Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Nowhere else do I have an odor except for when I get in shower and turn it on...there is a sulfur like smell when I first start the shower water...I have my 5er in a seasonal site in which we have city water hook up (not well water) Anyone have a fix for this?

Seasonal Site, Autumn Lakes Campground-Sunbury, Ohio

https://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/DSCF0342.jpg
krazed5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I will guess this is the anadod ( Sp ? ) rod in the hot water heater. I bet if you smell the hot water at the sinks you will smell it. I think you can just remove this and dicard it.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I do not have an annode...Atwood hot water tanks do not need them...I called and talked to rep at Atwood, and he says that if used (annode) could void warranty...he said yes, they are made and on packaging it says can be used in Atwood hot water tanks, but not to. I never have an odor from hot water in bathroom sink or kitchen sink, just shower...I put some chemical down the drain, but that did not seem to help. I have whole house filter and a soft water/ion filter.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

A sulphur smell from the shower only is probably caused by a slime mold growing in your drain. I have a similar issue from time to time in my home with a sink drain. Using bleach in the drain usually solves this problem, just make sure there are no other cleaners present as the combination of bleach and cleaners can cause a toxic release of chlorine gas. There are several bleach type cleaners that come in a gel form to allow them more contact time in your drain.

Bill K.
billyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

About the only times we have ever had a sulfer smell is when we are on unfiltered well water or if the water has sit in the water heater tank to long. We never drain the water heater because we use the trailer year round but I do use the device below a couple of times a year to clean it out and you would be surprised how much crud comes out when you flush it. I know you said it is not coming from the hot water in the sinks but it might be worth a try.

http://www.tweetys.com/waterheaterflushingtool.aspx
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the info guys.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I have to repeat what Hunter11 said. I always fill my water tank at home with well water that goes thru the water softner. Can't have bad hair days while camping ya know!!!Anyway we have periods of a week or two that we do not use are camper so we always have to drain the water tank and the water heater. I learned the hard way that if untreated water sets for more than a few days it will smell like sulphur everytime. I also put a small amount of bleach in the water tank before I fill it just to get any critters out that might try to grow.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote