Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Shower cold water shut off is counterclockwise

Just getting our new SS26 ready for it's maiden trip next week and in the process of de-winterizing it, I noticed that the cold water shower faucet shuts off counterclockwise. Did I get one with the incorrect stem or are these TT's designed that way. I have never seen this including our previous 2 TT's.

This is a really annoying "feature" and if they are designed that way, I am going to replace the shower faucet assembly to one that is normal for this world.
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You must have single handle (ball or lever) faucets at home. Two handle faucets have been this way for years. It's easy to see and understand when the handles are levers, but when they are knobs or crosses, it is confusing. Here's a story: Bad Designs - Which way do you turn the handles?
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

You may be right, however I have not seen these before in all the houses I have owned. Our previous TT, a Heartland had a total of 3 sinks, a tub, an outside shower and all were clockwise to turn off. Our TT before that was a Pioneer with 2 sinks, a tub and an outside shower, and all were also clockwise. This new one has 3 sinks, a shower, and an outside shower and the only one that is not clockwise is the shower. My dealer said he is starting to see these. I agree that levers would make a difference. Ill just have to get used to it or cough up the few dollars to replace the faucet assembly (only about $25 from what i can see)

On another note, how many of you have had issues with the PDI done on your new TT? We got ours home and i discovered the auto level system had crisscrossed wires at the main board so the jacks were paired diagonally. I fixed that myself. Yesterday i found the 12v pump to be anemic, at best, no where close to 3gpm. I also see that it is not a Shur-flo pump.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delillo View Post
On another note, how many of you have had issues with the PDI done on your new TT? We got ours home and i discovered the auto level system had crisscrossed wires at the main board so the jacks were paired diagonally. I fixed that myself. Yesterday i found the 12v pump to be anemic, at best, no where close to 3gpm. I also see that it is not a Shur-flo pump.
There might be a misconception here. There are two inspections done on an RV at the dealer. The first, upon delivery from the vending source (manufacturer or other dealer, or trade-in) is done by the dealer to check it out for themselves. The PDI is done by the buyer, with the dealer's assistance, for the buyer to check it out prior to acceptance. It is the buyer's responsibility to go through item by item, make sure everything works and at least looks right. I had my dealer run it through city water, tank water, gray and black drains, all appliances (in every mode, i.e. gas/electric/12 volt), stereo operation, antenna, etc, etc. There is, on this board, a very thorough PDI inspection checklist. The time before signing acceptance is the only time you have the upper hand; don't give it away! Don't let a dealer tell you, "Don't worry about it, I'll do a great PDI for you!"
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Agreed, it was my fault for not going through each and every item, however a PDI is an inspection done to a unit by the dealer BEFORE it is offered for sale. I have 40 years in fixed operations in dealers and at no time would a vehicle be placed on the ready line until we were satisfied with it. There is nothing worse than a customer discovering an issue at delivery or very shortly after. When that happens, you, as a dealer, are now digging yourself out of a hole to gain that trust back. This, of course, does not include thise rare times that parts fail at the most embarrasing times. I should mention that we paid $800 for this PDI.

Absolutely my fault for not demanding a more detailed delivery review. Shame on me.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delillo View Post
Agreed, it was my fault for not going through each and every item, however a PDI is an inspection done to a unit by the dealer BEFORE it is offered for sale. I have 40 years in fixed operations in dealers and at no time would a vehicle be placed on the ready line until we were satisfied with it. There is nothing worse than a customer discovering an issue at delivery or very shortly after. When that happens, you, as a dealer, are now digging yourself out of a hole to gain that trust back. This, of course, does not include thise rare times that parts fail at the most embarrasing times. I should mention that we paid $800 for this PDI.

Absolutely my fault for not demanding a more detailed delivery review. Shame on me.

I have never paid for a PDI! I don't remember of ever hearing of anybody having to pay for one. As far as I know, this is an expected service from the dealer to the customer and is more then likely figured into the cost of the unit to begin with.
I don't know what trade or business you were in for 40 years, but it's certainly to bad the RV industry doesn't follow in those footsteps.
Now days, the RV manufactures and the dealers almost ALL of them do not have a very good reputation for how the customer is dealt with. It's a dirty rotten shame. I'm not trying to rub salt in the wounds just trying to vent some of my own frustrations I guess.

After all that, let me wish you the best of luck with your new rig, and many happy camping trips.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Smile

Lloyd,

You are correct, the RV industry is nothing like the auto industry. There is no accountability for poor service or products. My experience in autos started as a unit repairman back when we actually rebuilt assemblies instead of replacing-transmissions, alternators, cylinder heads, etc. It lead to a long successful career as a Fixed Operations Director for the #1 Jaguar dealer in the country (at the time). We had Lemon Laws that were strict and in the 80's, Jag wasnt exactly the trouble-free product. At the time, dealers were charged 4% of the invoice of each vehicle ordered from the factory and the money was held in reserve to be paid back if we met certain criteria, of which 2% was for customer satisfaction scores. Despite the product issues, we still managed to get our reserve money every month (amounted to couple hundred thousand a month). Thats the biggest reason for my hair turning grey long ago. For my previous two rigs, i did not have any issues during the token one year warranty and anything that came up, i fixed as i dont trust the dealers.
As far as PDI costs, you can bet that you were probably charged somewhere in the deal as its just a game of numbers. A shell game.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

#1 - There's NO WAY a rv dealer is going to fix anything until a buyer spots the problem other than "do the wheels roll", then most can't or won't fix it after the sale. #2 - If they'd asked to be paid for my PDI, when taking possession, I'd have told them where to stick their rv.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote