Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi All,

I'd like to share an experience we had at a campground last month. I don't recall the name, I can check with the DW who always knows that stuff. It was in GA.

I hooked up the electric to the 35RL. Then, I let the DW know it was OK to put the slide-outs out. The electric bed room one was very slow and got slower as it went. It finally got all the way open and I thought I might have to take a look at it when we got back and possibly take it in for repair.

Later that evening, the DW needed to use the microwave. It was not working. I checked the outlet with a lamp and found that it was dead. I checked the fuse and it was OK. Wow! Another problem with trip number 2. I got an extension cord and got the microwave going.

The next day while the DW was getting her beauty sleep, I looked at the microwave probelm again. This time I got out the meter and started checking things. When I got to the Power Center, I found no ACon one side of the box. This side of the box controls the converter, the microwave and the water heater. Hmm.

Looks like I wasn't getting one leg of power from the 50A plug. Luckily, I had a 50 to 30 dogbone. I put it in place and viola the power was restored to both sides of the breaker box. The power pole at the camp site was only putting out one side of theA/C to the 50a amp outlet. I checked and both breakers were tied together and in the on position.

I now am thinking that I'll add some type of meter or meters that will show the AC voltage on both sides of the Control Center.

Craig

2011 35RL

2011 F350

casmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I just had the same problem at home. Loose wire on outlight.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Just be thankful it wasn't the ground wire that was open, then you would have had 240v instead of 120v and fried a few things. Really important to verify shore power before plugging in, or have an effective surge protector when dealing with 50 amp service.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

if you can share the name of the park,live in ga.and visit lot's of ga. parks also have noticed similar problems at some state parks

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
Just be thankful it wasn't the ground wire that was open, then you would have had 240v instead of 120v and fried a few things. Really important to verify shore power before plugging in, or have an effective surge protector when dealing with 50 amp service.
I could be wrong, sure wouldnt be the first time, but I believe the "neutral" wire is the one to cause you to put 240 on your camper. Ground should never normally have power/current on it. JMHO

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Yep,it was quite an eye opener. I've been shopping around and reading up on the different devices that protect the AC input. There are several types. And, as I said before, I'm going to put in a couple of meters to see the two legs of my 50A service. BTW, with 30A service you'd only need one meter.

You know, with the amount of money these TTs cost and the years and years of known problems with CG wiring, you'd think these units would come with devices designed and chosen by engineers that would protect us. We have to do the research ourselves. I've heard tons of stories about people that have blown up stuff just by not being a seasoned camper. The new campers have to learn the hard way unless they are fortunate enough to learn by other people's experiences.

I'm going to search through the forum and see if there has been a topic about this. If so maybe I'll get enough info to install these things. If there's no topics on this I'll open a new one up and we can discuss what can be done. Or, if anyone already has some expertise on this subject they can chime in and enlighten us.

Thanks goodness for these forums.

Thanks,

Craig

2011 RF35RL, 2011 F350 DRW
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Glad things did not turn out worse.....I have also been researching some power protection items, but have not made any decisions as of yet.....figure I have until March....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Site Team

casmith, here is a link. I think it pertains to what you are wondering about.
http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...=2154&PN=1

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I check the post before pluging in with a meter. You can check 50a by putting the meter in the lowest plug and checking for 120v to the left side and then the right. Then check for 240v between the left and right. then check for zero between the left and right to the top plug (ground). If your meater has a hard time getting to the prongs in the plug you can get a replacement plug and drill small hole for the meter leads over the connectors in the plug.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I'm pretty sure it was the Flint River KOA in Bainbridge, GA.

Craig

Old 11-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I had kind of the same problem at Meramac Caverns in Mo, plug in and everything seemed to work ok, turned on TV and it would come on then go off, had DW try Microwave and it came on ok, New FW so thought maybe TV was on the Fritz, then plugged in our ceramic heater and it would only run at low speed. DW went to heat up coffee in Microwave and it would run but not heat up. Then I put 2 and 2 together and checked voltage at pole, it was around 90v, guy next to me was having same problem. Ranger happen to come by and said where we were at about two times a year it floods and outlets are under water. Come to find out contacts were corroded, tried a different outlet and it worked ok. same for guy next to me. Glad it wasnt summer and tried using A/C it could have damaged that.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:35 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

You'relucky nothing was damaged. I'm researching as we speak. For surge protection I've settled on the Progressive Industries HW50C. I'm looking for the best price now. For voltage boost, I'm leaning toward the Powermaster VC-50.

If anyone has comments on these products or any others I'd appreciate it.

FWIW, I've read that you go through the booster 1st then through the surge protector.

Craig

Old 11-18-2011, 12:35 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPete
Quote:
I could be wrong, sure wouldnt be the first time, but I believe the "neutral" wire is the one to cause you to put 240 on your camper. Ground should never normally have power/current on it. JMHO

GAPete,

Yes, You wouldneed two 110vlegs to get the 220 voltage. No ground here. If ground was truly ground in the box, you would only use one of the two 110legs and still only get 110v.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

casmith
thanks

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
hhh
Seasonal Camper

One good reason to get a power conditioner. Just a few days ago I plugged mine in and it showed reverse polarity. It prevented the power from tuning on. This is apotentiallydeadly condition.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPete
Quote:

You are right, I was being loose using "ground", something that is more familiar than "neutral" to most people. On the other hand, 240v is already in the camper normally and since the RV lacks an earth ground, faulty wiring at the cg or power cord can result in 240v on a 120v circuit. That was the main point. By comparison, 30 amp setups only have 120v inside the RV.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote