite pole tripped. Tried again and same results. I tried 2 other sites and had the same results. I then tried with all breakers in my camper turned off and the breaker on the camp pole still tripped. Any ideas where to start to resolve this concern?
10rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like either something happened to your cord/cords between home and the campground. Are you using the exact same cord/cords setup as at home? It's also possible the campground has a huge electrical problem.

I carry one of these to check the pole on the site before plugging in.

https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instru...70_&dpSrc=srch

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
Gone Traveling

One of those testers is good to have, but a surge protector/EMS is a MUST HAVE for ALL rvs in my opinion. Yes they are pricey, but so is a fridge, microwave, & 2 or 3 televisions along with lots of other sensitive electronics onboard. Portable or hard wired will protect your rv from faulty campground wiring & help you diagnose whether it's your problem or theirs.
As to your current issue, if it worked at your last stop or at home it's most likely the campground pedestals are the problem, now to just convince them.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
New Camper

may have to obtain one of those. I am back at home now and the breaker on my house trips as soon as I plug my trailer in now. ( same plug that i had previously used at home )..and i am using same cord both places..
10rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Progressive industries. Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
New Camper

Had the same problem a few years ago, turns out another camper close to us had his battery wires backwards causing everyone's breakers to go.
Pamalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamalot View Post
Had the same problem a few years ago, turns out another camper close to us had his battery wires backwards causing everyone's breakers to go.
That's probably just the excuse they gave, I'm not an electrician but I don't think that could cause an entire park to lose power. The poor soul that did that most likely had a lot of repairs/replacements of electrical items.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote